PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of Civilization

Swingue
26-08-2003, 15:24
The idea of this scenario is to create a game which plays before the Ancient age and ends at the end of the Ancient age. A game which represents the struggle of mankind to form civilization. The step from nomads to farming, from pagan religion to monotheism.

To create such a scenario with the Civ3 editor takes a lot of work. The following adjustments have to be made:

Techtree:
We need to create a complete new techtree, comprising 4 ages (e.g. wood age, stone age, bronze age, iron age) with techs. Creating techs we can 'borrow' from games like Age of Empires and Rise of Nations.

Units:
The units must represent the time they are created. Also here AoE and RoN can be helpfull though making up units ourselves is also cool. Personally I am thinking of several kinds of workers who do different tasks, more units using bows, spears, or stone throwing, ending with chariots, phalanxes, etc.

Resources:
Since the civilizations are hunter/gatherers we need more resource tiles (eg berries, swines, peacocks, strawberries, apples, grapes, salmon, etc.). Also the strategic resources should change

Cities:
In this era, cities do not really exist, there are some villages, maybe towns and they must be very hard to start (eg. Make settlers expensive and drain more population). If possible we should include the option that cities can move if resources are finished.

Government:
Of course most government types will not be available, so we need to comprise some new ones, (eg. anarchy, despotism, enlightened despotism, religious cult, clan, monarchy).

Map:
The map most probably consist of less than 60% water since sailing most likely only discovered late.

Wonders:
The wonders have to change to match the era, some of the wonders exist (eg. Hanging Gardens, Piramides, etc.) Some new can be added (maybe with use from civ2/ctp eg Stone Henge, Crop Circles, Hunnebed, Chitzen Itza, etc.)

City improvements:
The city improvements also have to be changed to fit the era. Basic new improvements could be (water well, houses, stone houses, barn, mill, druid tree -> altar -> temple, etc.)

Barbarians:
Barbs will play a bigger role, especially as wild animals eg, making the creation of a civilisation much more difficult.

Movement:
It might be an interesting thought to restrict movement on certain landtiles (eg. High mountains) for most of the units.

Swingue
26-08-2003, 15:27
It is a lot of work, but certainly with a group of people it is easy. I wonder if it is possible to alter the present gameplay to fit this age. E.g. change mining into 'holding animals' etc.

Further I am interested to see if it is possible to make 'moving villages', in this period they were nomads and as I can remember from civ2 it is possible to change your village into a settler again. This would be usefull if the resources are finished.

Swingue
26-08-2003, 15:30
So give your best shot, any ideas for a techtree?

DrAlimentado
26-08-2003, 19:26
some thoughts...

I really like the flavour of ancient age mods but the trickiest thing by far is balancing them so that they play well. Most of the mods I have played have had issues with this - usually resulting in the AI just not being able to handle the changes. The more radical the changes, the more difficult to make it play well, civ3 is a pretty fine-balanced game so even minor tweaks can change the balance of the game significantly.

This is a very ambitious project, massive even. I would start by grabbing every available unit graphic, building graphic etc. (that fits) from CFC. Be careful of ripping stuff from other civ3 mods though as some authors are not happy for you to do so. There is a wealth of stuff available though which AFAIK is perfectly ok to use in any way you see fit, you just need to check that permission is given in some instances.

There are already a few mods around which are similar to this concept, the Ancient Med mod springs to mind, as well balrogs Fantasy Mod to an extent. There are a couple of others set in the ancient world too whose names escape me... anyway you might need to think about how this mod will differ from these.

I (and I suspect most others here) tend to spend what civ time we get bashing eachother senseless in pbem, so you might not get that much assistance on this from CDZ. Not to discourage you but just to say you will probably have to do the bulk of this project yourself to see it through, or get a team together at CFC or CDG to work on it.
Having said that I will offer some very limited help, I can cut/paste resources.pcx's together pretty easy and do simple graphics stuff like that, ie. unit/building gfx for the civlopedia etc. (no unit creation though!) How much I can do depends on what time I have at that moment, but ask and I'll let you know.

I also have a pretty good understanding of the editor and game files, so I may be able to answer queries you have on how to do stuff in the editor, whats possible etc. I'm not sure exactly what you mean about turning a village into a settler, other than building a settler at size2 pop (the old way of abandoning cities iirc) I dont see any other options to do with this in the editor.

On maps, nothing wrong with providing a map but imo its nice for a mod to have a random map version, because it adds replayability. The % land/water options are hardcoded into the game so you wont be able to change it from 60/70/80 for a random map unfortunately. Of course a provided map can be anything you want it to be.

Good Luck :D!

Turner_727
27-08-2003, 17:00
A fine idea, a fine idea! [goodjob]

Unfortunately, after playing DyP, I've pretty much given up on doing my own mod. . . .So I will be of little help.

I would be more than happy to help you beta test it, tho.

Kingreno
27-08-2003, 17:17
Swingue (the wanker [lol]) ,

great idea! didn't know you had such an interest. I always thought PP was doin the game and you were earning the money:D.

As you'll probably need more people to achieve a good mod I'd like to help on the historic part. If you want I can look into tribes/leaders/citynames/correct unit names of that era.

just lemme know.[goodjob]

Swingue
28-08-2003, 15:41
Yo King,

Good thought, lets start!

Pastorius
23-02-2005, 10:48
[bump]

So, another idea buried in a pile of spam?

Swingue
23-02-2005, 11:01
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

[bump]

So, another idea buried in a pile of spam?

Hmmm, I am afraid you're right [blush2]

Ribannah
26-03-2005, 17:06
When Civ3 was still being created, I made the following list of prehistoric techs:

Foraging (exploitation of forest and jungle)
Hunting (exploitation of grassland, swamp and ocean)
Fire (exploitation of tundra and glacier)
Stonecutting (exploitation of hills and mountains)
Herding (exploitation of plains and desert)
Paganism (Shaman)

Agriculture (Warehouse, villages)
Mining (mining)
Roads (roading)
Herbal Lore
Weaponry (Warrior)
Storytelling

Pottery (Granary, Hanging Gardens)
The Canoe (Canoe)
Archery (Archer, Sun Tzu's War Academy)
Ceremonial Burial (Temple, Angkor Wat)
Bronze Working (Phalanx, Colossus)
Irrigation (irrigation)
Masonry (City Walls, Pyramids)
The Calendar (Stonehenge)
Horseback Riding (Horseman)

I had history start with:

The Council (Barracks, Town Hall, villages can grow)