View Single Post
Old 26-10-2004, 03:23   #3
Justus II

And we are underway! Big thanks to Beam for making the map! Here's my start:

39.07KB

Decisions, decisions. Do I settle on the spot (my normal preference)? Move S to the coast (hoping/betting it's saltwater, since I'm seafaring)? OR, maybe I move north-east, so I can squeeze 1-2 1st-ring coastal cities in, and hopefully be a little more centrally located. Also a better chance of finding any food bonus that might be around. I see 3 BGs, and the lux, right off the bat. Moving S would give up one BG, and pick up some sea (less shields) but it looks like there's several forest around. Well, either choice, the first tile I'll work will be the BG to the SE of the start, so I move the worker there to push back some more fog. Nothing special, another BG that can be worked from any of the 3 sites, and another forest. I finally settle on moving S to the coast, because I want to get some early curraghs out to get a feel for my starting continent.

My initial plan was to settle, get at least one exploring and one or 2 curraghs out, then build a granary (probably helped with a forest chop on the silks), before I start my expansion. No barbs to worry about, so I'm definitely going for a Farmer's gambit. But if I can find any kind of food bonus, I'll probably change and build a settler before the granary, to set up a second city as my settler factory.

Research will be on Writing first, one of the reasons I chose Dutch, so I could go full-speed for Philo while still having Pottery to start. Looking at the AI civs, England also has a shot at it (and I certainly expect Akots to go after it), so it will probably take max science (and a little luck) to get it first, but I certainly am going to try!
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote