PDA

View Full Version : A new Exploit!!!

Kingreno
24-08-2003, 14:02
Ok, this could be heavy...

We all know that the comp perserves the random seed with goody huts, so opening one that gives an advanced tribe, and in the same turn opening another one with barbs, you could reload and open hut 2 first to get the tribe there.
What's new: If you open a hut that would spawn barbs BUT you surrounded ALL open tiles around this hut by units, the hut will NOT spawn barbs but give a good thing instead!!! I tested it, opening one hut which gave barbs, and after reload opened the hut surrounded by warriors which gave me a skilled warrior!!! [:o]

So, no need for expansionists anymore?
I do not know if someone else has already noted this before but if not I'll take credit for the discovery. :D

Aggie
24-08-2003, 14:37
To pull this of, no barbarians, you should have 10 warriors scouting togehter? Seems too expensive to me, since you also have to do other things than building warriors in the first phase of the game...

DrAlimentado
24-08-2003, 17:07
not only do you need a silly number of scouts... you also need to be a cheating bastard to be doing a reload cheat! [:O]

still, full marks for the discovery Kingreno ;)

ProPain
24-08-2003, 19:04
DrA: you dont need a silly number of scouts, because expansionist civs never get barbs anyway. Also you don't need to reload, you need lots of warriors/other units though. I think this can be interesting for those huts close to your capital. Don't open them untill you can surround them with units and be sure you don't get barbs.

Moonsinger
24-08-2003, 19:14
In order to surrounded ALL open tiles around this hut by units, you need about 8 units plus 1 to open the hut. Where on earth would we find that many units to begin with (not before 1000 BC I think). Even if we have 9 units, it would take forever to move them into position because I doubt that we have built many road at this point. Also by the time we are able to commit that many units to open just 1 hut, we are usually in the Middle Age and have no need for any more goodie hut. Therefore, I think this exploit isn't an exploit because it's a waste of time and valuable resources.

DrAlimentado
24-08-2003, 19:27
I stand corrected PP :D warriors it is...

I do agree with moonsinger though, who has explained my POV much more eloquently than I did. IMO the only possible use of this is if you discover an isolated hut later in the game (on an island say) - and then you'd probably not mind if it was barbs as you'd level up your unit.

Kingreno
25-08-2003, 07:27
I tested in a deitygame if it was possible. Indeed it is hard to get many units to do this BUT I did find two huts on the coast, where I needed only 4 units to block all land. I got 25 gold and a tech!
This is not about NOT getting barbs, it is about what you get instead...
I am not saying it is a "great" discovery but I do think that in some cases it is still very useful.

Shabbaman
25-08-2003, 07:49
The more exploits, the better ;)
This is definately some form of 'lazy programming': some dude at firaxis just didn't have the time to come up with an alternative formula if the 'spawn on tiles next to hut' formula didn't work. "Crap, it's friday afternoon!"

Aggie
25-08-2003, 07:57
@Kingreno: This is the first time that I hear about it. So [thumbsup] to you.

Kingreno
25-08-2003, 09:12
This time with visuals. civ: Romans, dif: emperor

I played "as normal" and tried to be fair and insert the new exploit only when it would not seriously hurt regular development.

The huts too near to rome were thus opened the old way, generating barbs and some maps. I did have a remote piece of land to the north with some huts, and by the time I had 20+ cities and a bunch of warriors soon to become legionaires I found NO reason NOT to send them to the huts.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kingreno/20038259618_exploit1.jpg
53.31KB

the happy stack moved further north to find 50 gold and

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kingreno/2003825978_exploit2.jpg
55.72KB

I am not sure of the odds of finding 2 techs out of 3 huts on emperor but my experience is that odds are very low.[???]
Off course, one should also explore the region around the hut to prevent a map of the region to further increase chances of techs[yeah]

Moonsinger
25-08-2003, 23:46
Kingreno,

In any case, great discovery![goodjob]

OPD
26-08-2003, 00:07
My favourite exploit is setting my capital to a 1 turn build project then when the pop up comes zooming to the city, removing labourers and adding them to the next city along so that that too can build a 1 turn project then doing the same again and again. Useful for building large numbers of warriors if you don't have too many develop tiles.

I've never used this in a MP game but have done in the tourney thing Turner and Stapel started.