Thread: Patch thread
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2010, 01:44   #26
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

•Melee horse units combat value lowered, and now receive a penalty when attacking cities. (Added 11/18)

Probably a good thing cause I think horse units were way better than iron based units. Especially horsemen with their incredible movement. Nerfing horse city attack, don't think that will matter much but not too big a deal either.

•Lowered bonuses received from Maritime city-states. (Added 11/18)
A necessity I think.Although in mu deity game I managed fine with just 1 mar CS. So it remains to be seen how 2 nerfed Mar CS will compare to 1 current maritime CS.

•Removed maintenance from defensive buildings. (Added 11/18)
useless change

•Multiple unit upgrade track adjustments. Most (but not all) units now have a full upgrade path from start to finish. (Added 11/18)
probably a useless change as well, didn't really miss an upgrade. If this means cavalry will get an upgrade that will probably sort of diminish the horse unit nerf as their life get extended. Imho in civ III/IV the early power and mobility of horse units was counterweighted by cav being the end of the upgrade line where swords would become mech inf in the end.

•Open terrain penalty lowered. (Added 11/18)
Probably a good thing

•Policies must be selected the turn they are earned. (Added 11/18)
•Promotions must be selected the turn they are earned. If it’s as a result of combat, then the beginning of the next turn. (Added 11/18

Bad, bad, bad, especially the promotions. I'm guessing they want to prevent people saving up heals. Civ IV already showed that being able to save up a promotion is a fine mechanic. What isn't fine is that Firaxis added in the insta-heal option, which is just too powerfull. Now they're trying to 'fix' this by forcing you to choose. If they want to nerf this make the insta-heal an option for the next turn only. So if you decide not to heal, you can still save up the 'normal'upgrade.

Not being able to save up policies is in fact a pretty lame idea. It will make the post renaissance trees much less usefull. not quite sure what problem they're thinking to fix here.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote