View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 17:55   #5
killercane
Prince

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Oh, as we are in a Civ Forum.

Let's say:
Hannibal and Caesar make a peace treaty in a computer game. Hannibal attacks Caesar nevertheless and kills him.
Caesar wants compensation for immaterial damage. Will he succeed?

BTW, does that mean you are a lawyer? Or a judge? Or whatever?
A treaty is essentially a contract between nations. The question of who can sue will turn on the issue of standing and the legal claim pursued.

If Caesar has a family member who can prove standing to bring suit, possibly they can sue for personal damages like wrongful death and the like, even without the treaty being an issue (since Caesar himself is dead and cannot therefore sue). If by Caesar you mean his country, then the next head of state will probably have standing to sue on behalf of his country in some international court of law. Also, neighboring states might have standing to sue for nuisance or possibly breach of a treaty (smoke, fire, or debris from the war wafting into their lands, causing an environmental hazard or other such things).

I assume you just mean can he sue for damages. Yes, in a civil lawsuit the plaintiff must prove damages, regardless of whether the plaintiff is a person or a governmental body.

Yes, I am a US lawyer but a lazy one. I do corporate, personal injury, and workers comp mostly.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote