Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mauer

There's alot of thinking going on there. My game goes something like this:

-I wonder why he's doing that
-Maybe I should build a unit
-Wonder what this does
-enter
-repeat
That is still an evaluation process. As i said people already know these thing instictively if not consciously.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

I normally have a plan, then get bored waiting for it to happen so try a different plan that takes less time to happen.
Well there is a whole essay i could write about you

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Interesting stuff Rob. What about allies in all this? I've found that having solid allies in these games has been the most critical aspect of MP. It's when different factions feel they've been wrong is when I've seen things go amiss.

One thing I like in some of the more recent games is the no tech trading. It adds an interesting dimension to that tech equation you're talking about.
Thanks for the kind words.
Allies are a whole essay of their own. And your right the difference to their shape when tech trading is on or off is huge. For this topic you can view 2 people in an alliance as a single entity since people will plan and coordinate their moves as one.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

I don't know about tension. I have no tension, only decisions to be made on quite rational basis in most cases. Otherwise, I thought it is something related to gameplay but after reading was first somewhat disappointed since it seems quite philosophical. But it's quite a refreshing point of view IMO.
I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying the individual players are in a tension or even feel tension, this is the actual game itself. Its one part of why games take on a life of there own. The rational decisions you make are based the current events of the game.

Look at this as the top level of a model, it is abstract. How it is applied depends on the conditions of the game, which in turn sets the parameters of how your going to apply the top level to the lower levels, right down to what your next build will be in a city.

This all comes from my systems engineering studies where you work from the top down. You don't start with a predetermination of what the outcome should be. Anyway before i go off on a tangent, the essay is not designed to say what you should do, its more to help improve your judgement of what you should do

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote