View Single Post
Old 30-09-2006, 23:34   #10
Socrates
Emperor

In France we sometimes talk about Windows as Windaube, daube meaning shit in argotic French.

- Hehe, I also have an Athlon (1800+ : old).
- I quickly installed Ubuntu on my HD, cause the Live CD was sooo slow (slower than Civ4 ). But I didn't understand if you said you installed it on the same physical HD than Civ, or the same partition, which is an important thing to consider. Currently, I have one partition for M$ Windaube, one for data (both under NTFS), one for Ubuntu "/" (under ext3), and one for "swap" (under Linux-swap). None for "/home", but I'd do that if I didn't have a dual-boot. Where should I install Cedega or Wine or Cedega-CVS (for experiment purpose) ? And should I also install a 2nd Civ4 in the Linux partition ?
- Yes, what Cedega offers is a specialized service for recent games. But as far as I know, the guys working on Wine are guessing as much as they can how Windaube is built, so as to make the perfect API translation. It is reported that Civ4 runs, but I saw screenshots with black terrain, so... CVS seems to be the Cedega free version for people to try, but of course they won't put much effort in it, for obvious reasons. We shouldn't forget that Cedega is a compagny dealing with M$, and I don't know if they help the Linux community... And they have a monopoly on that niche market, as you said. Just like M$.
- I have a nVidia gfx card, so I have less worries than others, but it is an old card...

Like Beam, I want to explore the terrain, and I'll offer my help to CDZ adventurers in the future, because we need as many migrants as possible.