View Single Post
Old 23-04-2013, 09:43   #44
Shabbaman
Administrator

The Golden Horde invaded Poland. Twice. The second time I was otherwise occupied, so the Horde annexed Poland. So what does the mighty king of Germany do? Call for a holy war!

Holy wars are pretty cool, it's the easiest way to grab a lot of land.

Unfortunately, even with holy wars, you have to obey truce... and in the meanwhile, the Golden Horde converted to orthodox christianity. In other words: not pagan, so no holy war. That's a bit of a pity. I could wait to find out if they convert back, or if they even remain hostile. It could be that their tribal conquest CB requires them to be pagan. That would be interesting to find out. However, that's about the only thing that's still interesting in this game: Germany is so huge it can even crush the Golden Horde's stacks of doom on it's own. Playing has become tedious. I have not achieved my main goals: creating Frisia, and exterminating the HRE. The HRE is down to a few duchies, but with the truce slowing down conquest... that'd be tedious. I could create Frisia if I got a dutch tutor for an heir, so I'll check that as "achieved".

What's next? Believe it or not, I started a game of civ5. I'm already winning (apparently building your capital on a choke point with archers behind is a nice way to get the AI to put it's units in the meat grinder), so I guess that'll be enough of that. I've restrained buying Victoria 2 for a week, and the discount is only for another 10 hours. Victoria is said to have the best implementation of economics of all Paradox grand strategy games, so I have to admit that it's tempting... temptation, temptation... However, I still haven't played the Republic and Byzantine DLC for CK2. From what I've seen of Byzantine games is that they inevitably end in owning the whole map, I can't say that prospect thrills me. So, merchant republic it is.