PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Secrets Revealed! Kind of...

DrAlimentado
22-10-2003, 01:03
This is a gentle reminder to everyone who reads spoilers and follows games to have the utmost discretion when discussing games or posting in threads.

It goes without saying that no-one has deliberately spoiled anything - but it is all too easy to let something minor slip without realising it. Here's an example of something that was of no consequence, but that imo should not have been posted;

(apologies to Sky for picking on him - but it made no difference to the game and illustrates my point perfectly ;))

quote:Originally posted in Anarres spoiler

We also read somewhere [groucho] that you disbanded loads of Artis [confused] why did you do that ?

Anarres hadn't said anything about the disbands in his spoiler... so the problem with this is that it absolutely confirms that I had a spy, (I had pondered the disbands in my spoiler). Although Anarres suspected that I was spying on him having it confirmed was spoiling info.

Another example from the same game occured during a msm session. I had a private chat open with someone who I was having a spoiler discussion with re: tech strategy. In the general chat Anarres announced he had built Seti - and I was told in the private window "I told you not to worry about him trading computers with the chinese" - letting slip that he had self-researched it. Very minor again but it gave me an absolute confirmation of something that I wouldn't nessecarily have known or been able to deduce.

So as a strict rule we need to be totally sure that whatever info we are giving to the player, no matter how minor, is already known by that player or is in an open thread. If this sounds a little pedantic or anal, well, it is ;) But I place a lot of importance on keeping opponents guessing where possible - initiative is half the battle :D

Aggie
22-10-2003, 07:09
You are right DrA. This arty thing WAS a spoiler. And a big one if you ask me (he let's be honest about that ;) ).

I myself spoiled a lot in the Jack Merchant - ERIKK game. Also on MSM, all in 5 minutes. I immediately realised it and ERIKK didn't notice, but still we should be aware.

I don't think that it is a good idea to have people only look into one spoiler. Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Lt. Killer M
22-10-2003, 09:01
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

You are right DrA. This arty thing WAS a spoiler. And a big one if you ask me (he let's be honest about that ;) ).

I myself spoiled a lot in the Jack Merchant - ERIKK game. Also on MSM, all in 5 minutes. I immediately realised it and ERIKK didn't notice, but still we should be aware.

I don't think that it is a good idea to have people only look into one spoiler. Does anyone have a good solution for this?

kibitzing only in one spoiler is only half the fun, but double the suspence..... I like that!

Shabbaman
22-10-2003, 10:02
It's just a form of good posture. Don't spoil.

anarres
22-10-2003, 14:02
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

You are right DrA. This arty thing WAS a spoiler. And a big one if you ask me (he let's be honest about that ;) ).Well, if we want to be honest about it - it wasn't a spoiler since I knew for some time before that DrA had a spy. IIRC DrA stoile a tech in the industrial age and I never exposed a spy after that.

Of course DrA could have tried an espionage mission and failed - but he would have to tell me in that case anyway...

But of course that doesn't negate the fact that info from one spoiler made it in to the other.

Skyfish
22-10-2003, 16:01
I totally approve this thread Dr A and I must aplogize for this terrible leak.
However I recall clearly doubting before posting and then remembering that anarres knew you had a spy : I dont remember how I knew but it probably stemmed out from an MSM conversation with anarres...

I found Aggies' reaction a bit exagerated [cry] but Dr A's concern is legitimate : I messed up and let it be a lesson for everyone [whipped]

Dr A : you can choose my Signature for 2 weeks, thats my punishment :D

Aggie
22-10-2003, 16:11
@Sky: I only noticed the post and DrA's comments here and didn't know the story behind it (additional info like anarres and you gave in this thread). And I was a bit...eh...direct :( . But that's why I also mentioned my own mistakes.

anarres
22-10-2003, 17:17
Sky - how about "Proven Cheater / Official 'Giver-Away-Of-Secrets'" for your sig? [mwaha] :D ;) [mischief]

DrAlimentado
23-10-2003, 00:10
No worries Sky! I only used you because it was a good example and I knew you wouldn't cry like a baby [tongue] - most of these things slip up on msm anyway.