View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

I started my new session with vassalizing myself to the Byzantine bitch. Sadly this is the only way I see to keep my lands. I don't think being a vassal will change a lot for me, besides paying a quarter of my profit to the empress. That, and all my lands get renamed in greek.

Now that I don't need to worry about Byzantine invasions I start a war with the rival republic of Pisa (I noticed that Genua somehow got wiped out, which is a pity). With the help of a minor mercenary band (and, I have to admit, the fact that they were at war with Sicily and that my new liege and wife of the Sicilian king send over a 15k stack did help a bit as well) I defeat the Pisans and grab one of the tradeposts on Italy's eastern shore. Because that tradepost is in my family's trade zone means that it'll give me a lot of revenue. Another option is to get their demesne and really hurt their income and levy size. I get the option to go for the Sardinian cities, but those are quite remote. I'd rather get Capua, but for some reason that is not an option.

The new Billung emperor (three Billungs in a row, the AI is definetely better at this game than I am) is not immediately popular, and I take advantage of the Hollander league independence war by grabbing Pescara.

Meanwhile, some random duke is pushing for the title of Basileus. Strangely enough he even wins, which means the bitch empress is deposed. What's even stranger: suddenly I'm independent again. That's not a situation I want to be in now, but if this means I become independent every time the emperor dies, then this is an easy way to get out of vassalization. It might make sense if the fealty is personal. Or maybe it's because my main title isn't within the de jure realm of the ERE (although it'll drift there in 100 years). Anyway, long story short:

The new basileus likes me. Or maybe he doesn't, but he grants me a honorary title anyway:

Because the title is in greek, I can't make out if "anthypatos" is A Good Thing (tm) or not. It does grant me a prestige bonus though.

I fight another trade war with Pisa. I strategically picked the tradepost of Salerno.

With Salerno, the southern part of my tradezone is connected again with the northern part. This means a big boost in tradezone value.