View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 22:16   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default PP vs Stapel ** spoiler **

Started a game against Stapel. We both play the dutch.

demigod level, small map size, archi

first moves
Killer made the map and he gave me a great starting position. Safe to say Stapel got the same.

I decide to settle on the spot and go curragh. It's an archi map, so little chance of barbs, and early contacts can make all the difference. I decide to go curragh, warrior (explore island and mp), settler, curragh. Map Making is most important I guess, because galleys are needed to transport myself to other islands. SO I start writing on max. Guess stapel will do the same as he started downloading tech calc and all.

Stapel moves before settling, a pity as now I cant follow his cap in the f11 screen. After Eindhoven (my capital) grows to 2 I get civil disorder. I need to pay more attention.

My second city is founded NE of Eindhoven and I dub it Uden. Uden starts a curragh.

voyage of discovery
My first galley sails around my southern tip and discovers lots of flood plains. My warrior also discovers lots more food, luxes and gold hills. Thank you killer. I move around my island and when the contours are clear I move east.

turn 16 - Meet the Portuguese, they have BW but wont trade.
turn 21 - Meet Carthage and see Persian border with 2nd galley.
turn 22 - meet Persia : Give Xerxes alpha for BW, Masonry and 10 gold
Trade masonry to Portugal for WC + 10 gold

Turn 23 - I meet mr. Stapel, he's 3 techs behind: BW, WC, masonry.
I dont tell stapel I met him, but he notices anyway. I ask him if he wants to trade techs but he says he doesnt own any techs I dont own.

Turn 28 - Meet Byzzie, good that's everybody! Theodora has the wheel, which is very good. Before that only the portuguese had it and they refused to sell. Buy the wheel + 10 gold for masonry. Try to get IW for it from PErsia but they want TW, Masonry, 6gpt and 40 gold. That would effectively lock down my research and give stapel a writing mono. I refuse

Turn 29 : Theodora also has IW. Suddenly Persia is willing to sell IW for the wheel and pottery. Nice.

I start sailing around Stapels island, it's exactly like mine. His cult borders tell me he settled his capital on a gold hill. He's doing a writing gambit for sure.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote