Thread: Sumpin's Fishy
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11   #105
Tubby Rower

hmm... something is amiss. I purchased 3 rustys yesterday. (the yellow labs didn't look big enough) I got them hope and floated them for 10-15 minutes and then put them in a 5 gal bucket with 1.5-2 gal of aquarium water for 10-15 minutes, then put them in the aquarium with no bucket water. No food. There was a couple of weird things going on (* see below for odd behavior) Other than that, they seemed fine. The lights were left off until this morning. I did test the water and it only had a KH of 4° and a GH of 6°. Water temp was ~ 78-80°F. The lady at the fish store said that they were living in 11° KH and she doesn't test the GH. This morning 2 of the fish were dead and the 3rd one has a good bit of white spots (Ich by the looks of it). I can't do anything until this afternoon, so I need advice on what to do.

The store has a 7 day return policy on fish priced at this price so I'll be taking them back today. They also want a sample of the water which I'll be taking as well. That really sucks that I killed the first fish, but it wasn't really un-expected as I'm still learning. They do have some "mixed African Cichlids" for < $3 each and am tempted to see if I can trade my dead fish for a few of those so I don't keep killing the expensive fish.

**strange behavior noted... One fish for about 2 seconds was jerky, but after that seemed fine. Another fish was kind of hovering vertically face down for a little while before I went to bed.