PDA

View Full Version : 1.27 / 1.21 compatibility issues

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 18:02
As some of you might be aware DDPP (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1270517#post1270517) had a problem with a bug in the F1 screen where ProPain could not open that screen it would immediately crash PTW and exit.

After trying a few stuff the problem was finally solved when PP downgraded to 1.21 and played the turn again.

This could mean there are compatibility issues between both versions and a lot of PBEMs have both versions...

It could also mean that Ribannah might be right in that there actually is NO 1.27 patch for the UK version of PTW (even though a lot of ppl are using 1.27 without problem).

Anyway that was just an FYI...

Side question : do ppl using a no-cd patch have any problems with it ? Because that's the main reason ppl are not upgrading to 1.27 right now I believe.

Plux
01-10-2003, 18:21
The no-cd for 1.27 is readily available. I have it right here :). Good news on the ddpp game!

Ribannah
20-10-2003, 00:35
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

It could also mean that Ribannah might be right in that there actually is NO 1.27 patch for the UK version of PTW (even though a lot of ppl are using 1.27 without problem).

Well, I never got a reply from ATARI to my questions, so by now I'm pretty sure.

ProPain
20-10-2003, 12:33
Well I had a problem running he 1.27 and not the 1.21 which indicates 2 different versions. Also it has quite some different features, like the different MP startup and the mobilisation bug. So I'm convinced they're 2 different patches.

Ribannah
20-10-2003, 13:45
The problem is that the file advertised as the 1.27 UK patch is in fact not a real UK patch. AFAICS it is a stripped-down version (copy-protection stuff removed?) of the USA patch, which when applied to the UK PTW version of the original game (or an earlier patch) overwrites data and causes games to crash.

DrAlimentado
20-10-2003, 16:04
the 1.27 UK patch that I use has the UK copy protection on it. (well... it did. But I hate waiting for diskscan to boot so....)

I have no idea whether it is a 'real' UK patch or not, I'm not sure what the difference is besides the copy protection. I'm fairly sure it has been stated that the copy protection is the only difference so I'm not sure what the issue is with that...

It seems to me that there are simply some incompatibility issues with 1.21 and 1.27, but I'm no expert. Where both ppl are using 1.27 there seems to have been no complaints.

Ribannah
20-10-2003, 16:17
Well, that is the point. What I'm thinking is that the copy protection SHOULDN'T have been the only difference because the original UK and USA versions, as well as the 1.14 patches on later CD's, had more differences, too.
So the incompatibility is also between 1.27 'UK' and 1.00/1.14 UK which unfortunately WILL be combined if you use the 1.27 'UK' patch.

It is quite telling that AFAIK there have been NO compatibility issues reported between 1.21 USA and 1.27 USA.

DrAlimentado
21-10-2003, 14:23
hmmm..... but how many instances of incompatibility have been reported at all? most of us have used 1.21 with 1.27 with some success. It is only now that it appears that there is an issue - so generally it is ok, it's just in certain circumstances there are problems.

The only reports I have seen have been at CDZ - where we play a lot of pbem and we are 95% non-US, so imho it isn't telling at all.

I believe 1.21/1.27 is incompatible with 1.14 on all versions. FWIW your assertation that 1.27 is causing UK games to crash dosen't tally with me... I have experienced less F3 crashes etc. than I did with 1.21/1.14. YMMV.

Ribannah
22-10-2003, 00:52
Shabbaman posted the exact same problem that I have just a few threads down on this page.