Thread: Future of CDZ?
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2007, 10:27   #25
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

Don't get me wrong, I think it still would be nice, but this would also mean that somebody had to do it. From what I found out via Google, vB seems to be the superior choice when it comes to features, security and SEO capabilities.
Upgrading to vB has been the plan. I saw that Propain has had his cyclingchampion forum upgraded from snitz to vB. I'm willing (better, want) to maintain this new vB forum, and I'm willing to learn how to do this. I should get into contact with Propain or the cc.com admin to see if he can help with the upgrade. He has to activate the new domain name anyway.

I think the forum should be kept simple. I'm thinking of a merger between the front page and active topics, with limited news items and featured threads. That way it's clear to everyone what the site is about. Although this should be possible with snitz as well, my preference is vB. I understand that most posters feel the front page is obsolete. I can understand this, because you are already a member. I feel that visitors/new members have a hard time figuring out what the forum is about, a good front page/active topics merger could fix this. Besides, featuring some threads/spoilers will increase attention to those threads. A. Good. Thing. Spoilers should be encouraged. Perhaps we should make some people write single player walkthroughs, I'm sure that'd attract a lot of attention.

To return to the ladder: we've had some issues in the past with it that were a real turn-off for most of the "older" members. These issues would arise if we reinvigorate the ladder. Besides that, I think the competitive nature of such a ladder isn't really fitting with our equalitarian forum spirit.

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune after all, not some fancy self-perpetuating autocracy.