View Single Post
Old 28-12-2008, 03:58   #479
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauer View Post
I didn't expand cause it was too much trouble. Production was slow, beakers were low. So I figured I'd just ride the "I'm the host so don't kill me" wave until the game was over
Well, actually there were some good islands up north from your start, it was a very decent land with copper and uranium, and a river. The wine island also could have been settled by you, I waited for eternity and then grabbed a northern tip of it but still there were left a lot there. Those cities would have been completely safe. It seems you just gave up after hard start.

IMO, Communism and State Property actually completely solve the upkeep problem and even without those, it is tolerable on this type of map with considerable income just from trade routes. Every city starts as a base with 6-8 income from basic 3 foreign trade routes.

With regards to Robi's start, I think, I would have gone all way out a war against Japan to see who can survive. With some chopping and slaving, a formidable army could be created quite early. But I understand your hesitation. The capital city was good and had nice research and some wonder potential, so you decided to let it grow and not go to complete total war. Well, if I did not go to war with matrix, I would also have been stuck with 6 cities and nowhere much else to go. Under ordinary circumstances, allying and good relationship with neighbor are fundamental for survival but if the lands are so limited, it basically confines you to 3-4 cities with no way out. Also, it could have been possible to build two cities instead of one on the starting piece of tundra oasis you were given. Otherwise, quite a few tiles were partially wasted. However, one city would be only a half of the city, the other half occupied with icy terrain. Still, it would give some extra food for slaving and a few hammer here and there. The capital won't be that powerful on the other hand. Well, I guess one cannot have both.

So, IMO, BCLG's were the worst of all but he actually managed some quick escape and that was very well played. Unfortunately, connection was not there, and BCLG pointed out, so it was very hard to secure treaties and advance in techs. No tech discount and no foreign trade routes for half of the game is a very tough situation.