Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   ** Open thread forum ** (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What exactly is Pitboss mode and will it make playing Civ 5 multiplayer more stable? (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5517)

RyanCaleb 05-09-2017 08:22

What exactly is Pitboss mode and will it make playing Civ 5 multiplayer more stable?

Me and 4 other friends tried to play a game of Civ 5 yesterday, but it kept encountering problems(players unable to interact, lots of rehosting, latency issues). So after about an hour of trying to sort it out we gave up.

I found out about pitboss mode and am not entirely sure what it does that is any different to regular Civ 5 multiplayer. If it will make playing it easier and a more stable experience then we will definitely try that out.

RyanCaleb 05-09-2017 08:23

There are two definitions of "pitboss" in civ 5.

"Pitboss mode" from the game setup options basically allows players to disconnect and reconnect at will, AI will not take over their civilization while they're gone. The turn timer can be set to hours because it's designed for long, drawn-out games. The advantage of this is that if a player has a connection issue and disconnects, they can just reconnect and resume as normal. Everyone can still play while they're disconnected. Me and my friends use this commonly because it doesn't fuck them up if someone disconnects, but we've noticed no stability improvements nor gameplay changes.

The other definition would be a proper pitboss mode, wherein your dedicated server (if you have one) hosts the game on a separate machine and keeps the game running until whenever. Players connect and disconnect at will without AI interference and, like the other pitboss mode, it is designed for long, drawn-out games, the only difference being the player host doesn't have to keep the game running on their machine like a normal civ 5 multiplayer game, so it's designed for even longer games where maybe there's only a few turns done per day. It can also use an email system to notify players when a new turn has started, which kinda demonstrates how the games played on this mode are strung-out.

Shabbaman 06-09-2017 15:11

I removed a link. I'm not sure if this is the most elaborate attempt at spam ever seen since the creation of the PTW compensation plan, or just plain simple spam.

socralynnek 06-09-2017 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 140602)
I removed a link. I'm not sure if this is the most elaborate attempt at spam ever seen since the creation of the PTW compensation plan, or just plain simple spam.

Somehow I even missed that they added Pitboss to Civ5. Which is nice. But I don't have the time anyway to try it out.
I am happy if I find the time for some Civ sometimes...

Shabbaman 07-09-2017 21:02

Can't say the thought of civ5 makes me particularly happy.