Thread: Sumpin's Fishy
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 13:59   #110
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

even more good news. All 5 are alive and active this morning when I turned on the light. The nitrite was .5 ppm. I'll likely continue to do 40% water changes to make sure that these stay alive. I don't want Ana to get a complex about fish dying when they come to our aquarium
Good! Seems like a better second try. Keep up the waterchanges, that will make them happy.

Regarding the fish: They are indeed mutts/inbreeds. The whitish parts and black bars on the flanks are telltale signs of inbreeding. Also a hybridization with Labidochromis sp. Mbamba Bay. Labidochrimis sp. Hongi or Metriaclima zebra "red" seems possible.
The one "swimming upwards" on the right of your pictures is nice and yellow withour black bars so he/she could be a pure "Yellow"

On the positive side: activity, clear eyes and stretched out fins are good signs regarding their health!

What killed your other fish was most likely the nitrate and nitrite. If both were above toxic levels, then either one will have killed the fish.

I suggest you keep it like this for a week to ten days with the frequent waterchanges and tests and then see how the fish are at the end of that period...