PDA

View Full Version : Complaints about slow play

WildFire
07-09-2003, 01:12
This is a request to either have CivGeneral kicked off or put on heavy mega time probation. Why I'd want this to happen:

1) He takes 4+ days to play/send the game (ask puwen too)

2) Its like when I ask him to play it, he just doesn't want to.

3) Visit the SG forum of CFC and u can see that he signs up for many games and hardly ever follows through. Tonight, Chieftess had to YELL at him so that he would play it. At 7:30 EST, he said he was gonna do 5 turns tonight and 5 tomorrow. He was in the chat pratically all day.

4) In relation to #3, he shows NO RESPONSIBILITY.

5) I am gonna get links [^]

CivGeneral
07-09-2003, 02:32
quote:Originally posted by WildFire

This is a request to either have CivGeneral kicked off or put on heavy mega time probation. Why I'd want this to happen:

1) He takes 4+ days to play/send the game (ask puwen too)
This is not true, I am in College which takes a bulk of some of my time away from the computer

2) Its like when I ask him to play it, he just doesn't want to.
This is not true. I am willing to play the save

3) Visit the SG forum of CFC and u can see that he signs up for many games and hardly ever follows through. Tonight, Chieftess had to YELL at him so that he would play it. At 7:30 EST, he said he was gonna do 5 turns tonight and 5 tomorrow. He was in the chat pratically all day.
Hey, I had to Down Patch to V1.21 to play that SG. Plus I am only in one SG. Plust I have done my 10 turns already

4) In relation to #3, he shows NO RESPONSIBILITY.
I do have Responsibility

5) I am gonna get links [^]
That does not make sense.

Chieftess
07-09-2003, 02:35
Just some input...

First, WF, you do have a tendency to troll CG just to get him emotional, and you seem to feed on that.

On the other hand, CG can't concentrate. He's doing too many things at once when he barely has time for them, leading him to forget what he's doing.

quote:This is not true, I am in College which takes a bulk of some of my time away from the computer

CG, I think that's just the problem. That's one reason I never went to Apolyton for so long - I was in college. You're trying to be in the demogame, succession game, and a PBEM, all while being at college. Look at Falcon, he doesn't have time for everything. You want to be a chemist/pharmacist, right? That's takes some studying. You really need to learn focus.

Ehecatl Atzin
07-09-2003, 02:40
Chieftess? that you? (Sorry for thread-jacking :D)

CivGeneral
07-09-2003, 02:45
quote:Originally posted by Chieftess
CG, I think that's just the problem. That's one reason I never went to Apolyton for so long - I was in college. You're trying to be in the demogame, succession game, and a PBEM, all while being at college. Look at Falcon, he doesn't have time for everything. You want to be a chemist/pharmacist, right? That's takes some studying. You really need to learn focus.

Chemist. That is why I whent to the Judicary in the Demogame. And why I am in 1 SG and I limit myself to 2 PBEMs at Max.

Zarn
07-09-2003, 02:47
Wildfire, you are being rash with CivGeneral. It was uncalled for. You wanted to upset CG.

CG, don't let other people get to you. Remember that Curt always tried to get under my skin, but you told me that I shouldn't let him do that. I didn't. I'm fine. He's banned. Like CT said, College takes alot of time. I should know. I'm in one myself. I also have a job, and family to keep in touch with. I'm sure you have others things, too. Make sure you don't bite more than you can chew. We aren't superheroes, CG. We are just people. You got to remember that.

jack merchant
07-09-2003, 04:21
Totally off-topic for this thread (but hey, that's allowed here ;)), but welcome to CDZ you all !

DrAlimentado
07-09-2003, 15:26
Hi Zarn and CT :) (CT.. I know you've posted here before but that thread was locked and buried before I could say hi ;))

WF - I think you need to be a bit more diplomatic about this, your post is close to doing nothing more than launching a personal attack on CG. Whilst I can understand some frustration on your part CG is not the only person here to slow games to the point of death! The question does also beg as to why you started a 2nd game after being burned by him a first time... [confused]
Still, you have a point, but if you could make it in a nicer way it would be less contentious. Or make it in private, chat to the ladder admins or send them an email if you want to vent ;)

CG - what I don't understand is why you are so keen to start PBEM's when it appears you have no time to play them. I am not the fastest PBEM-er here by any means but as a rule of thumb you either need to play a turn a day minimum or get online and do some 'powersessions' now and again. Preferably both. Any less than that and games go from taking months to finish, to years to finish! And that's just silly. I would suggest you think hard about what time you have to commit to pbem and if you can't make time then don't over-commit yourself.

The ladder admins need to adjudicate on this game to see if CG has been too tawdry returning turns and if WF gets a win, and although that's as far as the mechanism goes at the moment we perhaps also need to think about at what point we evict someone from the ladder for continual non-playing of games.

Lt. Killer M
07-09-2003, 16:48
ahem, CG, then you play against me and WF and that is it for your PBEMs? only these two????

anarres
07-09-2003, 16:58
Well, WildFire did approach me in private to tell me about how he was unhappy with the rate of progression in this game. I told WildFire he needed to post in the Ladder forum for something to happen about it (since I am not a Ladder Admin it would be inappropriate for me to do anything about it).

The style of WildFire's post is a little harsh, but the point raised is not necessarily invalidated by this. CivGeneral and WildFire played a game before which was abandoned by CivGeneral. WildFire didn't claim a win but let that game drop with no ladder consequenses.

If CivGeneral is sincere in his desire to carry on playing this game then maybe a comprimise can be reached where both players can agree to 1/turn day average, and if this can't be maintianed on a weekly basis the other player can claim a win. I think this would be a fair set of conditions for any game.

In any case, this can be resolved amicably - there is no need for anyone to get annoyed or pissed off about it. Playing Civ is meant to be fun after all. :)

Cartouche Bee
07-09-2003, 17:20
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a someone to play 7 turns a week. There are exceptions but some sort of notification should be required for an exemption.
The ladder should move along or it diminishes in value. If a player can't finish some games, well, they should take the loss. I agree civ should be fun but when you play people who don't play the turns for extended periods of time the game goes stale. I've got some games like that now and really there should be some movement to end the dead games.

WildFire
07-09-2003, 21:30
I don't think it is harsh at all. If you know CG, as I kinda do, you know that he means well but he hardly ever follows through on most his PBEMs and SG's.

@CG: College is getting in your way? My brother is also in his first year of college and is not having any of the troubles that you are having. The first 2 weeks of school can't be that hard, High School or college.

@CT and Zarn: I am pretty much 99% sure that CG put you up to posting in this thread. Good for him. I just want you two to realize that I pretty much don't care what your input it becase Zarn, you registered JUST TO reply in this thread. As most of CFC knows, CT just has a soft spot for CG and will try to help him out whenever possible.

CG: You ONLY played the SG last night when Chieftess more or less yelled at you to play it. You played mine and puwen's game AFTER I showed up and asked you to play it. You could play the turn once a day; I know that for a fact. Whenever you are in the chat room, and your in it a lot, you could take 5 minutes to play the turn.

If I have my say, I don't want you kicked from the ladder, I'd just want you on probation or something that will make you have an incentive to play at least a turn a day.

CivGeneral
07-09-2003, 21:39
quote:Originally posted by WildFire
[brIf I have my say, I don't want you kicked from the ladder, I'd just want you on probation or something that will make you have an incentive to play at least a turn a day.

I have responsibility. And I dont want to be kicked norbe on probation in the ladder. Wildfire, cant you just Drop this thread.

What Anarres said. I beleve we should make a compromise before we get rash about this.

How 'bout this... WF... you drop the thread... in exchange... CG... you PROMISE him that your get the save to him in a reasonable time. I will notify the people who I am playing the PBEM with. That Ill be leaving for an extended amount of time due to Vacation.

WildFire
08-09-2003, 00:48
Links showing my frusturations of the 1st pbem.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48323

jack merchant
08-09-2003, 00:50
Let's not forget that PBEMs require a commitment on both sides - and in the early stages, a couple of minutes per day is all that is necessary to keep things moving. If someone can spend hours in a chat forum but can't play a turn every now and then (maybe even every day - hey - plenty of people here manage it even though theyre at work all day !)', then clearly, there is something wrong. Even really busy people can and should be able to spare ten minutes a day to play a turn - and if they can't, they shouldn't ask others to make the same commitment !

Stapel
08-09-2003, 08:53
What a whining soap this is! I am pretty amazed by it. What a bunch of girls you are (that was cynical)!

First of all, I don't think someones scandalous behaviour on SGs on another forum matters here.
Second, what is the problem? When a PBEM goes slow, what is exactly wrong? I am pretty sure Wildfire plays like 10 PBEMs atm, so if one of them is going slow, why be bothered? I agrre it is not what you want or expect, but when reading the above, I get the impression CG just killed somebody!

Loosen up please, my dear CDZ friends!

ProPain
08-09-2003, 09:18
Welcome to all the new posters. Now you're here why not join the ladder and pick up a 1v1 game.

WF and CG : On the ladder issue

1. I'm not going to suspend anyone from the ladder for playing slowly.

2. I advise you both to agree on a minimal number of turns to be played in a week. When one player doesn't live up to his minimal turn promise the other can claim a win.

Your ladder admin. PP

CivGeneral
08-09-2003, 09:26
quote:Originally posted by ProPain
[br2. I advise you both to agree on a minimal number of turns to be played in a week. When one player doesn't live up to his minimal turn promise the other can claim a win.

Your ladder admin. PP

Lets see. 1 Turn Per Day sonds good to me. In doing the math. The minimal Number of turns to be played in a week should be 6 turns per week.

Shabbaman
08-09-2003, 10:08
Could these things go through private chat with the ladder admins first? IMO opening a thread like this is not good for the reputation of the subject of this thread, nor for the poster himself. I could name you some forums where you'd get banned for posting a thread like this. Now, that's way too harsh, but such a guideline gives a good indication of decent behaviour.

I've taken the liberty to change the old titel ("Kicking CivGeneral off the ladder").

ProPain
08-09-2003, 11:52
Several additional pointers seem appropriate:

Please settle on a number of turns in private chat or via email.
Although Shabba suggest the ladder admin should be involved I STRONGLY oppose this statement. I'm quite busy (I have a company to run, PBEMS to play, a ladder to keep up, a laptop that is in constant need of repair, some friends that want me to accompany them to the pub and a girlfriend that I should pay attention to if I don't wanna return to an empty house one day) so please do not involve me into discussions on how many turns 2 players wanna play. As a rule of thumb I'd say one turn a day is minimal unless a specific situation prohibites this. (Like your laptop ruining your HD every week [cry][cry])
Please refrain from posting private disputes in this forum.
First try to work out things between the 2 players involved. If this turns out to be inpossible please send me an email or look me up on MSM (I'm almost always online during GMT+1 daytime).

PP

WildFire
08-09-2003, 20:26
quote:Originally posted by CivGeneral

Lets see. 1 Turn Per Day sonds good to me. In doing the math. The minimal Number of turns to be played in a week should be 6 turns per week.

That would be 7 turns a week minimum.

20 years old and you can't add :p

ProPain
08-09-2003, 20:41
Closing this thread.

PP