Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ikariam (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Questions and hopefully quick answers (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4613)

smalltalk 24-04-2008 18:29

Questions and hopefully quick answers

Hi guys. I lost my mind and started this browser game. As if I had nothing better to do. [headstab]

Anyway. Here's the game.

You start with one city on an island. Each island has one out of four resources:

marble - for building
wine - for happines
crystal - for building science
sulphur - for building troops

Each island also has a saw mill producing wood, which is needed for building and for donating. Your production volume depends on how much the players on an island have donated to the mills, quarries, vinyards ...

Up to 16 players can be on one island. You can trade stuff with people on surrounding islands. Cities are producing gold, depending on how much workers and scientists you employ, military costs upkeep.

Cities can not be wiped out. Worst case is you get raided or occupied, loosing gold and goods.

www.ikariam.org

I'm playing on the lambda world.

Looks like I found a couple of decent allies there. I will point them to this thread, island mail is just to tideous for making plans - so there might be new faces to this board. :)

Matrix 24-04-2008 20:20

Ha, I just happened to have started this game today! :D

I'm on the Beta world. How do you end up on the lambda world? I could only choose between alpha and beta...

CrossVain 24-04-2008 20:39

Hey small thanks for setting this up ^^
And matrix the reason you can not see lambda is cause you are probably going to www.ikariam.com but you need to go to .org to see all the servers

Matrix 24-04-2008 21:10

Almost. I'm playing on www.ikariam.nl. [tongue]

CrossVain 24-04-2008 21:13

Well come on over to .org and join our clan ^^

smalltalk 24-04-2008 22:02

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Ha, I just happened to have started this game today! :D
Nice to see you again. :)

What kind of island did you land on?
Quote:

quote:Originally posted by CrossVain

Hey small thanks for setting this up ^^
My pleasure. Thanks goes to the guys running this board.
Quote:

quote:
Well come on over to .org and join our clan ^^
Indeed. One day isn't that much yet. Unless you have friends on .nl

Mistfit 24-04-2008 22:29

Hmmmm.. I have signed up and have my little town.. I started on an academy.. I am unsure what to do with my Woodshop thingy.. Lumbermill I suppose

Name: Mistfit
Town: Polis (how to change name? )
Island: Ludios?
Seemingly the only other human on the island is Elton in a town called Malta

Mistfit 24-04-2008 23:05

Well I figured out how to change the name of my town.. it is not Idioton.. I have build barracks/academy and harbor.. I hope I am doing the correct thing.

CrossVain 24-04-2008 23:16

Misfit what you need to do is press the "Show island button" then click on the pile of wood and put workers on it all 40 of em
get Academy up to level 3 soon make sure to upgrade town hall as well before you go to sleep get a town wall up too
and just keep upgrading

Ohh nvm dont put all workers on wood make sure you have full scientists too (Do so by clicking on the academy)

Mistfit 24-04-2008 23:20

I think I built a ship too :D

and maybe a slinger

CrossVain 24-04-2008 23:48

Hey misfit what is your island location? ..... it displays it right under where your resources are displayed
Should be something like [11:11]

Mistfit 24-04-2008 23:50

[19:51]

Mistfit 24-04-2008 23:51

btw.. I cannot reply to message atm because I am at work and used my home email to verify... so I have to wait to get home to do that and it will not allow me to send messages til I get that done

smalltalk 25-04-2008 00:01

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

I have build barracks/academy and harbor.. I hope I am doing the correct thing.
Depends on what kind of island you are on.

Krys liked to lecture people about "food is powa" in Civ3. I think that growth is power in Ikariam.

Dope your people up with booze. Build as much museums and sign as much cultural treaties as you can. The happiness boost is for free. Focus on the necessary tech. Beline for wine press.

If you are on a peaceful island, neglect building of a standing army. Only islanders can attack you without blocking your harbor first. Build a few ballista ships to fend off overeager guys looking for easy targets. Keep your warehouse at a decent level.

While attacking, troops and ships cost double upkeep. War ships are much slower than trade ships. If a raid costs more than it harvests, the raiders are pwnd.

Matrix 25-04-2008 00:23

Nickname: MatrixCL
Island: Rekoios (33:44)
Town: Strastad

Where are you, smalltalk?

Mistfit 25-04-2008 00:25

[60:52] is small talk town small precious

Mistfit 25-04-2008 00:29

Matrix.. you have some fairly large towns on your island.. and sulpher.. just what every budding civilization needs :P

Mistfit 25-04-2008 00:46

If there are going to be at least 4 of us lurking here maybe we could open a sub forum for the game similar to what HT has.. a Quick answer/trades/war threads might be useful eventually

smalltalk 25-04-2008 00:47

Starter kit sent to both of you.

ETA to Mistfit is like 15 hours. Cough.

My capital is at [63:47]

CrossVain 25-04-2008 01:03

Hmmmmmmm interesting ...... are you all interested in joining our clan..... we just may require you to move into our island chain though :(
if so we can go to our alliance forum to talk...

smalltalk 25-04-2008 01:36

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by CrossVain... are you all interested in joining our clan.....
Well, my idea about this game is that you need friends, not necessarily formal allies. Having a high score is nice, but it's not everything.

Quote:

quote:we just may require you to move into our island chain though :(
That's nonsense, quite frankly.

If that's your idea of an alliance - I'm out.

CrossVain 25-04-2008 01:58

High score is not everything I agree..... but that little alliance tag below your name scares people
which is quite useful in the beginning

And it is in no way nonsense to want our alliance to stick close together as a matter of fact it is ideal

Also let me rephrase I did not mean "Require" more so I recommend taking the time and the score decline to relocate in turns making it better in the long run for the whole alliance

If you feel you need to leave... so be it I dont hold grudges or anything... as long as you still donate to the mills :D

smalltalk 25-04-2008 10:38

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by CrossVain
Also let me rephrase I did not mean "Require" more so I recommend taking the time and the score decline to relocate in turns making it better in the long run for the whole alliance
OK, makes sense.

Quote:

quote:... as long as you still donate to the mills :D
For sure. Best donator again on the marble island. [:P]

Matrix 25-04-2008 12:18

Thanks for the 'starter kit', smalltalk. :D

For now I'd like to remain independent, at least until I really grasp the game mechanics. But you do got yourself a friend. ;)

smalltalk 25-04-2008 18:11

Quote:

For now I'd like to remain independent, at least until I really grasp the game mechanics. But you do got yourself a friend. ;)
Well, let me try to bribe you to hop over with the shipment of the necessary wood to build palace and colony.

I mean, I'll give you a bump whether you hop over or not. ;) But I think in your special case it might make sense to abandon your colony.

Because you came out on a sulphur island, which is the worst, I think. Cheapest resource in the game. You will have to buy anything you need for expanding. Unless you go all military and farm your neighbors to get your supplies. :D

In short: found a colony as soon as possible. Whether it's local or over at our coords.

CrossVain 25-04-2008 18:24

Quote:

Well pretty much the sole reason of me asking if you wanted to join the clan is just so we can go on the alliance chat board

which as long as you are not a spy.... (looks around the room suspiciously) we can do anyway lol

Matrix 25-04-2008 18:27

Ok, thanks for the advice. By the way, the resources you sent me - I think they're gone, since I don't have the 'wealth' technology. [rolleyes]

smalltalk 25-04-2008 19:42

Quote:

...the resources you sent me - I think they're gone, since I don't have the 'wealth' technology. [rolleyes]
Capitol starts with 50 of each resource. You just can't see those now. So I think it's ok. Do you see the wood?

BTW, here's the tech tree. It's ridiculously large, but still better than the online help, I think.

http://212.227.42.12/extern/pics/ikariam_techtree.gif

Matrix 25-04-2008 20:34

You're right. Now that I have 'wealth' I got your other resources too. :)

CrossVain 25-04-2008 23:49

I recommend that you stay in economy, until wine press, and then switch to science.
and then, once you get to paper in science, I recommend going into sea faring until expansion.

Oh, and be careful because I think, I remember reading a rule, something like, if you send a shipment to someone and they don't send a shipment back, you can get banned or temp ban, not positive though.

Mistfit 26-04-2008 15:03

ok.. so I am progressing along.. the other inhabitants of my island are so far unresponsive.. I have messaged them to ask that they donate to the Mill and Crystal mine.

I have gotten my academy up to level 3 - city walls - and I am currently researching wine press.
I think I have 4 slingers as well.

Now what?
How do I send out a shipment to someone?

I need some direction

Mistfit 26-04-2008 15:04

and how do I expand the amount of housing for my peoples.. the thing says that I am at 110/110 so does that mean I am not growing?

Mistfit 26-04-2008 15:11

also I see someone willing to buy wood at 2 gold per log.. he wants 200 logs.. should I do it just to have a trade partner? He is one island away

Mistfit 26-04-2008 15:31

oh.. and if you are suggesting me to abandon my colony should I be building stuff here?

Matrix 26-04-2008 17:05

When you chop for wood yourself: one log per hour costs four gold per hour, so one log costs four gold. I don't see any reason why you'd trade wood at all.

smalltalk 26-04-2008 18:28

Quote:

quote:How do I send out a shipment to someone?
You need a trading post to buy and sell stuff locally.

You should be able send stuff to cities close to you by going to the world view and click on an island. Island view comes up, you click on a town and are now able to choose "transport goods" or something. Sending at vaster distances needs the tech expansion.

Quote:

quote:and how do I expand the amount of housing for my peoples.. the thing says that I am at 110/110 so does that mean I am not growing?
Expand town hall.

Quote:

quote:oh.. and if you are suggesting me to abandon my colony should I be building stuff here?
You're on a crystal island. Not the best starting location, but I'd stay there. Unless you are bored with your non responding neighbors.

Quote:

quote:When you chop for wood yourself: one log per hour costs four gold per hour, so one log costs four gold. I don't see any reason why you'd trade wood at all.
Indeed.

I would deem these to be fair prices:

wood - 12 - 17, but I frequently buy at 20 or higher
sulphur 15 - 25
wine - 20 - 35
crystal 25 - 35
marble 30 - 40

Note that this is my personal idea of resource value. I just looked, and the local market is a bit different. Actually sulphur is more expensive than wine.

Mistfit 26-04-2008 18:43

I have no problem moving... there are some uninhabited islands to your north west that I could choose from. I have only sent a couple of days upgrading my town so it is not big loss I suppose. although I suppose moving 6 islands away from you would mean that we would not overlap as much on trading routes :D

You are the master so.. teach me :D

CrossVain 26-04-2008 18:51

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

I have no problem moving... there are some uninhabited islands to your north west that I could choose from. I have only sent a couple of days upgrading my town so it is not big loss I suppose. although I suppose moving 6 islands away from you would mean that we would not overlap as much on trading routes :D

You are the master so.. teach me :D
If we were all close, we could always offer faster military assistance, and trades.... so it seems worth it to me.
But its up to the master of the town ^^

Matrix 26-04-2008 19:47

I've got a novice question of my own: it says if I want to build a colony I need a palace. When can I build a palace?

Mistfit 26-04-2008 20:01

You need to have researched
Field of Research: Seafaring
Quote:

quote:Name: Expansion
Description: Out there is more than just an ocean! More Islands await being discovered. We are not alone! We can gain ground on one of the newly discovered island, tap new resources and get to know other peoples! And our clerks are eager to administer even more!

Allow: Building palaces, founding colonies
Current research time: 1D 3h 30m (440 Research Points)