View Single Post
Old 28-11-2005, 11:33   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik MeleetVideo Card: Geforce 6600 GT (128MB or 256MB). Alternative (More expensive, but will be up-to-date for more years) = Geforce 6800 GT.
I disgaree with your assessment on the 6800. There isn't much between the 6600 and 6800 chips. Obviously the 6800 is better, but when it comes to games that'd support it both chips will get out of date at the same time.
The GT version is especially nice for those who want to overclock it, which I doubt the clown will do. The simple 128 MB 6600 card will do for civ4, and save you a lot of money (about more than half). I have the 6600 256 MB version, more than good enough to run civ4 on high graphics settings without any problem. (the issue with this card is that it works faster than the memory bank it has, thus limiting the card to use the memory to its full potential. It's still a lot better than the 128 version)

Graphics card cost a lot these days. A cheap card like the 6600 128mb should come cheap. The simpler version of the same chipset is the 6200 (iirc), that should be ok as well. Personally I would only go for the more expensive card if you'd want to play 3d shooters (or similar games). If you buy a cheap card now, then you can always buy a new card later (since you don't waste too much this way). By then the newer chipsets (7200 family?) will be affordable.