PDA

View Full Version : *** SPOILER *** Vs Sir Eric

digger760
22-10-2003, 08:57
This is not a ladder match, if it were i think i would have called the game for an un-balanced map. Sir Eric has alot more land easily accesible has 3 lux's to my 1 and has an AI punching bag. However since I gave Sir Eric a pounding in the first match at about 660AD. I thought we would keep this game going just for the challenge of it. I also have the advantage of experience..but with Sir Erics SG with Killer and Mel he will be learning lots of stuff.

The date is 380 AD. I am ahead in Construction and Currency (and Sir Eric has only just discovered Republic in the last turn or so). I built the great lighthouse..but still needed a suicide galley to find the other AI...if i could risk sending a few swords on a suicide galley to the other AI i might have a chance in this game. When i meet the other AI Only the Iroquis had any money..so i sold them monarchy for 300 gold and there world map...recently i traded something with them for republic as well.

I offered Rome and India everything i had for one of there crappy size 1 cities..but they have no interest in that deal, look slike i will have to force it from them.

As you can see from the pic below, some of my cities are starving, this is because i am in Anarchy. I'm not 100% sure i should let them starve..maybe its better to let them riot..but then again i might loose some buildings that way. Anyway only 1 more turn till Repubic (total of 6 turns of anarchy).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2003102283246_SE_370MAP.JPG
104.28KB

anarres
22-10-2003, 14:13
It's worth noting that the AI won't sell cities anymore, unless they are part of the peace deal (and even then you can't add anything to your side of the deal).

Sir Eric definitely has a nicer piece of land!

digger760
24-10-2003, 10:01
Dont know if i've been lucky in this game or there is a bug, but i have run about 4 suicide galleys so far and have not lost a single one. So i took a chance and managed to slip 2 vet swords over the ocean. But where to attack?
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2003102410030_GALLEY.JPG
36.81KB

digger760
24-10-2003, 10:03
By the way...how do people take screen shots with the stack displayed. As soon as i alt-tab to deskscan, the drop down menu disappears.

Lt. Killer M
24-10-2003, 10:20
digger, either use Paint Shop Pro or the 'Print Screen' button ;)

digger760
24-10-2003, 14:47
turns out there was no bug with the suicide galley. The very next attempt i lost one containg 1 reg sword and 1 reg spear :(

digger760
24-10-2003, 15:07
To my delight Persia had Engineering 6 turns before me. I can give them Lit and Monarchy. Sir Eirc does'nt have lit, so i check with him and agree to trade that with a lux ;). Then i do the Engineering trade.

FP is built in Tours.

A war with Rome is looming, i think i need to divert there attention though as i only have 2 swords. So next turn i hope to divert there attention to the Indians [evil]

opps, can't afford the embassy with India[crazyeye]

EDIT: I decide to take a big risk. Not being able to afford to build an embassy with India, i can't draw them into attacking Rome. Caesar ask me to leave, but i tell him were to go. I decide to attack Neopolis... 2 vet swords vs 2 vet spears and win both battles. Thankfully the barracks is not destroyed in Neopolis. A Couple of Legions are nearby. So i try to rush walls..but they cost 160gold. I disband both caputered workers, and the price drops to 64 gold. Damn i am 4 short. So i sell engineering to Hiawatha for 6 gold and worldmap (bargain for him), then rush the walls in Neopolis. I up the tax to 100%.

At the end of turn, two legions close in for an attack. If i can hold on for a few turns and bring india into the war then sue for peace. I will have a nice foothold on the AI continent and hopefully gain the advantage need to win this game.

digger760
31-10-2003, 14:46
lost Roman city :( but have managed to slip 2 more vet swords, a horsy and spear over the ocean....lost 2 more vet swords :( in the process.

This time i am aim for a city further north. The horse kills a vet spear in turn 1, swords land for attack next turn. Hopefully india will be devirting there forces and this time i will have enough cash and troops to hold on...and Rome may also sue for peace.

digger760
11-11-2003, 13:40
Captured roman city of Viroconium captured 6 workers in the process. Have managed to slip 3 MI's and another horseman over bringing the total army size to:

3 vet Mi
2 vet swords
2 vet hors
1 spearman

re-inforcements on the way 1 pike, 1 MI.

lost a few units in the ocean crossing

This was enough to re-take the roman city of Neopolis (without loss)

I decided to trade Sir Eric contact for Invnetion + gems. The AI have nothing to offer, my only concern is will he risk suicide galleys once he gets the world map. I think to win this game i need to control the second continent.

Sir Eric tells me he only able to get the territory map of india so he is oblivios to my Roman conquest ambitions at the moment. I may have enough forces to move on the city of Rome, once the initial Roman counter attack as been dealt a blow.

Meanwhile on the home continent i have formed a wall of units along the north of my large island to stop any sea borne invasion from Sir Eric, how ever it appears he is not raising an army because at the moment the F3 screen says i am stronger then him.

anarres
11-11-2003, 14:00
Wow. Running units over ocean in galleys is insanity, but it seems to be working! :D

digger760
11-11-2003, 14:37
The ocean gap is 4 squares, so i can't quite make it over to saftey. However i can move the units onto a galley in a sea area in the same turn (provided i have taken a 1 turn rest in the opposite sea zone so my units can move of the ocean galley) So i only risk loosing the galley (i think i've lost about 4 so far).

Earlier on i though there was something wrong cos i ran a few over and left them swordsmen and all sitting in the ocean, but then i lost 2 so now i am doing it "safer"

I suppose this is what they call ship chaining?? but as far as i know there are no specific rules in this game. [evil]

digger760
03-12-2003, 09:02
Pre 1000AD..have traded some techs with Sir Eric for Luxuries, although i think i've got the better of the deals I can't recall the exact trades but i offered 5gpt (or a tech worth that) for gems at one stage, when 1 lux tax would have cost me 11gpt. 20 or so turns later i offered a tech (theology i think) for another lux which let me change my lux-tax again an sav 27gpt.

I researched to Education, so SirErics, Great Library only netted him 1 maybe 2 techs at most.

1000AD - Sir Eric has brought everybody except the the Persians, who are virtually down to a OCC, against me. I have forged 3 cities from the Romans, but can't take an offensive war to them any more. So i make peace and they give me Chemistry in the deal.

I am 3 or 4 turns away from building Leonardo's workshop. 2 turns from Astronomy. I think i will research to Navigation, which will allow me to trade with the other continent. I am despeartely short of lux's and resources, at least i have iron and horses, but dont have saltpeter and only have furs as a lux.

I have built the atlantic wall to stop an invasion from Sir Eric..i am hoping that i can get frigates and knock him out in the sea first. But Navigation follows astronomy and Sir Eric..may attempt to land before then.

I am number 2 in most of the demographics, i guess Sir Eric is Number 1. Here is a few pics from 1000AD

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/200312385943_SE1000_HOME.JPG
102.99KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2003123904_SE1000_AWAY.JPG
103.78KB

digger760
04-12-2003, 13:22
1030AD - The Iroquios attack Viroconium with 4-5 Mounted warrios and 2 knights. 2 Pikes are damaged, but now elite, a medieval infantry is damged and another medieval infantry is killed [cry] Any units lost over there is a big loss 'cos it is so hard to re-inforce and i can only build spears and archers cos of supply problems. Hopefully the is the best they can put foward. and the pikes can hold off the rest.

digger760
04-12-2003, 13:34
1040AD- Iroquois attack Viroconium with swordsman and loose, they also drop a spearman next to Hispalis from a galley. MW pillages dyes [mad] another knight moves up for an attack.

another French knight and medieavl infantry make the sea voyage..and the galley survives :)

Leonardos due next turn :)
Navigation due in 8 turns - Supply problems solved then + frigates (I think)

digger760
09-12-2003, 10:44
1070AD Sir Eric is offering peace, i offer peace in return (hopefully he will damage his rep with the AI's as he has alliances with them)

Leonardos has been built, i have upgraded a few galleys to caravels at 10 gold each:)

I think i lost maybe 1 unit at Viroconium in the last few turns. The Iroquios have pillaged the dye, next to the city. This turn they attack my elite pikes with 3 knights(maybe i might pull a leader), they lost 1 and the other 2 retreated. They also moved up a MW to pillage to the west of Viroconium. I think i have the forces to pick them all off next turn.

I managed to safely ferry 2 roman slaves back to the homeland, to form part of the atlantic wall.

Navigation due in 8 (or was it 7?)

digger760
22-12-2003, 13:36
I am still holding out on the Roman peninsula with three cities against a feirce Iroquios Onslaught. On average the Iroquois are loosing 2-3 knights or "other units" per turn. However due some silly mistakes (the day after the work christmas party) made by myself 2 or 3 units were lost at viroconium (? a pike and a spear and i knight if i remember rightly).

I have Astronomy and Navigation while SirEric has niether, I shall keep these techs to myself, to deny SirEric any chance of sending units over the ocean to the AI continent.

In the year 1160AD Am elite French Medieval infantry attacks a passing stack of Iro Knights, and kicks there ass, the computer thinks for a few seconds and then for his efforts the French Medieval infantry is named as a Great Leader. The leader heads for Neopolis to build a new capital as it is the best location to put the palace and i just dont have enough units to take any other cities. But hang on, i can't change fromn a library to a palace..WTF[confused]..this could be a disaster..i was betting on getting a leader to rush a palace, and from there take control of the AI continent before SirEric could get a foothold.

After a brief look around i suspect I can't pre-build palace's or its beacuse there are 3 Roman citizens and 4 French in the city, i decide to change the library to a settler to skim of a few Roman citizens (hopefully), and check again next turn.

Plux
22-12-2003, 13:57
IIRC sometimes when you chop down forest in a building process (i.e. the shields produced so far contain some from forest chopping), you cannot switch to wonders or palace in that city. Maybe that is the case over here?

digger760
22-12-2003, 14:23
hmm, yes that could be it. I had a heap of slaves with nothing to do so i was planting and chopping forests near the end of the Roman-French war around the city of neopolis. So by changing to a settler (which will be built next turn) i should be able to rush the palace.

digger760
09-01-2004, 13:33
1160AD
- Complete Magellans Voyage
- Make peace with Iroquious they give 59 gold + 10gpt (they have banking but would'nt give it to me)
- Rush Palace in Neopolis with leader

pre palace rush (1160AD)
GNP - 314 million (3rd)
MFG - 102 megatons (3rd)

post palace rush(1180AD
GNP -337 million (3rd)
MFG - 116 megatons (3rd)

:) but still 3rd :(

Sir Eric is now at war with Iro's. I guess he damaged his rep by breaking the alliance he had with the iro's against me. The Iro's are in now position to harm Sir Eric at all, but they hate him now so that might help in the future.

1170AD
- Complete Palace in Neopolis

1180AD
- Twiddle with lux slider and change a few citizens to taxmen and entertainers. This drops my reseach of metalurgy from 9 turns down to 6. But my income also changes from 35gpt down to 7gpt.

Try to talk indians into peace with them giving me banking but they wont budge, they move a few elephants into range at the end of turn, perhaps their death with convince the Indians in the folly of there ways.

The plan from here is to build up an attack force in Neopolis, make peace with India and go for the Romans again. I will need to be quick enough about it. The Romans dont seem to have musketmen yet, but they have saltpeter and have it connected. I only have Knights and no saltpeter:(

digger760
13-01-2004, 11:40
1240AD
I discover Metalurgy->commence Military Tradition due in 10 turns

I rush 4 knights (2 on each continent). 2 Knights on ship to arrive at viroconium next turn. Will bring my Roman Attack force to 5 knights, 2 MI's, 2 (soon to be) cannons. This might beenough to capture Pisea and the elusive Saltpeter (the AI's hav'nt been bothered building habours so i cant trade for it)

Sir Eric has Astronomy, So do the Iroquois, I trade Metalaurgy with Iro's for Banking (as it looks like the Indians wont give it to me) Hiawatha also throws in 130 gold and his useless world map to boot.

digger760
09-02-2004, 13:17
1345AD

Decide to switch the game to C3C, mainly because some other PBEM's were slowing down because people seem leave PTW games as low priority now. I took a bit of a hit on the old demographics too:

PTW Demographics (1345AD):
GNP: 670 million (1)
MFG: 231 megatons (1)

C3C Demographics loaded at the same turn:
GNP: 623 million (2)
MFG: 177 megatons (2)

And i am in a Golden Age as well, i will be worse off again when its over:(

But there is hope i am number 1 in land area.

As far as the story goes, last you heard i was rushing a new Palace in Neopolis. Since then i have conquered most of Rome with a few pissant cities left. Sir Eric has just got a foothold on the AI continent but apparenly is facing a stack of 15 Iroquois knights. But most likely he landed in large numbers because he's had nothing to to but twiddle his thumbs all game, and the miltary advisor has always said we are weak compared to them.

So here is the state of the AI nation as of 1345AD:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/200429125242_1345_AD.JPG
118.71KB

1355AD take the two northern Roman cities, make peace with Rome and get an island city in the deal. They are left with Lugdunum in the above screen shot, which is in-penetrable for now.

Make a deal with Sir Eric for 20 turns peace (even though we were'nt at war) I trade Physics for silk. The plan now is to research to steam, build up the new core a bit, add a few muskateers to its defense from the old core. Then pump out lots of iron clads to try and rule the sea, so that SirEric cannot re-inforce the AI continent.

If i can keep the Number 1 land area title then i remain a chance in this game.

anarres
09-02-2004, 15:02
Wow! Did you really agree to go to C3C after rushing your Palace in Neapolis? [:o]

I guess as long as your number of cities remains relatively small you are OK, but any new cities near Neapolis won't be very productive, and any new cities closer to home than Neapolis will increase the city rank (and therefore corruption) in all your FP cities...

digger760
09-02-2004, 15:11
I have to many other things on my mind than to read about the intracacies of corruption. I suspected i would be worse of. Sir Eric allowed me the choice, i open the sav in both versions and then knew that i would be worse off. However this is not a ladder match and it maybe the only C3C PBEM i play so i decided to get some value from my C3C CD.

anarres
09-02-2004, 19:41
Well, because of the islands keeping your number of cities quite low your FP core shouldn't be too bad at all. In fact, the corruption in your FP core is independant of how far the SP island is from the Palace.

digger760
13-07-2004, 04:19
I think its about time i updated this spoiler thread.

Things have been going real slow because of work pressure and Sir Eric has been studying.

In the year 1475AD there remains 1 Indian city and 1 Roman City. French forces have forged northward on the AI continent to capture all bar 1 of the former Roman cities and the Indian cities of Madras and Delhi.

Sir Eric, whom had been stranded by ocean from the AI continent for so long had a heap of Siphi sitting around and i guess once he got navigation, made quick work of the Northern Indian cities, leaving Bangalore the remaining Indian city.

The French had managed to forge a Tech lead up till now, and held the Theory of Gravity, Steam Power and Nationalism over the Ottomans and Iroqious (forget about the other 2 AI altogether). During the Ottoman war with the Indians the French had been attempting to assist India by filling the West Ottoman ocean with pirate ships, to cut of the military supply of Siphia to India. However this plan was futile as there were more losses of frech privateers than turkish caravels. Towards 1475AD these ships had been replaced by Ironclads, to enforce a more formal blocakde should the diplomatic state between France and Turkey decay any further.

Between the years of 1465 and 1470 the French considered a plan to suprise the Ottomans in there new Indian holdings. At this time in history the Ottomans army ranked strong compared to the French, however the French have cannons and riflemen and a strong Navy, while the Turks strength is based on the attacking value of the Siphi. The the plan was to use the french rifleman to protect what little cavalry the french had and hope that Turkish over confidence would lead the Sipahi with a strike and retreat range of French cavalry.

France observed that Turkish holdings in India had only 1 port, supplying wines back to the main land and iron and gunpowder to the new turkish lands. France jumped at the opportunity to form a right of passage agreement with india so that french force could sneak though Indian territory from Delhi to attack the Ottoman port of Calcutta. Oberve in the following picture the French army of:

7 Cavalry
4 Riflemen and
2 cannon

sneaking through Indian land to take to Calcutta at the end of the turn.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/20047134438_1480AD.JPG
222.57*KB

The attack was a complete success and not one loss was recorded for the French. Turkish losses are vague, but at least 1 caravel was caught in port, and at least 1 musketman was killed.

in 1480 the Turks retaliated by moving 24 Sipahi up to held French-Delhi. Delhi was garrisoned by 4 rifleman, 1 pikeman (who could have been armed with rifles that very turn) a medievil infantry, and to my suprise a cavalry which i had seemed to have forgotten about up until documenting the story to date. Although the French cavalry in Calcutta was with striking range of the Sipahi. The Cavalry would have been left with 1 movement point to attack and would be attacking over a river. Even if an attack was succesful, the would be enough Sipahi left to wipe out the attack strength of the French army.

It was at this point in time that the frech relised that both parties had made a critical mistake. Both nations had forgotten about the Iroquios. France had had the opportunity to lure the Iro's against the ottomans with a tech, however it seemed that the chance for offering ToG was lost during the turn as the Iro's had just discovered it. However it seems that turkish abuse of previous agreements boded well for the French as it did not take much convincing to invite them in now (the exact price was not recorded at the time).

digger760
13-07-2004, 04:37
In 1485 AD the turks made a strange move and instead of attacking Delhi with there overwhelming forces, they capture 2 Roman slave who were building a railroad in the mountains south of Delhi. There were also only 23 Sipahi now and a couple seemed to be wounded so maybe the Iro's had harrased them from behind.

France moved the Cavalary back to Delhi to defend. This turned out to be a stupid move, as Turkey attacked next turn. Somehow Delhi survived. The Turks had 15 Sipahi remaining and France had 1 badly wounded Cavalry. The Sipahi had moved into Neutral mountains to the East to heal.

France decided to abandon delhi, to sav its last cavalry unit and to avoid letting the city fall to the Ottomans the city and the Pyramids were burnt to the ground.[devil]

I almost forgot to mention that the Iro's capture the turkish indo city of Bombay this turn as well [groucho]

digger760
13-07-2004, 04:53
The perios between 1490 and 1510 was a cease fire in operation between France and Turkey, allowing the Sipahi to heal and for France to draft a few riflemen and buildup its rail network in former Roman lands.

During this quite period The iro's captued the remain Turkish-Indian cities and Turkey captured the last Indian city of Bangalore.

In 1510AD The turks offered peace, however i had build a few riflemen and had about 3-4 cavalry by now and felt that i still had a chance to were down the sipahi...if i could only catch them. I declined the peace offer.

To my suprise the 15 Sipahi had moved toward Madras, i had not countered for this and had used most of my new riflemen to re-inforce Cumae (south of were the Sipahi had been healing). The sipahi were on the mountains and with striking range of Madras next turn. There was no way I could attack them. I would have to stack Madras with as many riflmen that could reach it and hope for the best. Records indicate that i mustered 6 riflemen and a muskateer for the job. Alas it was not enough and Madras fell next turn, the turks loosing only 2 Sipahi in the process.

In 1515AD I had 3 Cavalry in full health able to attack the injured Sipahi in Madras which if victorious could retreat back to the jungle to the south which was fortified with conscript French rifleman. All 3 cav were succesful in killing 3 Sipahi and retreated to the jungle for cover. With the Sipahi all injured in taking Madras the previous turn the Cavalry were pretty safe for now. I would have more cavalry ready next turn to attack again [devil2]

digger760
13-07-2004, 05:05
In 1520 AD SirEric had moved his Sipahi to the hills north East of Viroconium...another move i had not considered as i only have 1 conscript rifleman there. The Sipahi are weak and injured now, 3 at 2 bars and 5 at 1 bar health.

Madras was empty so i re-captured it just in a knick of time as massed of Iro Cavalry were just north of the city.

I beleive that i am lucky here as Sir Eric had a chancve to pillage my only coal supply in the hills west of Madras, yet fortunatly the road was still intact and i was able to resume rail-road operations.

I had 2 cavalry that were able to reach the Sipahi stack, 1 was victorious and was able retreat into Viroconium to defend it, the other Cavalry was also victorious, but had run out of movement points. So will most likely be killed next turn.

Hopefull the 3 injured Cav that attack Madras the previous turn will heal for next turn. Even if Sir Eric captues Viroconium, i think i can take it back. The biggest loss will be the infrastructure lost in the size 11 city if it is captured. One last remaing act is to draft another conscript before i end the turn.

digger760
13-07-2004, 05:10
Phew, well that took me about 90 mins to update, now i know why i dont write spoilers anymore!!!

One last thing i forgot to mention. France is now average strength to the Turks.

France is number 1 in land, but second in both MFG and GNP.

If possible i would like to finish of the Turk SOD, take Bangalore, thus removing totally the turks from the AI continent. Then i might sue for peace and try to use my land advantage to catch up on MFG and GNP.

digger760
09-08-2004, 13:47
Well my Cavalry on the grassland of Viroconium was killed. Sir Eric move his last Siphai around the developed lands of Viroconium and pillaged them. And i killed them all off next turn.

It is now 1600AD and The Iroquios have wiped the Ottoman presense off my continent. I signed a peace treaty with Sir Eric and talked him into sending Electricity accepted for industrialisation (which i dont have but the Iro's do).

I could'nt talk the Iro's into taking elec for industrialisation so i had to offer medicine as well (which Sir Eric does'nt have) but still a good trade.

I also got Sanitisationa few turns back and have pre-builds for hosipitals in my size 12 cities.

Corrution is killing me in this game as even though i have had number 1 in land for quite some time i am 3rd on MFG and 2nd on GNP. I decided to try for revolution for democracy..but draw a 6 turn anarchy..possible a bad move that..but we'll see how it goes.

digger760
21-10-2004, 13:45
it is now 1752AD

I beat SirEric to Theory of Evolution Wonder by 1 turn..i had done an inspection at about 12 turns to go and knew that i was ahead + i had a factory+hospital and iirc Istanbul was either lacking a factory or hospital i forget.

I picked Corporation and refining on the way to tanks ;)

I was thinking of going for a diplomatic victory cos i have the Iro's on my side, but it seems from some recent discussion here that Diplomatic victory in PBEM might involve the human players only.

I was also thinking of going communism as the remainder of this game i might be at war for the entire time and considering the mess i made of moving my palace i think i may less corruption.

Therefore I am now arming the eastern continent, in a bold move i have decided to mobilise and take on the Iro's. I have moved into 1st place with GNP and second place with MFG..but i have a few coal plants to complete in the mobilized stage then. Before mobilisation i had about 7 Inf and 5 Artillery coming online in 10 turns.

At the moment i am average strength with the iros.

anarres
21-10-2004, 20:42
Yep, don't go diplo or you also have your opponent on the bill. I'm definitely getting it disabled in my future games...

digger760
27-10-2004, 13:53
Ok i have switch to war-time production..but still at peace with everybody...my MFG jumped from 300 to 444 and i am still in second place :(

Still considering the Communist government switch as i am number 1 in land, GNP and population..so corruption must be killing my MFG?

If I am at peace does this mean i can switch back whenever i like?

Aggie
27-10-2004, 14:08
You mean switch back from mobilization to peace time? If so: no, you can't switch unless you make peace with someone. This means that you have to be at war first. Note that you will automatically get out of mobilization when making peace. So if you want to keep mobilization going, you have to switch again.

digger760
27-10-2004, 15:13
ahh mobilization..that was the word i ws looking for. Oh well i guess I'm on a collision course for conflict..it either that or run my self broke with support cost.[evil]

anarres
27-10-2004, 16:28
I think when the support costs are 50% of your income you need to attack somone. ;)

Black_Waltz
03-01-2005, 19:43
Facsinating match. Seems like you gambled right in looking to take the other continent. Seems that maybe the Ottomons only hope now would be to try and invade the Iriquos.

digger760
11-01-2005, 16:15
This game seems to have stalled. I hav'nt seen Sir Eric on MSN since December.

digger760
18-01-2005, 12:30
1772 Last Year of Democratic Government:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2005118122749_demf11.jpg
15.8KB

1786 - Came out of Anarchy, formed a communist government
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2005118122817_comf11.jpg
15.7KB

GNP = 693 (3rd) (1074 in Democracy in 1772)
MFG = 480 (2nd) (461 in Democracy in 1772)

Military Service is 4th 10*106(units?)/267(citizens)

61 Infantry and 18 Artillery

How is military service ranked..is it the higher the number the better the rank?

Here is the Empire:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/200511812294_comEast.jpg
105.87KB
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/2005118122929_comWest.jpg
125.99KB

grs
18-01-2005, 12:49
military service is: pop (in town size) / number of military units

digger760
18-01-2005, 13:09
i though it was 10 x (number of military units) / Number of citizens

Does artillery count as a military unit (no attack or defense value). I suspect is does as with the 18 artillery in the equation my military service is something like 3.2 years

But my main query is how is it ranked...Romans have one pissy little island town pop 2. They have at least 1 military unit..so there militay service is at least 5 years...so i guess the higher the military service the better the rank. I should be able to estimate Iroquios and Ottoman unit numbers based on this..and since i am 4th place it does'nt look to good for me.

grs
18-01-2005, 13:48
You are right about the 10x factor of course. IIRC artillery does not count, only units with attack and defense value. Since it does not factor in strength, I would not worry about the rank that much.

digger760
20-01-2005, 12:27
Well, I attacked the iroquious..i felt i could not wait much longer since i was slightly dissapointed with the communist government affects and being stuck in war-time production.

However i made a bit of a mistake in attacking the iroquous. I never held back many units to fend of the Iro counter attack. Which would have been a useful thing to do. The iro's were roughly equal to me in military strength. I think it would have been better to let them throw themselves against me for a few rounds before i moved in on them. As it is i some how got the stupid idea of attemting to capture two cities in 2 turns with artillery and infantry..but sue to splitting my forces i might not have enough to take either city (allegeny and oil springs) and even if i do..what do i do with those cities as the are next to the Iro capital an high risk of flipping..i think i'm better of to raze them.

Something else i missed was the MPP with the ottomans. Since the ottomans declared war on me..does that mean they will suffer from war-wariness?

digger760
21-01-2005, 10:59
NEWS FLASH

French Army's Edge Northward

1792AD - Units of the French Communist Army edged closer to the heart of the Iroquios empire today when it captured and razed the important Iroquios city of Allegeny. The citizens and defenders were battered senseless in a fierce artillery barrage, then, before the defenders could recover approximately 5 divisions of cavalry units charged in to capture the city. Further to the North East however at the city of Oil Springs, the french lacked the cavalry units to suprise the enemy, thus had to rely on infantry units to storm the city. Itturned out to be a bloody battle that remains poised in a dead lock. The Iroquios lost about 40,000 men in varios divisions but losses were greater on the French side, loosing about 50,000.

Further south, a seemingly indecisive Iroquios commander, retreated 8 divisions of cavalry, after they discovered there target city was re-enforced with about 5 veteren infantry divisions. and 3 injured cavalry division (returning from the battle of Allegeny).

France experienced a close shave in the hills south of Allegeny when an in expereinced french commander left only 3 infantry brigades defending its main artillery army. Their positions were attacked by Iroquios cavalry..the details are sketchy..but it is suspected that the defending french infantry were all destroyed however the iroquous cavalry were to exausted to make the final move up the hills to capture the artillery units.

Meanwhile in the French Capital of Neopolis, disconent was starting to grow as fears were spreading of the threat from the Evil Ottoman Empire, who had for many years being safely living on there own continent, building and imnproving there empire so much so that it now vastly outstrips the french empire in both manufacturing goods and gross demostic produce. The French Communist Party leaders hired some entertainment to keeps its citizens occupied from the potentially gloomy outlook.

digger760
13-06-2005, 15:06
UPDATE:

1836AD

The french military wish to advise of the death of its reporter in the Iro-French campaign of 1792-1834AD. Hence the lack of updates since the commencement of battle.

In a battle that lasted just over 40 years the French managed to capture the entire former Indian lands and the core of Iro cities including Womens Sufforage at Salamanca. The french generated about 4 leaders during the battle all of which went on to create cavalry armies.

During the battle, The Iorquios allies, the evil ottomans, were expected to attack through Iroquios lands however this never materialised. Instead the ottomans used this battle as a diversion to develop its industrial core and technology might. At some stage in the battle, the ottomans began a bombing campaign on the northern french heartland. The french were unable to do anythign about it as they had gone down the path of developing armoured vehicles, to fight an un-materialised battle against the ottomans on Iroquios turf. By this stage it was to late to relise that the ottomans were also close or may even have developed marines, thus nulling the effect of the ocean wall the french put up to stop sea borne attacks.

TO BE CONTINUED (HAVE TO REBOOT PC FOR A SOFTWARE INSTALL)

digger760
13-06-2005, 15:28
Continued:

So the french diverted there research to grab flight, so that they could build fighters and help against the bomber threat. Alas it was to late as in 1830 (or there abouts) france attacked a severly weakened lyons (bombed down to size 4) and captured it.

The french are stuck with most of there forces in recently captured iroquios lands. Most dissapointing is that the ottoman invasion force is only mediocre in numbers (looks to less than 20 infantry) and if the french had a few troops in there home land they could easily fight them off, perhaps this is another diversion and the real force is actually building in iroquios lands as originally expected[hmm].

I am bring back troops from New France, but with lack of transports, airports and airforce its gonna be tough to hold the homeland. I should at-least mobilise again cos i need more troops. But with Sir Eric out producing me and outpacing me with techs, if his current attack fails all he has to do it beat me to the nuclear age and then i will suffer the most horrible of defeats. I think i am big enough to hold out until the he gets nukes, Lets see how it goes.

digger760
16-06-2005, 12:40
1838AD

Defeat is imminent:
This turn i lost my Foreign Palace in Lyons. I did not expect it to be in reach of the ottoman units, which appeared to be infantry and artillery with some air support. But apparently there are quite a few siphai hiding in the former French city of orleans. It is hard to know these things without battle reports, but i must say it does add a certain amount of "fog of war" to the situation. I also lost Rhiems, and Marsellies (whom was only defended by a single warrior).

1940AD
The French army has a sting in its tail yet. The ottomans landed about 15 siphai and and about 5 marines on a mountain north of Calcatta. Fortunatley a transport with my cavalry army (i used to have 3, but lost two due to lazyness when fighting the Iroquios) and elite infantry was able to turn back unload units that were capable to attack thanks to the rail network the same turn. I managed to bombard most of the landing force down to 1-2 in size although some where still full strength, but my cav army managed to beat them down to size. But its obvios that i wont be able to fight of too many of these landins as it took most of my New France to win the battle.

I re-inforced paris with 8 vet infantry from the small western island.I re-enforce Orleans with units from the surronding country side, but they are all red-lined, but with only defensive units in France. It should'nt take Sir Eirc too many turns to batter my units to pulp.

From then he should be able to land too many units on New france for me to fight off. So the end of the game is near now. I will fight on until until he sends his main force to New France, and once i have limited force left there i think it will be time to resign.

Sir Eric
28-11-2005, 06:37
Mate that was a pretty good read. I was hoping to have you in two minds on where I was going to launch an invasion, and it seemed to have worked. When you declared war against the Iro it caught me by suprise. I had been building my troop base up since I finished of the Persians. I thought you would of factored that in and prepared a counter invasion force to land on my homeland once I had fully launched my attack. I had kept quite a few of my troops home during the invasion of your homeland in anticipation of such an attack. When it didn't materialise I knew it was a matter of picking the right spot for an invasion and to keep re-inforcing my army. I knew if this war was drawn out I could possibly win it. I had stopped researching techs about 2 turns into the war and was pumping out about 6 units on average per turn. I had been counting on you loosing a whole lot of yours with your war with the Iro's, and your nation not as able to provide new units as quickly as mine.

I like the novel style of writing. It makes the read a lot more interesting.