View Single Post
Old 22-04-2004, 15:28   #12
Gothmog

When I was about ten I was fixing my bike... putting on some new gears and adjusting my chain. Had my bike suspended so I could run the pedals to test the gears. I had it all done and was quite happy with my work. I was on my knees and reached up to hit the hand brake on the bike with my left hand, at the same time for some still unexplained reason my right hand drifted towards the bike chain. The middle finger of my right hand made contact with the chain and was dragged up into the the gears to be spiked by the brand new teeth. One of the gear teeth went all the way through, penetrating my fingernail about half way down. My first instinctive tug to free my hand failed and I had to work the pedals in reverse to free my finger.

Luckily I narowly missed the bone, and did no damage to any tendons. I still have minor problems with that nail bed and a mass of scar tissue starting about a cm down from the tip.

On the plus side I wore a giant bandage on the middle finger of my right hand for the next couple months... giving everyone the permanent finger.
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote