View Single Post
Old 30-09-2006, 22:08   #8
Socrates
Emperor

Beam, your thread is of high interest for me at the moment. As can be seen in a recent thread of mine, I've installed Ubuntu as well (Dapper Drake), after a guy at the Uni gave me a live CD of it. I wanted to test different things with it this weekend, but basically put that for tomorrow. One of the things was to see how to get Civ4 working on Ubuntu, so your experiment (should it continue, so as to get things improved, as you said) is valuable for me.

The only problem I have with using Cedega is this : it costs money, and I wonder why I should pay money for a game that I have already bought at a high price, to make it run on a free OS. Puzzles me, conceptually-wise (we French love concepts). Is it only 15 $ total for 3 months and then legally free ? It seems the game isn't properly working with Wine only (the free program on which Cedega is built). But there is also Cedega CVS, a free version of Cedega which isn't optimized, but I'm not sure it's working great either. In any case, I'll make some experiment too.

My goal is to switch to Linux at 100% sometime in the future. Dual boot is hell : I'm waiting for my PBEM save when my computer is running, so guess which of the 2 OS I'm using mostly ?