PDA

View Full Version : Destinguish Genuine from Fake Smiles

smalltalk
25-08-2003, 20:25
Maybe you have heard from Laughlab.

Laughlab is currently running "The Smile Study", to discover whether people can spot the difference between a genuine and fake smile.

quote:You will be asked a few questions about yourself and then will be shown ten pairs of photographs of people's faces. *For each pair, in one of the photographs the person is genuinely smiling, in the other the smile is fake.
http://luckfactor.co.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LuckLabSmiles

My result was:
quote:
You correctly identified 8 out of 10 of the genuine smiles.

They also ran a web experiment to find the world's funniest joke. The experiment is finished.
http://www.laughlab.co.uk/summary.html

This is the winner:

A couple of New Jersey hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing, his eyes are rolled back in his head. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps to the operator: “My friend is dead! What can I do?” The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: “Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead.” There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: “OK, now what?"

Laughlab analysed the data from the ten countries that rated the highest number of jokes. The following ‘league table’ lists the countries, in the order of how funny they found the jokes:
Most funny
Germany
France
Denmark
UK
Australia
The Republic of Ireland
Belgium
USA
New Zealand
Canada

Least funny

Now this list is quite funny in itself. Is it so, that the Germans have the most humor of us all? Or are they just laughing about any and every BS?

Anyway, here's my fave from the site:

A scientist and a philosopher were being chased by a hungry lion. The scientist made some quick calculations, he said "its no good trying to outrun it, its catching up". The philosopher kept a little ahead and replied " I am not trying to outrun the lion, I am trying to out run you"!

Matrix
25-08-2003, 20:37
5 out of 10 were correct. [rolleyes] Not very surprising: just random.

anarres
25-08-2003, 21:21
7/10. Hmm, better than average. [satan]

Ehecatl Atzin
25-08-2003, 21:42
7 of ten, some of them are right down creepy...

Plux
25-08-2003, 22:21
8/10.. very confusing those upside down ones [???]

ProPain
10-09-2003, 10:29
quote:
You correctly identified 9 out of 10 of the genuine smiles.

A lot of them have people leaning against trees. I'm suspecting those are the fake ones, but I only noticed the tree after I was almost done so I'm not sure.

Shabbaman
10-09-2003, 11:09
I like this better with the real/fake boobies test.

digger760
10-09-2003, 13:02
how about heman/sheman.....bad memories

Darkness
10-09-2003, 13:55
5/10....

ERIKK
10-09-2003, 14:17
7/10

Lt. Killer M
10-09-2003, 16:31
5/10.

very interesting that they turn them upside down. I once read (and confirmed that for myself) that the way the brain assembles images from the raw data depends on the amount of 'expected' information, so that a face that is upside down doesn't fit, takes longer to turn into a 'proper' picture - consequently, you lose out on noticing details. Also, an eye is an eye, upside down or not - so you tend to read upside down eyes as you would correctly angeld ones - resulting in a total inability to judge emotions, as the differences in movement between upper and lower eyelid contain the info - which one promptly mixes up!

I tested this witha few pics of a girl, she was making faces at the camera in about half of them. I showed these to my friends upside down (full face or just the eyes, rest covered). Upside down, it was hard to determine which were the grimacing pics from the full portrait pics and totally impossible fromt he eyes!

anarres
10-09-2003, 17:30
Apparently we have a significant part of the brain put to one side solely for the purpose of recognising faces and interpreting them. As Killer says - once you change the 'layout' that part of the brain is fucked, and you have to try and use the rest of it, no 'intuition' allowed...

Lt. Killer M
11-09-2003, 02:02
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Apparently we have a significant part of the brain put to one side solely for the purpose of recognising faces and interpreting them. As Killer says - once you change the 'layout' that part of the brain is fucked, and you have to try and use the rest of it, no 'intuition' allowed...

[lol] I just realized I can edit your message......

as you said: 'fucked'------