PDA

View Full Version : Einstein quotes

anarres
30-10-2003, 17:23
Regardless of whether you perceive his greatness or not, most of these quotes ring very true for me...

I can't actually vouch for the authenticity of all of these quotes, but I recogise many as being attributable to Einstein.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it."

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."

"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

"In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep."

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves."

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

"No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

"One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year."

"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought."

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

"I hate everyone and everything that will ever spawn from Canada."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Grille
30-10-2003, 19:28
Wow. What an exhaustive compilation, anarres.
Of those I already knew, I like this one:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

This one is probably well known to any SMAC player:
"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice." with the SMAC counterpart "...not only that he DOES play dice, he even cheats."

quote:
by anarres:
...most of these quotes ring very true for me...
"I hate everyone and everything that will ever spawn from Canada."

Never heard that before. Care to elaborate on that? :D

anarres
30-10-2003, 21:50
[lol] I did say "most" of them, that being one of the ones I don't identify with.

smalltalk
30-10-2003, 22:37
Maybe I have one more:

"You don't need to know all the facts, you'll only need to know where to look it up."

Grille
02-11-2003, 00:26
quote:Originally posted by anarres

[lol] I did say "most" of them, that being one of the ones I don't identify with.

I was wondering about the context of this quote.
I didn't find the context.
[hmm]Imagine:
He was once doing a trip to a tiny Canadian village where he tasted the regional delicacy "Sole of a Lumberjack's Shoe with Sawdust Sauce, flambe". The Chef du Cuisine probably made it al dente, confused sugar and salt, the aside the table occuring violinist's play lured in some dogs which stole the meal in the middle of the pleasure of eating and then he got twice a flat while having only one spare tyre on his way home. That, and during night time, his stomach nerves decided to not like "Sole of a Lumberjack's Shoe with Sawdust Sauce, flambe" either. Rather knowing the exact number of tiles in his bathroom than having slept a single minute, Einstein got asked about Canada on the following day...
:D

smalltalk
28-02-2005, 20:40
(resurrection-alert!)

Einstein and the women

Einstein met his first wife, Mileva Maric at the Swiss Polytech University, where she was studying Math and Physics as the only women in her age-group.
http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/inhalt/lis/18196/18196_1.jpg

There are rumors, that she was involved in developing special relativity.
quote:
"How proud and happy I will be, when we both have successfully finished our work about relativistic motion. Looking at other people, I realize what I've found with you." (Einstein in a letter to Marec, 27. März 1901)

"My heart-gem! Until you are my beloved wife, we shall eagerly work together in science, so we won't turn into old philistines, won't we?" (28. Dezember 1901).

Mileva get's pregnant - without being married, which is quite problematic at that time. She goes back to her parents in Serbia and gives birth to her daughter, Lieserl. Einstein never saw his daughter, her fate remains mysterious up to now.

A few years later, Einstein is now a rather famous professor, and a bit of a womenizer. In 1912, he starts an affair with his cousine Elsa Löwenthal. His marriage is more or less ruined. In 1914, Einstein wants to move to Berlin, where Elsa lives.

He gives very clear conditions for continuing the marriage:

quote:
A) You provide that
1. my clothes and my linen are kept clean and orderly.
2. I get three meals in my room.
3. my Sleeping- and Working room is continuously kept in good order, and especially that the desk is at my disposal alone.

B) You renounce of any personal relationship with me, insofar they not absolutely necessary for social reasons.
Especially you recounce that
1. I sit at home with you
2. I go out or on vacation with you

C) You expicitly oblige to these points in our contacts:
1. You neither have to expect caressing from me nor will you reproach me.
2. You will immediately stop talking to me, when I request so
3. You will immediately leave my room without any dispute, when I request so

D) You oblige to not belittle me before the eyes of my children, neither through words nor through deeds.

A few months later, Mileva returns to Switzerland and gets a divorce. She dies 1948 in Zürich.

Einstein marries his cousin, she is tolerant about Einsteins affairs - which he has a lot of, yet he is not totally convinced about marriage and women, making statements like:

quote:Marriage is the unsuccessful try to make a coincidence last.

Compared to the wife, each of us is a king, because he stands at least partly on his own feet, without having to wait for something from the outside, to stick to it. While those however always wait for someone to come to use them at will.

anarres
01-03-2005, 11:51
Sounds like he had some serious social problems. I also heard that Meliva was involved in Special Relativity, I thought it was generally accepted these days that they worked on it together in some way.

betazed
04-03-2005, 20:04
two other's that I really like...

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."

"A smart man can solve a problem. A Wise men knows how to avoid it."

Melifluous
04-03-2005, 22:45
This is one of the things that bothers me in life, the Deification of so-called Genius'

Quite a few people look back on the ancient Greeks as being the founders of civilisation.

Their culture and so called 'Republic' was something that would make the Taliban look enlightened.

He was a great Physics mind.

But role model? I doubt it.

Melifluous

betazed
07-03-2005, 19:52
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Melifluous

Actually, it can be argued whether his was the greatest physics mind. No doubt he did a great work with GR and QM but so did other many contemporarry physicists. Also I cannot see how for example Feynmann's contribution to QFT is any less than Einteins in GR.

However, Einstein has all the other requirements for deification. The look, the talk and the walk. ;) He being a Jew who evaded the Holocaust surely did not hurt, nor did his mild political involvements.

and last but not the least, his equation e = mc^2 (by no means his most useful equation) is easy to explain to anybody. So everyone thinks he knows the physics of einstein. Now try explaining Feynmann diagrams to a lay person. No wonder Einstein gets all the lime light.

Lt. Killer M
07-03-2005, 21:32
betazed: yep - and the fact that there's this wonderfully crazy photo (his personal favorite, he had his portrait cut out of it, replicated, and sent it to all his friends!) with weird white hair and the tongue out.... [lol]

Melifluous
07-03-2005, 22:07
quote:Originally posted by betazed

However, Einstein has all the other requirements for deification. The look, the talk and the walk. ;) He being a Jew who evaded the Holocaust surely did not hurt, nor did his mild political involvements.

And if Steven Hawkins would have been just another geek in a suit would he be considered great?

The look, the talk and the, erm, walk?

I think it's an endearing British quality that we will almost always root for the underdog, struggle against adversity (did you know he has lived years longer than he was 'supposed to' [:o]) it meat to the British soul.

Englands imperial guilt plays out in many forms.

If Einstein were not a jew, if Hawkins were not a cripple would they still be considered as great.

This kinda leads onto another of my personal hates, media portayal, but it really deserves its own thread.

Melifluous

Pastorius
07-03-2005, 22:15
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

This is one of the things that bothers me in life, the Deification of so-called Genius'

Quite a few people look back on the ancient Greeks as being the founders of civilisation.

Their culture and so called 'Republic' was something that would make the Taliban look enlightened.

Melifluous

The greek democracy was relatively democratic for its time

Anyway, here is Paalikles with interesting trivia about the cold north:

In 1814, Norway's constitution made the Norwegians the most democratic nation in the world. With that constitution, 11% of the city-based population, and 10% of the rural population were eligible to vote. Compared with Great Britains 3-4% that was impressive.
Compared to France, it was light-years ahead.

Thanks for your attention :D

betazed
07-03-2005, 22:17
@MeliFluous: You are correct. If stephen hawking was not a cripple he would not have generated so much publicity. IMHO, he is great mathematician who has proved theorem after theorem on black holes but a ordinary physicist. he has provided no deep insight into any physics. You have a better physicist in England in Roger Penrose who has proven much more insightful theorems on black holes. Unfortunately for Penrose, (or fortunately for him), he is not tied to a wheelchair. So no limelight for him.

akots
07-03-2005, 22:59
Another quote:

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reasons for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

akots
07-03-2005, 23:07
quote:Originally posted by betazed
... Actually, it can be argued whether his was the greatest physics mind. No doubt he did a great work with GR and QM but so did other many contemporarry physicists. Also I cannot see how for example Feynmann's contribution to QFT is any less than Einteins in GR. ...

IMHO, the difference between contribution and contribution is huge. There are many people who contributed to many things a great deal more than others however the latter are sometimes more famous. In this particular case, not only the sceintist made a few great hypotheses and had proven them, but fully understood the meaning of the equations and even managed to explain it to the other scientists and even to ordinary people to a certain extent. This is of triple importance.

And what about the ability to forsee the combined heory of the matter and all types of interactions which comes to the scene now with these little tiny strings?

smalltalk
07-03-2005, 23:44
(once again: Einstein and the woman)

It seems, that Mileva had more grasp of mathematics than Einstein did. This was too much of woman's lib for poor Albert.

I guess, about a hundred years ago, man-woman relation was a bit more traditional than it is today. Like: "man earns the money, woman keeps the house and raises the children". Looking at the articles of Einstein's marital contract, I would presume that Mileva Maric just told him to: "Go, wash your dirty socks by yourself, I'm occupied."

Love can go weird ways. Like a runaway car, it cannot be controlled. Being a first-rate scientist does not mean you're exempt from feeling and acting like an every-day-person. Living a promiscous life and still having somebody to do the laundry (like his later wife did) didn't seem too bad from Einstein's point of view.

quote:betazed
it can be argued whether his was the greatest physics mind.
There have been many great minds in physics. Determining the Greatest One seems as impossible as determining the best record in rock music history.

Poeple like Galilei, Newton, Einstein did some groundbreaking work, shattering the physics of their time. I'm not aware of Feynman doing anything in that category, his work was rather like a genius teacher, finding new and better ways to express what was already known.

Lt. Killer M
07-03-2005, 23:53
smalltalk: I remember repeatedly reading quotes that show how highly Einstein regarded Mileva's skills at maths and physics! He regarded her (at the time of his great breakthroughs) as an equal partner!

smalltalk
08-03-2005, 00:08
Yeah, but then, what was the reason of their split?

Lt. Killer M
08-03-2005, 00:29
if you look at the circumstances (money extremely short, what happened to that baby?) they have had some tough times. Then, later, he bacme famous, IIRC they were sperated a while, too - I guess [i]life[/b] happened!

col
08-03-2005, 09:22
quote:Originally posted by smalltalk
[brPoeple like Galilei, Newton, Einstein did some groundbreaking work, shattering the physics of their time. I'm not aware of Feynman doing anything in that category, his work was rather like a genius teacher, finding new and better ways to express what was already known.

Einstein's big contribution was General Relativity. A towering achievement but he spent the rest of his life in Physics being wrong. His understanding of Physcs as a whole was poor. Worst of all he invented the stereotypical image of a physicist with wild hair and mit ze german accent that stil pervades the media. He set Physics education back decades.

Feynman understood Physics probably better than anyone else ever. His contributions to QED alone place him as one of the greats. His contributions elsewhere place him alone. It is estimated that at least 5 other people won Nobel prizes because of F's ideas - 'try this' - they later realised he had already thought it through and was giving them credit. As a doctorate student his prof played a game and gave him 5 unsolved problems to do by the end of the week, When asked how he was doing F replied he did the first 4 quickly but the last one took him a couple of days. Throw in Los Alamos and Challenger and you have a unique talent.

Feynman's lectures on Physics are the finest books ever written about Physics. Every physicist has a set.

betazed
08-03-2005, 17:18
I think Col said all I wanted to say. :)

Smalltalk said:
quote: <snip> I'm not aware of Feynman doing anything in that category, his work was rather like a genius teacher, finding new and better ways to express what was already known.

See, this is exactly what i am talking about. :) Everybody knows (or at least thinks that they know) about what Einstein did. Hence his popularity. But explaining what Feynmann did would require coming upto speed with cutting edge physics of circa 1960s. That is quite a bit of arcane physics.

To put it briefly Feynmann completely revolutionized the way we do Quantum Field Theory. As Schwinger said (correctly I would like ot think) "Feynmann brought QFT to the masses." He made possible doing QFT to the extent that it can be done blindly with no skill at all. Feynmann diagrams and its associated numerous calculational tools introduced makes it easy, almost algorithmic, to calculate all QFT process (specifically QED).

also, just coincidentally, Eintein's GR and Feynmann's QED are the most accurately tested theories among all theories (including non-physics theories). Both have been tested experimentally and verified within errors of 1 part in several billion.

smalltalk
08-03-2005, 22:23
As far as I understood it, Feynman's major work was about giving path-integral solutions over the schrödinger equation. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a conceptional breakthrough here, that introduced a new paradigm into physics.

BTW: is there any audio-material of Einstein or Feynman available on the net? Einstein played the Violin. Feynman was percussionist, and reportedly not a bad one.

col
08-03-2005, 22:46
Feynman unified quantum mechanics and field theory leading to a whole new ball game - quantum electrodynamics or quantum field theory. It was the breakthrough in quantum mechanics that led to a whole new understanding of the way forces work. Up until that point the Schrodinger equation was plagued by infinities when anyone tried to calculate how particles interacted. Feynman provided the machinery to solve these problems - as did Schwinger - but also devleoped a whole now paradigm of how we view exchange forces and calculate their effect within a simple framework.

http://www.feynman.com/

betazed
08-03-2005, 22:54
quote:Originally posted by smalltalk

As far as I understood it, Feynman's major work was about giving path-integral solutions over the schrödinger equation. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a conceptional breakthrough here, that introduced a new paradigm into physics.

You are not missing anything, per se. It is undoubtedly hard to understand his contribution unless you are a student of particle physics. You just have to trust col's word that without his contribution particle physics would not have been where it is today. :)

quote:
BTW: is there any audio-material of Einstein or Feynman available on the net? Einstein played the Violin. Feynman was percussionist, and reportedly not a bad one.

an excellent resource for all einstein stuff is here. Dunno whether it has audio stuff though.

http://www.alberteinstein.info.

Grille
09-03-2005, 00:31
about the quotes/popularity:
A lot (if not most) of "popular" Einstein quotes were not made by himself, in some cases possibly even not related to his general point of view at all.
E.g. the nice quote "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." is very likely not by Einstein, at least there's no known source (news interview etc) where it may have come from.

Author Alice Calaprice has written some compilations about proofed E-quotes, she has also made a category of 'could be' (fits to his POV etc, but no source) and 'supposed-to-be' E-statements (definately not made by him or vs his POV).
(btw: I read an excerpt of Alice's "Dear Prof. Einstein - A.E.'s letters to and from children" seems great!)

Since (AFAIK...) Einstein was already a kind of everybody's darling when he was alive,
now some faked (but yet amusing and smart) bon mots associated with the great mind would not hurt boosting his popularity, would it?
That could of course easily lead to an impression he just played in a league above the rest.
I am *not* questioning his contributions - but IMHO it's just that a comparison between scientists' works is always hard. Well, relative.:)