Thread: Spore
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:07   #37
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam
I agree a limit is ridiculous, but it's not the 1st time it's been done. Unfortunately, with all the pirating going on for PC games, companies have to come up with all sorts of weird DRM to show their shareholders and investors that they are trying to protect the IP.
I understand they wanna battle piracy and I totally agree on that because I feel piracy hurts me as well. After all my games are more expensive because an amount of money is factored in the sales price to compensate lost sales. Otoh I seriously doubt if game companies would lower their prices should they know they'd sell double the amount of games, and they're certainly not prepared to take the first step (lowering prices) here and see what this would lead to, but that's a different discussion.

My problem is that this limited install measure hurts the paying customer over the pirating customer. After all, someone who gets an illegal copy will use some sort of crack to work around the install limit and have no hassle at all. So how this measure will prevent piracy is beyond me.

I do think the online check is fine as long as it's when you log on to an online service and not every ten days. That would be a rather easy and low-intrusive method to check and as long as good online content and patches are available you're rewarding the legal owners because they get a better product then the illegal owners.

Ofc that would mean that companies would have to invest time in decent online services and maybe some are too lazy for that.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote