View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 19:00   #15
Kemal

One subject that merits some discussions is what we will do with the map, or more specifically, who will create the map.

I might be dropping a bomb here, but I would favour to let the game create the map itself, and not use a mapmaker for this one.

Not only does this fit the historical perspective of the game (the original was played on a full random map as well, after all), but I also feel that the Civ4 generator is much more capable of balancing starting locations. It actively compares each start and modifies it with regard to early available luxes and resources, meaning that a start such as Erik had in DDPP should be out of the question. This doesn't necessarily mean all will start even, but it is a risk I personally am willing to take.

Adding to that, I think that mapmakers will need to gain some experience too by playing the game for some time first, before succesfully being able to assess the ins and outs of a fairly balanced start (as well as figuring out the ins and outs of the editor itself). No need to put that burden on someone just yet, especially for a big multihuman game.

What do you guys think?

Btw, I do not have the full game yet either, but will probably be able to play turns in about a week.