Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   Shabbaman's Forum (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Shabby stuff goes here! (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4333)

Shabbaman 04-04-2008 15:34

The last part, obviously.

digger760 07-04-2008 13:56

I have an ssh client that also comes as a ftp gui for easy file tranfser. Give me a the server name username and password and i see if i can fill up the server for you [evil]

Shabbaman 07-04-2008 14:04

We already have BCLG filling the server with spam ;)

BCLG100 07-04-2008 14:12

doffs hat.

Matrix 07-04-2008 16:24

I'd like to help! I'm also an übernerd!
http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/nerd.gif
I've got some knowledge about forums since I'm running one on my site as well. :)

Shabbaman 02-03-2009 16:31

This weekend I got so fed up with Team Fortress 2 that I almost started a new game of civ4. I didn't though. I did get tempted to continue a col2 game, but then I remembered the absolute nightmare that game is... so I just played some games of Company of Heroes. Civ is still a lot more satisfying, but it just takes so much time to play a decent map.

Anyway, I did play the civ board game (new version, not that really old one with the text "basic game takes 12 hours to complete" on the box) for the first time this weekend. We played the basic version and despite the problems we had with the rules book everyone thought it was fun. Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was. Everyone wants to play the game again, so that's a good thing. We're going to play the extended version next time, which should make the game a lot more interesting.

barbu1977 02-03-2009 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 121858)
Anyway, I did play the civ board game (new version, not that really old one with the text "basic game takes 12 hours to complete" on the box) for the first time this weekend. We played the basic version and despite the problems we had with the rules book everyone thought it was fun. Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was. Everyone wants to play the game again, so that's a good thing. We're going to play the extended version next time, which should make the game a lot more interesting.

How complex and how long is the game?

My recent board games favorites have been Pandemic and Agricola.

Socrates 02-03-2009 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 121858)
Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was.

Isn't that to rule the world ??? :confused:

Shabbaman 03-03-2009 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbu1977 (Post 121859)
How complex and how long is the game?

My recent board games favorites have been Pandemic and Agricola.

I doubt you can finish a game in 4 hours. If you get lucky with the dice and your opponents are stupid then you can do a swords rush. The game isn't designed to withstand that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates (Post 121862)
Isn't that to rule the world ??? :confused:

It's pretty obvious if you ever played a game of civ. You know what girls are like, they think the goal is to collect all the cards with pretty pictures or something.

barbu1977 03-03-2009 14:50

I remember my girlfriend trying to play RomeII on the PC. See really liked the game until barbarians came in. She shut the thing down and never opened it up again.

Shabbaman 03-03-2009 16:12

My sister used to play Age of Empires in sandbox mode, without opponent.

Socrates 03-03-2009 21:14

It seems that some people (read : girls) take video games a little too seriously... ;)

A nice way to explain the goal of the game :
"You collect as much resource as you can, then you build military men (yes, I said you build them), and then you smash your ex-friends to pieces... but with cards."
Nah, I think the card thing may confuse some. :D

Shabbaman 06-03-2009 18:09

I'm on holiday next week, so you'll have to spam without me.

Shabbaman 30-03-2009 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 109203)
The last days I've been ill, so I had the time to play Beyond the sword. My second game. A good start, fast expansion: I couldn't do much else because my capital was unproductive, yet surrounded with floodplains, corn and fish. Miracle gro. So I got 5 very good cities, blocking the Celts. Founded confucianism in a city that was 1 tile next to the celtic border (tbh, it's on prince or something, lame). So. Good.

Obviously no copper. 15 hills, no copper. The hills I've scouted? No copper (although the celts have axes, so there must be some in their territory). Beeline for iron working, already got horseback so I was churning out horsemen. Guess what? No iron. Not even close! I found iron 15 tiles away to the NW, grabbed by Carthage, and 15 tiles to the E... 2 tiles south from the southern celtic border. I miss colonies! When I settled there, the celts attacked in 5 turns.

Blegh.

I like a challenge, but when you have to work really hard to get either bronze, iron or horses, why bother? I've ranted about it before, but I'll just do it again. It was the same thing that turned me off in civ3, and I fixed that by playing GOTM maps. Perhaps I'll have to give the scenario's a try. What I don't like about scenario's is that you don't play "civ", but "col" or something. It lacks the epic feel of civilization. I want to beat tanks with spearmen, and then win with a spaceship. Or something like that. I fear I'm done with civ.

The last few days it's been giving me a headache anyway ;)

Hmm. Once again I'm pretty ill. It started with a soar throat for a week, which I soundly ignored. By saturday afternoon I completely collapsed, and apparently I have the flew. Or some other annoying biological infection. The symptoms are: fever, snot, headaches, snot, coughing, snot, sneezing, snot. The downside of a 4 story house is showing now, by the time I'm halfway up I'm completely exhausted. Thought processes have slowed down to a crawl, writing english is, well, challenging.

Between the snot and the coughing the main problem is that I'm utterly bored. So, by tradition, I started to play civ again. This time it's col2. An hour into the game I noticed that once again all my opponents seem to be building all their colonies around me, while most of the map is empty. I haven't completed many games in col2, but I've started a lot of games. It appears to be (at least, it appears to me) that the AI is doing some stupid Infinite Colony Sprawl, while I'm still setting up my initial colony (well, two of them). I have little workers, next to no income (shipping unprocessed cotton and tobacco, as Stapel has shown in Row The Boat) and no military. The English to the north have four, maybe even five colonies (while I have 5 colonists in total...), the Spanish to the south have 3 colonies and a lot of scouts, and they keep hoarding in treasures that seem to come from nowhere.

This game is dumb.

Shabbaman 14-05-2009 14:45

Somewhere along the line I missed the opportunity to pass this along, but today a year ago my gf and I got a registered partnership. Which is (apparently) exactly the same as a marriage, with exactly the same ceremony. I'm not a ceremony guy, and the only reason (for me, that is) to our relationship "officially acknowledged" was a legal one. Here in the netherlands there are three options to arrange this, with the third option a legal contract. Marriage and registered partnership are legally the same, with the only difference being that you'd have to register your kid before birth (probably some christian reasoning behind this). We were quite surprised that this registered partnership required witnesses and whatnot as well, but in the end it was a nice day together with our parents, brothers and sisters and their "mates".

The weather was a lot better a year ago btw.

ProPain 14-05-2009 14:59

Well, happy registered partnership anniversary.

When are the kids coming? :)

Shabbaman 14-05-2009 15:00

They're not here yet, but we have a cat to practice our parenting skills on.

ProPain 14-05-2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 123099)

Just remember. Grabbing your kid in the neck to move it through your house isnt considered normal behaviour.l

BCLG100 14-05-2009 18:05

congrats on the 'registered partnership'.

akots 15-05-2009 00:01

Was going to ask for pictures but remembered ther were some posted earlier at some CDZ meeting? Or am I wrong?

[beer1]

Aggie 15-05-2009 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProPain (Post 123106)
Just remember. Grabbing your kid in the neck to move it through your house isnt considered normal behaviour.l

It isn't????

Shabbaman 15-05-2009 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by akots (Post 123122)
Was going to ask for pictures but remembered ther were some posted earlier at some CDZ meeting? Or am I wrong?

[beer1]

Those weren't my pictures, but hey, about everybody else did get married ;) I'll see if I can find a proper image.

[morepics]

Shabbaman 14-08-2009 19:15

Greetings from Liguria, Italy.

barbu1977 14-08-2009 19:35

This is where all the spam went!

Shabbaman 15-08-2009 19:36

Not all of it though, I'm still wondering where the rest of it is. I blame it on the lack of a poll monkey.

Shabbaman 27-08-2009 21:24

One of my teammates made a video of me on youtube. Legen... wait for it... dary! A pity the weapon isn't properly rendered.

ProPain 08-09-2009 04:49

and what FPS is that?

Shabbaman 08-09-2009 09:52

Team Fortress 2.

Shabbaman 21-10-2009 13:59

1 Attachment(s)
Shabba at work:

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/att...1&d=1256126322

I was doing sound measurements on a ship in the harbor of Rotterdam. This is on top of a 35 meter chimney.

Shabbaman 09-06-2010 13:37

More work: we are working on the bathroom. Drilling in armored concrete sucks.

ProPain 09-06-2010 18:44

I know, I still have some blinds that I've tried to put up a few months ago but I;m hitting impenetrable spots in the ceiling every time.

Shabbaman 10-06-2010 11:11

The problem is that the drain pipe in the concrete isn't deep enough to allow for a 90 degrees bend, and that the hole (where the shower drain used to be) can't be made larger because of the iron in the concrete. Rage-inducing to say the least.

ProPain 10-06-2010 20:52

can't you make your floor a bit higher or is that already tiled?

Shabbaman 10-06-2010 21:23

We could do that, but I rather wouldn't. We got another coupling now, this might do the job. And we're getting a plumber.

Shabbaman 10-09-2010 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabbaman (Post 123099)

Since last month we have another cat to test our parenting skills. The other cat is getting crazy of all the attention she receives... from the kitten. I'm also very sure our other cat never was this hyperactive, it's tiresome.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...e2K6BIuP41o%3D

This is one of the sparse moments that she isn't running around like crazy.

ProPain 10-09-2010 16:12

that pic link isnt working for me and I'm very curious after your description

Shabbaman 10-09-2010 17:05

1 Attachment(s)
I guess the stupid twitpic won't let me do remote linking. Stupid bandwith hoggers. Anyway, I've uploaded the picture of the hairy pussy at CDZ.

ProPain 10-09-2010 17:10

Mmmm, seems the profanity filter isn't working :)

But cute kitten indeed.

socralynnek 10-09-2010 17:24

Very cute! And I think we should increase the cat content here at CDZ. At least that's what the C stands for, isn't it?

BCLG100 10-09-2010 18:11

I'd hazard a guess that the users here play with Cats more than they play civ.