Thread: Railroads!
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:44   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default Railroads!

I got to play Sid Meier's Railroads!, a remake of the ancient Railroad Tycoon. I played that game a lot, but not as much as Transport Tycoon though. Anyway, they're basically the same, and so is Railroads.
It uses the same engine as civ4, and about every other firaxis game. It looks the same as well, which is pretty (my dad's words, and he really doesn't care about computer games. this was probably the first time I heard him say a game looks pretty) but cartoony.
I played 1 scenario, perhaps other scenario's are different. The major differences with the old game are that passengers aren't as important as they used to be, and that laying tracks is a lot more expensive, but tunnels and such are a lot less expensive. It has become very easy to lay tracks (although I couldn't figure out how to remove track). So the game has become less complex: do you pay for a tunnel, or go around the mountain?

So, there might be less visible differences (no moronic AI), but basically it's the same game. I noticed only 1 brilliant difference: you have to expand from an assigned starting point, you can't lay tracks everywhere. The game is (thus) less about claiming "that one industry". Quite important for multiplayer.

Speaking of multiplayer, I think that's what might make this game interesting. Can't think of another reason to buy it though.