View Single Post
Old 30-09-2006, 20:49   #6
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grs

[sarcasm on]I don't think people needing one week to make a linux system work like a windows one will even be a splinter of windows' coffin.[sarcasm off]
First of all I'm a complete n00b to Linux and experienced users definetely will need less time to install a Linux distro, find out how to install native apps, tweak settings like screen refresh rate, find out what app to install for things like games where there is no equivalent in Linux (like Civ, except for FreeCiv which is a Civ II implementation), install 2 Civ versions and patch them etc. The only reason I'm using Cedega is for games, anything else is available in Linux and as good if not better compared to XP imo.

The nail in the Windows coffin imo is that there isn't much need to stick with it at all, unless there is a specific app you need frequently which makes switching between Linux and Windows an annoyance. I have a dual boot and leave Windows on the HD for a while just in case.

I don't understand the sarcasm btw.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

and so what was the point in all this? (coming from the computer illiterate)
Apart from being sick from Microsoft stuff for a while I got "Delayed write failure" errors couple of weeks and XP was corrupting files because of this. Even worse it did so after rebooting and corrupting every file needed to start XP so at next reboot unable to reboot.

It was a Linux Live CD making it possible to rescue valuable data and burn it to a DVD. MS has a support page for "Delayed write failure" and blames it to either hardware or network issues .

So I reinstalled a basic XP on a small partition and devoted the rest of my time to finding a nice distro and installing that.

The only thing taking some time was getting the screen refresh rate right, Ubuntu forum was of great help there. Other things like installing nVidia drivers and HP printers were a piece of cake.