View Single Post
Old 15-09-2016, 16:28   #18
Matrix
Administrator

Post Civilization VI

The game has been announced a while ago already, but not a single word has been spilled about the next in the Civ series on this site! Are we such old farts that we have completely lost our ability to produce a little enthusiasm about the next version of the game of games? Or was our disappointment in Civ5 so great that it has quenched our anticipation and we now await it from a distance with our arms folded?

Anyway,
Stacks of Doom are still not possible, but you can combine certain types of units. To be honest, I've never played Civ5 long enough to find out how one unit per tile changed the tactics. But it's not hard to imagine it increases the 'chess' component. Especially with hexagons.

Spread out cities. Actually they're not really spread out. It's just that buildings are now using tiles rather than that you can only use tiles for farming and mining and such. Buildings of the same type can be built on the same tiles, because those tiles are designated districts: science (library, university, laboratory), religion (temple, cathedral, what more)... And world wonders use up a whole tile. Basically, the effect of it is that during a war, severe damage can be done without actually conquering a single city. Plus...how does this effect food, production and commerce? Things that we are used to boost by terrain improvements.

Civilizations their characteristic capabilities seem to be a lot more extensive than in the past! They have a unique unit and unique building, but in addition also some or more other traits that will change the game drastically with every other civ you play. Check out this YouTube playlist to see what different civilizations are capable of. I think that will be a more rigorous game changer than the tile districts of cities.

But with the districts and the civ-specific capabilities, I think the way Civilization's trinity (food, production and commerce) is handled will be quite different from what we're used to!

I am definitely curious and...mildly excited.
But I'll have to do a demo before I actually buy the game.

Last edited by Matrix; 15-09-2016 at 16:30.
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote