PDA

View Full Version : Anarres vs JM #2 ---SPOILER-----

jack merchant
20-08-2003, 17:05
My nearby lands:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200382016325_anarresjack_lands.jpg.

Rome is the perfect settler farm; I'm irrigating both the cow and the wheat so I can work the forest and still get +5 fpt. I just (turn 15) started on BW after pottery so as to move to iron fast, but I forgot to check which other civs are in the game so I may scrap that plan. Once I get my hands on BW though I intend to go min sci on IW and nothing else and teach the AIs the power of my legions. I've already got Veii started on a barracks to crank out the vet warriors.

Puwen
24-08-2003, 19:43
How about an update? [coool]

jack merchant
25-08-2003, 02:35
My strategy is extremely risky, but since against anarres I have nothing to lose, I've decided to give it a shot. I researched pottery at max, and then went for Iron Working at min sci. I haven't tried to keep up (so I'm hopelessly backward at the moment, but am saving up the cash for legion upgrades). Unfortunately, I of course had no iron, so it was time to pay a little visit to my neighbours the Japanese:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200382513321_anarres_jackattack.jpg

Most of the road was constructed before the border expansion, I now have 3 workers along with that stack of 3 archers, two vet warriors and a spear. Kagoshima was taken at the cost of one archer, and (turn 73) iron will be online in 2 turns I think. I've got about enough for 15 upgrades, which should be enough to take over most of Japan and extort all I can from them.

Skyfish
25-08-2003, 09:11
It's a good enough strategy man...*if* your settler farm is churning settlers every 4 or 5 turns non stop during the whole time. Military build up should not go at the cost of early expansion ;)

jack merchant
25-08-2003, 13:10
I'm still slightly ahead of anarres in score iirc, so I don't think that is a problem.

What is however scary is that by about turn 75, anarres reached the middle ages [eek] ! Also, Japan bought 2 allies in (Hermany and China IIRC) who I may run into soon and the Japs themselves have tons of regular swords. This could get interesting :D.

Aggie
25-08-2003, 13:23
75 turns for middle ages is very quick indeed. Normally I'd say that your tech pace is decent when you reach it after 100 turns. Do you have currency? I'd say that it's vital to have it as quickly as possible, to be able to keep up.

jack merchant
25-08-2003, 14:10
No, the only techs I have are BW,IW, alphabet, pottery, CB and writing :)If I can take 2-3 Japanese cities, I should be able to get the followup ones for free. The only snag in the plan is that with the Legions' survivability, I am hoping for a leader for TGL, but Lit isn't around yet.

My lands:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200382513936_AnaJ_lands.jpg

I've got one settler waiting to go somewhere still and will probably get one out of Rome too as I accidentally let it grow to size-7 and it needs 10% higher luxes to keep Rome happy.

jack merchant
26-08-2003, 04:29
Turn 90 or so: Thank heavesn, finally a leader. I rush the Great Library. I also make the mistake of telling anarres I completed it, and he promptly supplies all AIs with all techs, the fucker.
Still, after 12 (count 'em, 12) techs came rolling in, I'm at last even in tech and my no science gambit has paid off.
Now if I could just get the AIs off my back.....

jack merchant
26-08-2003, 04:55
Turn 96: Peace with Japan, in exchange for the (to me immensely valuable worldmap) and a size-1 city. MY Legions need to rest and regroup for a bit, the Germans are pouring on piles of archers and I want to get some markets going with the remaining GA production.
These are my new territories:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200382635437_avsj_newlands.jpg.

I have 4-5 or so Elite legions left after a run of poor combatt luck, but I intend to keep fighting at least someone until I have another leader for the FP.