PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying things at work

Lt. Killer M
20-03-2003, 22:41
What is the most annoying thing that ever happened to you at work? I do not mean the worst thing, but the one that *really* had you going: This was fucking unnecessary! :(

Here's mine (I am still boiling):

I use my own, private PC at work as it is twice as fast and has a CD-toaster. I also bought my own network cable, as back when I first needed it I didn't have a job here, so I couldn't get one form the institute.

So now we moved to a new building, scrapped our old toekn ring and BCN hub networks. Now we use Western plugs. And we lack cables.

So i lent one fo our two cables to our secretary and used one for my PC.
Today, I come to the office at 8, check mails, later leave. The PC stays on.

I come back late at night, try to check mail and CFC - no connection. Well, with the Iraq war on, no surprise...

30 minutes later - no connection. Even our own university homepage cannot be found.
I start to panick: is the network card damaged from the move? OR what? [:0]

Then, I start to check things. Suddenly, I see that my network cable is......... GONE!!!!!! [xx(]

Someone took it, and didn't leave a message! I find it next door at the secretary's Mac. Now she doesn't know anything about these things, so someone else must have 'helped' her - and helped himself to my cable!

And what makes me really mad: the cable was plugged intothe wall, then ran parrallel to the one leading to the Mac, then lay there on the table not connected to anything.

:nuke:

anarres
20-03-2003, 22:53
[:o] Sheesh, taking your own network card, that really takes the piss...

ProPain
25-03-2003, 12:59
I'm glad to say I'm selfemployed and I don't have those problems (any more). In our (me and my business partner)office we own all our pc's, networkcards, cables, coffee machines and the likes. It's a relieve.

Shabbaman
25-03-2003, 13:14
Brilliant. Do you make any money out of it? I'm sitting next to the coffee machine all day. Really productive. I'm actually planning to begin a business myself, just opening boxes full of magic cards and then sell them to annoying kids (over the internet, so I won't have to be disgraced by facing them in public)
My project supervisor would have just read two chapters of my life's work, but when I got there, he asked 'when he'd get the piece.' Crap.

Happens two times a week btw.

ProPain
25-03-2003, 23:41
shabba, we do make money out of it. Which is good because I need to feed when I'm not civing :D. Selling magic cards to kids could work, I talked to a guy who did just that at the 'spellenbeurs' (game show/fair?). He bought 4 displayboxes of magic cards from every new release. Opened them up, kept the nice ones to play with himself and sold the rest. You can imagine he wasn't making any money, but maybe when you sell em all you;ll do better. Using the internet seems wise btw :)