PDA

View Full Version : 4 player PBEM - GAME STARTED

ProPain
30-09-2003, 17:04
I saw stagnate wanted a 4 player PBEM and I kinda fancy one myself.

Any other takers??

PP

Samildanach
30-09-2003, 17:10
Since my game with CB ended I'll play. Who is stagnate ? I didn't see that one posted.

digger760
30-09-2003, 17:20
hmmm.....find it hard to resist these types of games..but you guys are diety level and might blow me out of the water.

and i have (checks PTW/sav folder) 10 PBEM's going on.... and only 2 of them are 1 on 1.

Well maybe i should pass on this one, but you might be bale to talk me into it if you don't get enough takers.

Matrix
30-09-2003, 18:51
I'd like to do this. :) I don't have that many PBEM's going on right now and I like multi-(as-in-more-than-two-players)-player games. ;)

ProPain
01-10-2003, 00:53
Matrix isnt a deity player either (afaik) so dont let that stop you. We could also make this a 2v2 and try to even out the level difference that way.

stagnate
01-10-2003, 06:30
I am stagnate. What, you needed more info? :-P

This is just my second post, but you can reach me stagnate@powerballzone.com, I can play 20:00 - midnight MST but generally access more frequently than that.

Prefer carthage (I'm flexible but don't care for some civs) but map settings don't really matter (standard pref, although small would be ok).

I might like to make it via the 'honourable' rules from RBCiv if you guys are down for that.

I'm not deity level, can handle emporer I think, only played at that level ~3 times.

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 09:29
Hey I like the 2v2 idea if you look for another Deity player to team up with :D
What would the 2v2 it really entail PP ?

Matrix
01-10-2003, 11:12
I am most certainly no deity player. [eek]

I would prefer that everyone plays for himself. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 11:52
Hey Matrix I thought you liked original ideas and special scenarios :
heck you're actually playing a PBEM with yourself where you play all of the 8 civs [crazyeye] [slay] [crazyeye] !!!!!!!!!!!!!
How could team play not be fun ? *I* find quite interesting concept and it could lead to real nice strategies :D

ProPain
01-10-2003, 15:07
mmm, there are 6 players now. Unless Matrix really doenst wanna play in teams, we can do a 2v2v2 or 3v3. The more I think about it, the more fun I think it will be.

Some sort of pbem demo game.

Samildanach
01-10-2003, 15:19
No offence stagnate - I just didnt see your game request posted. Yes, team play could be fun. I have played as part of a team in Starcraft and people get really fucked off - which is highly amusing:D

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 15:42
Depends what level Samildanach is really ? (for the team)
More than 2v2 is too cumbersome and I just signed up IN CASE you needed another Deity player...
I am hooked on the idea now though...

ProPain
01-10-2003, 15:52
OK guys. At least I'm gonna start a 2 v 2 now. Sign up if you wanna. If we have more people interested we can start more than 1, simple as that.

Player 1: ProPain
player level : deity light (I estimate I win more than half of my deity games, but nowhere near the start-huge-map-on-desert-island-and-win-anyway kinda player)

Samildanach
01-10-2003, 15:53
Oh, I struggle on anything above warlord - be gentle with me:D

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 16:06
Well I am signing up for this as well but teams should be made by level right ?
Player 2 : Skyfish
Level : Deity (have-no-idea-what-my-real-level-is-cause-I-have-not-played-SP-in-a-year-or-so)

ProPain
01-10-2003, 16:15
Samil, I quick-read your spoiler against CB. I;m gonna take the liberty to adjust your level from 'above warlord' to 'deity or at least near to it'

digger760
01-10-2003, 16:28
Actually i think i would like to do this now, i might learn something. I am a monarch/emperor player.

Player 3: digger760
Level: Easy Emperor

Samildanach
01-10-2003, 16:42
Player 4 : I haven't lost a diety sp game in quite a while - But in the immortal words of Han Solo "good against droids is one thing, good against the living is another matter" Wheres my blasters?[hammer]

Samildanach
01-10-2003, 16:56
Well since we have 3 diety players ( PP, Sky, Sam) and 3 Emperor players ( matrix, digger and stag). I'll take a back seat and PP can decide which two of the three Emps gives the best balance.

ProPain
01-10-2003, 16:57
So we have Samil, Sky, Digger, and myself. Any thoughts on teams?

digger760
01-10-2003, 17:08
@Samildanach: 6 people is probably to many.

@ProPain: who will be willing to carry me.

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 17:09
Contrary to Sam I have lost quite a lot of Deity games so I propose the following teams :
- Skyfish/Propain : team 1
- Samildanach/ Digger : team 2

Makes sense no ?

digger760
01-10-2003, 17:11
hmmm, maybe i could get an extra settler too [wink]

EDIT: how come i dont see the wink smiley in the smiley list?

anarres
01-10-2003, 17:29
[eek]

Wow - I thought it couldn'tbe missing but it is!!

Skyfish
01-10-2003, 17:36
Cause [wink] is actually written ;) with brackets

digger760
01-10-2003, 17:38
hmmm anarres you are playing funny buggers, i went to reply with quote to see your wink smiler and discover it has changed to an eek smiley, not only that, you added text to your post!!!.[hmm]

All that and no edit notice at the bottom;). For a minute there Opera was getting the sack as my default web browser. But now its back in the good books.

Samildanach
01-10-2003, 17:43
Well I actually withdrew - thats what I meant by "taking a back seat" as it wont be balanced as it is - matrix and stag are still interested as far as I know. But if not count me in and we can haggle over the checks and balances[shoot][rocket]:D

ProPain
01-10-2003, 17:52
In that case I propose

PP/Digger vs Sky/stag

Considering Matrix would preferr 1v1v1v1

digger760
01-10-2003, 18:10
Stagnate, forgive my ignorance but were is the MST timezone? I did a quick search and see that it might be Mountain Standard Time Zone. thats about GMT -7 so most likely you'll be online when the rest of us are not. So that will limit us to one turn a day at best.

Thats no harm to me, I am in other games that are moving about the same rate.

I am ok Propains proposal as well. But do myself and ProPain have a communication advantage? both he and i are able to discuss strategy all day long ,if we were to team up. If it were Stagnate and Skyfish, you'd be as good as stuck with email.

digger760
01-10-2003, 18:14
On the other hand Myself, ProPain, Skyfish and Matrix could do a 1vs1vs1vs1, and that might well move at 1+ turns a day, but that could be bad for my next performance review at work, considering we are all able to play during my work hours.

stagnate
01-10-2003, 20:37
MST is GMT - 0700 correct. I can play a turn in the morning (1500 - 1600 GMT), and possibly one during lunch (1900 - 2100 GMT), and plenty after work (when you all are asleep (0100 --- GMT). So if the order is arranged correctly, I can play a turn in the evening, you guys run through and get me a save by 1500 GMT, I play, and if I get a turn during the middle of the day (can check from work) I'll play it.

Figure 1.5-2.5 turns per day, I'm pretty responsive on email. I don't think that the communication issue will be that extreme, but I've never done a team game so we'll just have to see.

ProPain
01-10-2003, 23:24
@stagnate:I can live with 2 turns a day, 4 player will be slow anyway.

@digger: I'm also in favor for 1v1v1v1 as you propose. I'll take the zulus.

stagnate
02-10-2003, 02:52
Soooo, order of turns (as asked in your other post): AABB or ABAB.

Also, do we want to have contact right away, or only until in game? Possibly wait until someone reaches a player on the other 'tier' and at that point establish teams based on contact (ensures teammates are likely to be close...)

Skyfish
02-10-2003, 10:01
Good point Stag.
There's quite a few rules to go over :
- Are team members allowed to play each other's turns ? I wouldn't agree to that personally as that would level up the team, its better ot focus on good communication (part of the challenge) and will not give the "european team" a slight advantage...
- The map should be made by the Map Makers ensuring team mates are close to each other.
- It should be clear that only "team results" should be valid (i.e preventing possibility of nasty internal backstabbing)
- Should there be any AIs ?
- Agreement needs to be reached over Civs...

ProPain
02-10-2003, 11:04
Started a discussion thread here:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=982

digger760
02-10-2003, 16:04
I just remembered I'm going on holiday from 13th October until the 20th October. Then is only about 10 days to chris....i mean conquests (fingers..toes crossed)....maybe we should wait for that.

digger760

Matrix
02-10-2003, 19:28
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

heck you're actually playing a PBEM with yourself where you play all of the 8 civs [crazyeye] [slay] [crazyeye] !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, you didn't quite understand. I'll be playing eight single player games, all on the same map with the same Civs on the same positions and I'll play each Civ once. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/king.gif

I actually have started a six player Hotseat once on my own (playing as Matrix, Maarten, Constantijn, Lensink, Marianne & Schäeffer [coool]) but haven't finished it yet. I don't know whether I still have it. [rolleyes]

Edit: I do have it. :D Think I'll play some more turns again. It's a kind of project one shouldn't start and continue till the end, but more in stages. ;)

stagnate
04-10-2003, 00:23
Ok so we need to finalize this and run with it?

I'm flexible on map settings; random is fine, as is some tinkering to ensure reasonable starts, but I don't want it too much mucked with.

I don't like random civs because there are some traits I really don't like (don't fit my gameplay), but with 2v2 it might be interesting to make it all random, and then have the partners choose which civ to play, so it's random with a little flexibility.

Monarch/Emporer difficulty is ok with me. Wouldn't mind doing 4 AI, but don't care much either way.

digger760
06-10-2003, 18:03
briefly spoke to Skyfish today on MSN, ProPain was too busy.

ProPain and myself had spoken last week about which civs we'ds like, we decided to choose Greece and China. We would also like some AI thrown in for good measure.

Skyfish said that you guys would be happy with England and Korea ;)

stagnate
06-10-2003, 20:54
Korea. Bah. You don't know how pissed I was when I realized I couldn't get a military golden age with Korea (was first(?) emporer game and no chance at wonder golden age).

Carthage is my choice. I'll get an IM account so maybe we can actually converse during the day; I don't really use IM myself (that's why I thought things were mostly dead :-P).

Skyfish
06-10-2003, 21:31
Digger was pulling a bad joke Stag ! :(
No way we are picking those 2 civs.
I am happy with you taking Carthage, I will take the Ottomans then...

stagnate
06-10-2003, 22:17
Yeah, I keep forgetting to use smilies. BTW, AP or not? All my multi games have been AP, which makes it faster but really changes the tone of the game. I think I saw a note about no AP, which is fine by me but figure it should be said.

You can connect to Stagnate101@hotmail.com with MSN IM if that's what you're using. If you are using a different client let me know. I'm not using that account actively yet (need to migrate some contacts) but will in the future.

Skyfish
06-10-2003, 22:29
[cool]
I added you to my adress book hopefully you will get a message with my contact info.
We are indeed using MSM, hope to see you there soon :D

ps : we never play with AP around here so am afraid its' off the table for now [no]

digger760
07-10-2003, 12:22
OK i'd like to get this game moving, Details as far as i can tell from the thread:

Digger/ProPain China/Greece
Skyfish/Stagnate Carthage/Ottomans

4AI

I think we should play emperor, Never even tried diety, had a few wins on emperor, but only on tiny maps were the AI dont look to big and scary.

Might i suggest a spattered pangea map, one in which the odd boat might be useful.

Skyfish
07-10-2003, 14:15
No i'd rather see a normal pangea, but am not bothered.
All the rest is OK you can post the map request. Size standard right ?

stagnate
08-10-2003, 17:35
Pangea is fine by me. Standard size. Sounds good.