Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Crusader Kings (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5396)

ProPain 15-11-2012 20:40

Crusader Kings

Gamersgate has Crusader Kings II on a 75% discount this weekend. Havent played it myself but it has gotten very good reviews.

It's paradox game so beware of steep learning curves :)

Shabbaman 15-11-2012 23:57

Hm,might look into it, but nit really enthused about yet another digital distributor.

ProPain 16-11-2012 01:33

I was hoping Steam would follow too.

Furiey 16-11-2012 01:49

I think steam had it at 75% off not long ago on a weekend deal. Thanksgiving sale must be soon though.

Shabbaman 16-11-2012 10:37

Steam has a major sale over christmas, chances are good that it'll be a daily deal (meaning: 75% off). But even if it's not, EU3 can keep me busy until EU4 is released.

Shabbaman 13-05-2013 15:01

I just found out that the guy who does the Ulm comics I wrote about earlier is now making a comic about the new Old Gods DLC for CK2. The new DLC seems great by the way, it's a real twist on vanilla CK2.

I'll be starting a game as a trade republic this weekend, let's see how that goes.

Shabbaman 29-05-2013 12:21

I don't know if the release trailer for the Old Gods DLC is better than the DLC itself, but it's probably close:

ProPain 29-05-2013 17:56

Saw that trailer yesterday, really funny. I love it when a company has the guts to take itself not too serious.

barbu1977 29-05-2013 19:27

The original is 9.99$ on steam today.

Shabbaman 06-08-2013 22:11

Old Gods DLC was on a 75% discount, so I bought it. As my Venice game was pretty boring I started a game as some Halfdan Ynling guy (which the CK2 buffs will recognize as the great-great-grandfather of the king of Norway in vanilla CK2, Harald Ynling, and who normal people might recall as the guy who fought William the bastard and lost) in 867, as the petty king of Ostlandet. By now I am king of Norway, I've occupied all of Sweden and the capital of Denmark out of spite, I've reformed the norse faith and I'm about to wage holy wars on all of Europe. Shortest AAR ever.

In other words: brilliant DLC for people who like free CB's.

Matrix 15-12-2015 14:03

1 Attachment(s)
I got my brother (Nitro, if anyone recalls) hooked on this game as well.

He started as Sweden on this game. Easy difficulty, not ironmode. But still impressive how far he got! :eek:

Shabbaman 15-12-2015 23:18

Impressive... but more so because I wonder how he can stand the boredom. Once you get to Empire-sized err... empires, my games tend to crawl to their death. By that time you can have a large income to fund a huge retinue, and the game just can't cope with large retinues.

Matrix 22-12-2015 13:14

I guess the thrill is just to get your empire as big as possible, to see how far you can reach before 1543AD.

I didn't get you about retinues.
Retinues are handy for quick conquest, because you can position them before you declare war. But no matter how big your income is, they suck up *huge* amounts of money to restrengthen! I played as Suomi/Finland/Scandinavia and changed from tribalism to merchant republic after reforming suomenusko, but still with an empire 1/3 the size as this one, I couldn't restrengthen my retinue at full speed after I used it, or I'd run into a deficit.

Shabbaman 25-12-2015 10:22

But there's not much to do with gold that's worth spending it on besides retinues. Retinues aren't cheap, but if you're at war continuously you'd end up with a bunch of very unhappy vassals (because of the raised levies penalty). So you tell me what's cheaper... and add to that that retinues is the only way to get a high number high quality troops (knights and heavies), which can save you a lot of casualties compared to regular levies.

If retinues are too costly, try lowering the reinforce speed. Or perhaps your retinue is too large, hard to tell from here ;)

Matrix 28-12-2015 18:37

I had a huge retinue. ;) And indeed, if they all needed to recharge, I could still do that at half speed.

Shabbaman 29-12-2015 10:19

Trying to compensate something with that retinue size? :D

Matrix 01-01-2016 22:24

Yes and no. Being a merchant republic, your own army is smaller than if you were a feudal rules. But no, because why would I not go to the maximum retinue? It's a one time investment that doesn't cost (or hardly costs) anything if you don't use it.

Or would I have been compensating something else?

Shabbaman 27-02-2016 15:11

I started a new game as Hvitserk of Jorvik. At some point I'm fighting the king of Wessex for control of London. Sometimes in CK2 you just need some time to browse family trees, so I discover my advisary and his wife have the great pox. How convenient. I decide to figure out if this pox has spread, so I check the court of his ally, the king of Mercia. Now, while my army was on the way to London it had sacked Tamsworth, seat of the king of Mercia. While I discover that the king of Mercia doesn't have the great pox but is merely stressed, I also discover that apparently I hold his wife, the queen of Mercia, captive in my prison. Quelle suprise! And to top that off, I'm also holding his three daughters.

A sane man would've ransomed them, but I'm a viking. Concubines, concubines everywhere!

Socrates 28-02-2016 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 140349)
Quelle suprise!

:D

Quote:

A sane man would've ransomed them, but I'm a viking. Concubines, concubines everywhere!
Wise (Shabba)man! [kiss]

Shabbaman 28-02-2016 23:11

Since you're so interested in the concubines part, a minor update from the court of Jorvik. While furthering my quest to snatch Middlesex from the west saxons, I noticed that they managed to marry their heir to a East Francian princess. Yes, a real Karling (fun fact: in the original CK2 start there's only a single Karling left). Guess what came out of that hole when I captured their castle: an eighteen year old Karling, plus the queen of Wessex.

This game really makes you wonder why people stopped being viking ;)

Shabbaman 14-08-2020 10:25

CK3 launches in two weeks. Looking forward to squashing the traditional postrelease bugs.

Socrates 16-08-2020 03:30

I'm currently watching some playing footage of EU4 online. Just to get to understand this kind of games a bit better. Do you think it's worth watching some CK2 next, or focus on CK3 coming up? Is CK3 going to be really different/better than CK2?

Matrix 17-08-2020 14:02

I really enjoyed CK2 tremendously. But once I subverted Northern Europe to the Finnish Empire and the Ukko religion, my mission was completed and I haven't really done any long game since then.

Will be interested to find out what is different in CK3 though. I'll check if I can find some interesting reviews on YouTube.

Shabbaman 20-08-2020 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates (Post 162378)
I'm currently watching some playing footage of EU4 online. Just to get to understand this kind of games a bit better. Do you think it's worth watching some CK2 next, or focus on CK3 coming up? Is CK3 going to be really different/better than CK2?

I couldn't tell you if CK3 will be really different or better than CK2, and when EU4 was released I didn't see how they could improve upon EU3. The engine is still the same, and that engine has limitations. I figured a new version would mean a lot of the content that was added over time would be gone (and added later, for more money) but that wasn't the case. Paradox just came up with more content. As for CK3, what I can make of it is that event trees are different. This means the game will play differently.

As for CK vs EU: while both games look very similar, I'd say they're also very different. CK is very heavy on the character, to the point that it's more of a RPG than a strategy game. EU practically ignores characters, to the point that your king is just a roll of a few dice. They share the event tree system, and warfare is also similar in both games. The difference there is that EU is more aimed at optimising your economy, and CK is more about managing your retinue. Expansion in CK can be based solely on marriage (and murder), for example.

I'd recommend EU4 as a strategy game, I don't think CK2 would make for a nice game to watch. If there'd be one game to play it has to be CK2: it's such an unique game on so many levels that it's incomprehensible why it's even fun to begin with, until you have played it. But if you like big stacks, just play (or watch?) EU4. Playing CK2 spoiled EU4 for me, now I can only play strategy games that let me marry my horse.

Shabbaman 20-08-2020 19:05

Perhaps this is worth watching: https://youtu.be/O-53UbzPhiI