Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5460)

Shabbaman 21-10-2013 11:37

What are you playing?

I'm surprised I see the occasional civ screenshot here, but somehow I have a feeling not all of you are dads on a tight leash who never play computer games anymore ;) So, what are you currently playing?

I'm still playing a bit of Team Fortress 2, but over the last few weeks I've played Cities in Motion 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. I'm not convinced by CiM2, but any Transport Tycoon clone is addictive. I picked up FO:NV in a Steam sale, including all DLC. I had already played the vanilla game on the PS3, but the ultimate edition on PC was cheaper than a single DLC on the PS3. So now I have to play through the main story again, which is... boring. The last time I've played EU4 is two weeks ago, I'm in the endgame of my Castille/Spain game. Which is... boring. I think I'll play Crusader Kings 2 again instead.

socralynnek 21-10-2013 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139424)
I'm surprised I see the occasional civ screenshot here, but somehow I have a feeling not all of you are dads on a tight leash who never play computer games anymore ;)

Well, I don't say never, but Steam says, that I haven't played compute rgames for 7 months (and only started again on Saturday...

Let's see whether I'll stick with Civ V, which I still haven't played much. It still feels good, but I haven't reached a point in my skills to see the strategic weakness of the game...

Matrix 21-10-2013 14:43

Still Civ 4. I'm currently doing a crazy 18 player hotseat game with 18 Maartens playing against each other. Only like three turns per day or so. One turn a day on average. Let's see how long I can keep up with that before I get bored of it. :D

For the rest, TrackMania every now and then. And...that's about it. I'm more into board games these days.

Matrix 21-10-2013 14:56

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and how could I forget! OpenTTD! I made a scenario of the Nordic countries. :D Took me a hellish long time to create it, but I'm proud of it.
[dance2]

barbu1977 21-10-2013 16:37

Since the Spring, I have passed many hours on the following games:
FTL
The Binding of Isaac
Ticket to Ride (Online)
Tochlight II (I will not return to that title)
Unity of Command
XCOM
Civ V (just a bit)

Right now, I'm trying to get started in Kerball Space Program.

Socrates 21-10-2013 20:40

No game playing, like in the past years.
But currently working on a secret project, more later. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 139428)
Still Civ 4. I'm currently doing a crazy 18 player hotseat game with 18 Maartens playing against each other. Only like three turns per day or so. One turn a day on average. Let's see how long I can keep up with that before I get bored of it. :D

Do you mean you are playing against yourself times 18, like in a completely crazy version of Zweig's Schachnovelle on computer?? :eek: Could be fun to have a game report.

Quote:

I'm more into board games these days.
I wish I could play board games more often. I have to get me a few ones, like Settlers of Catan, and find some interested people...

Shabbaman 21-10-2013 20:55

Try Ticket to Ride.

Socrates 21-10-2013 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139433)
Try Ticket to Ride.

Les Aventuriers du Rail in French, played that a few times. Last time I drew 3 missions from West Coast to East Coast, I kept them all for the challenge... and ended the game with zero point (3 players).

But Catan is superior in my opinion.

barbu1977 22-10-2013 15:11

Catan an many others are available at http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/

Most of the site is in german, many good games can be payed.

akots 22-10-2013 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139424)
... I picked up FO:NV in a Steam sale, including all DLC. I had already played the vanilla game on the PS3, but the ultimate edition on PC was cheaper than a single DLC on the PS3. So now I have to play through the main story again, which is... boring. ...

Same thing here. I maxed the manifest in Mass Effect 3 and don't have the incentive to play it any more. But FO:NV was 10 bucks with everything on sale. So, I picked it up and really enjoy a few moments. The game is more of the inventory management and find this or that out there while combat is trivial but still enjoyable. But the story is extremely convoluted with a lot of side quests and DLCs, so I have not yet started on the final part of the main quest while already at level 43.

I am still at a point where I can go either way: NCR, Legion, House, or Yes-Man. I think I'll eventually make some save after I finish two remaining DLCs and will go for three endings just to see how it works.

Not sure if I'll eventually want to try hardcore mode, it is just annoying and not that difficult. The normal hard difficulty game gets a lot less tedious after some point. For me it was around level 35 when you don't need to pick up the endless loot and I have enough caps to buy or craft anything I ever need.

Matrix 23-10-2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates (Post 139432)
Do you mean you are playing against yourself times 18, like in a completely crazy version of Zweig's Schachnovelle on computer?? :eek: Could be fun to have a game report.

Don't know if it would make a fun game report. I think it's very lame for you. You can't do diplomacy of course, so all players are playing very dumb and naïve, on Maarten's automatic pilot. So also all of them with the same stragegy. Most interesting for me is who will win, why, and how much difference in points there will be between the different players.

The difference seems to be steady where the top player has around 1.5 times as many point as the last one. (Except the one dead player of course. He was scouting with his only warrior and the neighbouring civ, who did the same, saw an empty capital from a hill. :p)

Beam 23-10-2013 18:18

I started playing EU4 couple of weeks ago but have not spend a lot of time on it yet. Besides that I've been playing Runescape for the past 3 years or so, the many quests are mostly enjoyable stories by themselves.

Socrates 23-10-2013 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 139440)
Don't know if it would make a fun game report. I think it's very lame for you. You can't do diplomacy of course, so all players are playing very dumb and naïve, on Maarten's automatic pilot. So also all of them with the same stragegy. Most interesting for me is who will win, why, and how much difference in points there will be between the different players.

It could have been more fun to have every civ playing according to a certain style. Basically mimicking historical civs and making the best of their respective advantages.
Better: You could have scripted the whole playing style for all civs, and let them play against each other!
Oh wait, why aren't you building an AI? :D

ProPain 24-10-2013 00:53

Been playing Dungeons of Dredmor a lot after summer until I defeated Dredmor himself, albeit on easy mode. Also played a lot of EU IV, will return to that once I have more time on my hands.

Lately: Starcraft and Hearthstone when I'm not working, which is what is consuming most of my time these days.

I keep returning to SC2, I play a lot of 2v2 with grs. I still suck at it like crazy even after spending so many hours playing it but still enjoy the game.

Got a Hearthstone key from grs two weeks ago or so. Very good casual magic the gathering clone. I have a feeling that I'll spend a lot of time on this game in the future. It's TBS but a game takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes which makes it easy to play a quick game. The draft mode is brilliant, entrance fees can be paid both in real and in game money but you're garantueed to get a booster as a prize no matter how you peform. If you play a few (4 on average I guess) games each day ,you can buy a booster every other day or enter draft every 3rd day approximately. A very reasonable setup, let's hope they keep it this way after beta.

Matrix 24-10-2013 03:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates (Post 139443)
It could have been more fun to have every civ playing according to a certain style. Basically mimicking historical civs and making the best of their respective advantages.
Better: You could have scripted the whole playing style for all civs, and let them play against each other!
Oh wait, why aren't you building an AI? :D

Your last question answers the other two. ;) Then you might as well be a spectator of AI's playing against each other. This is to see how my most naive style of play will work out against itself.

I don't think it's a good way of improving one's tactics, though. You learn most from other players in a multiplayer game.

Unlike TrackMania, where I also often play against myself. That definitely improves my skills! (Basically I'm unbeatable now among friends, which is actually kind of spoiling the fun.)

Lt. Killer M 24-10-2013 14:49

Shabba, I sometimes play some OpenTT; with a series of add-ons and extras that's the best TT clone there is ;)

I've made a few maps with challanges for a friend; I can share if you're interested.

Shabbaman 25-10-2013 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M (Post 139447)
with a series of add-ons and extras that's the best TT clone there is

I know... I can't stand the graphics though :o

Furiey 29-10-2013 22:17

Been playing various bits and pieces in the odd moments when I get some time. I did play all the way through Antichamber which I enjoy and have now made the mistake of downloading Plants v Zombies 2 onto my tablet...

Matrix 30-10-2013 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139448)
I know... I can't stand the graphics though :o

I don't know if Killer meant OpenTT or OpenTTD, but for the latter you can actually still use the original graphics if you have the DOS files somewhere. You get this option when you install OpenTTD.

Lt. Killer M 31-10-2013 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 139456)
I don't know if Killer meant OpenTT or OpenTTD, but for the latter you can actually still use the original graphics if you have the DOS files somewhere. You get this option when you install OpenTTD.

OpenTTD

Shabbaman 31-10-2013 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 139456)

Actually, I was under the impression that these were the original graphics...

Matrix 31-10-2013 20:03

1 Attachment(s)
These are the original graphics. I like 'em. :) Very toy-like.

Mistfit 01-11-2013 02:54

Who knew Stockholm was so... angular :D

Shabbaman 20-11-2013 14:30

I've started playing Crusader Kings 2 again. It's exactly the comedy value of this game what I was missing in EU4. I'm close to creating the empire of Scandinavia, let's see if I can make islamic Iberia the anvil on which christian Europe is smashed by the nordic hammer (I predict complete and utter failure on my part).

Oh, and check this story: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...e-best-DLC-yet

http://i.imgur.com/BqH3FR0.jpg

Shabbaman 14-01-2014 12:47

Well, it didn't take more than a few weeks to set aside CK2 for a while. The latest big DLC introduced something called "event troops", which basically means that under certain conditions you (or the AI) receives a shitload of troops. In my current game, where I became emperor of Scandinavia as the first Ynling ever to make something of his life, I got embroiled in a war in England. England mostly norse, but the new Irish king doesn't like norse. Apparently that was good enough for him to receive a stack of 8k, which wouldn't have been much of a problem if Paradox hadn't decided to nerf liege levies in the same patch. Bottom line: levies are dead, event troops are the new hotness. Basically this means that continuing this save is a bit pointless. It's not the first time Paradox pulls something like this off, so I should probably play faster. Or start new games more often.

Similarly I'm dreading to continue my EU4 save, although I was looking forward to the new Conquest of Paradise DLC. It's the first major DLC for EU4, and it looks awesome. But I don't feel like paying 15 bucks for a game I've played so little so far, considering that I don't have much time playing a lot in the near future anyway. I'll wait for the inevitable spring sale. Mental note: must play EU4 more.

I've been playing Company of Heroes 2 quite a lot recently. It's better than it was in beta, but there's not much that distinguishes it from CoH1. Russians are nice though.

Oh, and TF2. Did I mention TF2?

Rik Meleet 20-01-2014 19:54

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...onkey_City.jpg

Lt. Killer M 23-01-2014 23:24

I've become a total sucker for Angry Birds Friends, and I also play a lot of CIV IV BtS using the Buffy mod while my computer slaves away in the background.

Shabbaman 23-01-2014 23:25

I guess Facebook games are basically the end of a productive life.

Shabbaman 25-06-2014 14:56

I was having fun with the new DLC for EU4, until some update broke the trade screen for me (leading to random crashes). So I bought Skyrim in the steam sale.

ProPain 25-06-2014 20:13

Got Hotline miami in a humble bundle a while ago. Really like it. The extreme violence is also very good when you need to vent a bit.

Bought Unepic. It's ok, but nothing special. There are better roguelikes out there.

Bought Battle Block theatre in a flash sale. Really like it, nice story. Considering it's a platform game that I like it's probably really good cause I'm not that into platformers(understatement)

akots 25-06-2014 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139811)
... So I bought Skyrim in the steam sale.

Just don't over-mod it as many mods might conflict heavily with each other. I don't have all DLCs but played vanilla through and then with some reasonable mods one more time up to level 25 or 30 IIRC. It is a very good game but a bit on the easy side, not really challenging. Thieving, stealth and crafting are clearly overpowered. You can have a lot of gold within first 3 hours of the game just by stealing everything from everyone in the starting area which is enough to buy a decent gear that will last probably until level 40 or 50. Destructive magic was a disappointment however as well as rock climbing glitches. But some quests are really funny and the main quest is way better than Oblivion or Morrowind.

grahamiam 28-06-2014 07:12

I've been playing civ5 again a bit. But I really want to got back to xcom enemy within just to finish it. Will very soon start banner saga.

Shabbaman 28-06-2014 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by akots (Post 139813)
Just don't over-mod it as many mods might conflict heavily with each other. I don't have all DLCs but played vanilla through and then with some reasonable mods one more time up to level 25 or 30 IIRC. It is a very good game but a bit on the easy side, not really challenging. Thieving, stealth and crafting are clearly overpowered d. You can have a lot of gold within first 3 hours of the game just by stealing everything from everyone in the starting area which is enough to buy a decent gear that will last probably until level 40 or 50. Destructive magic was a disappointment however as well as rock climbing glitches. But some quests are really funny and the main quest is way better than Oblivion or Morrowind.

I'm already sick of all the walking and opening boxes. Better level design than "endless dungeon" exist, but not in this game. I'm not opposed do dungeons, but I want to sneak them and that takes time. And without VATS sneaking just isn't as much fun. I don't feel the perks have enough impact on gameplay either. I'd rather play Fallout again. Anyway, I bought Dishonored, let's see if I like that better.

Oh, and updating gfx drivers fixed my EU4.

akots 28-06-2014 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 139815)
I'm already sick of all the walking and opening boxes. Better level design than "endless dungeon" exist, but not in this game. I'm not opposed do dungeons, but I want to sneak them and that takes time. And without VATS sneaking just isn't as much fun.

Well, dungeons can be tricky to navigate. IMO, in the beginning, it is really hard especially with some Skyrim Unleashed mod. Even in vanilla game, sometimes it gets ugly. Sneaking at low levels is also hard. Also dwarven ruins can be really large and complex to navigate. I do enjoy the outdoors more.

Shabbaman 10-09-2014 10:31

The last few weeks I've been playing Payday 2. I played it some time ago and dismissed it, because it seemed there was nothing about this game but standing in a doorway shooting ridiculous amounts of cops. There's more to it though. If you like coop FPS, this is a good way to wait for L4D3.

Whomp 04-11-2014 02:23

Hi y'all! So life and some such. Gained a wife, a 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl. It has cut into gaming time but the girl lost interest in clash of clans so I've taken over her account. Lol. Pretty mindless...hope you guys are doing well!

socralynnek 04-11-2014 12:02

Hi Whomp,

seems like all of us are busy with kids or new jobs,so a lot less going on here...

( I guess in the last 12 months, I've been playing hattrick, chess and some tower defense game on the mobile phone and probably once Civ 5 )

Matrix 05-11-2014 13:45

Welcome back, Whomp. :) My story of the last couple of years is pretty much the opposite. Divorced my wife and now I'm fucking every girl in Finland. Also trying to learn the language and have a full-time job as programmer. As a result I too don't spend that much time playing games anymore these days.

Nonetheless, these fancy screenshots that Shabbaman posted here every now and then convinced me to download Crusader Kings II. It looks beautiful and very interesting, but damn, it's so complex! :( But I would really like to see a united empire of Scandinavia under my rule. I guess I'll have to spend some time going through all the tutorials. :)

Shabbaman 05-11-2014 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whomp (Post 139977)
Hi y'all! So life and some such. Gained a wife, a 13 year old boy and 11 year old girl. It has cut into gaming time but the girl lost interest in clash of clans so I've taken over her account. Lol. Pretty mindless...hope you guys are doing well!

Heh, so basically you're playing dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 139980)
Nonetheless, these fancy screenshots that Shabbaman posted here every now and then convinced me to download Crusader Kings II. It looks beautiful and very interesting, but damn, it's so complex! :( But I would really like to see a united empire of Scandinavia under my rule. I guess I'll have to spend some time going through all the tutorials. :)

Get Old Gods DLC (mainly because of the awesome release trailer, but also because it makes the old norse playable), then pick any petty king and start raiding Europe. There's not much need to do anything else, but raiding is awesome and gets you a lot of money. And then raid some more. Don't forget to make all the women you abduct your concubines. Tutorials take too much time, it cuts into your raiding time.

Matrix 06-11-2014 12:53

Alright, I'll get the expansion then. It's very unMatrix to just play a game without understanding the game through and through. So I'll skip that advice and follow the tutorials anyway. :p Then I'll do some raiding. Although I think my ultimate goal is still to expand from Suomi, which starts as a vassal. Nice challenge.