PDA

View Full Version : I can taste your blood already! (PBEM)

Samildanach
20-08-2003, 00:32
....or is it mine[???]. Any forumites up for a PBEM on Emperor or Diety with GoTM rules ( other rules? ). This will be my first attempt at PBEM so any advice about newbie pitfalls that might screw up games would be welcome.

Ehecatl Atzin
20-08-2003, 06:55
Play Jack Merchant...everyone seems to be beating him up! [lol] ;)

Skyfish
20-08-2003, 08:01
Now EA that only puts a lot of pressure on you to see if YOU can beat him (Jack) ay ? [groucho]

Aggie
20-08-2003, 10:00
Samildanach: Welcome at CDZ! My plate is full, but I'm sure other want to play :D

anarres
20-08-2003, 13:47
We should really write a beginners guide to PBEM, to document the quirks like turn order and auto-move.

Hmm, check this thread (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=507) Samildanach, it's got some quirky stuff in it.

I have a few games finishing, I would be glad to take you on. It is probably best to get 2 or 3 on the go at once if you can.

My MSM is civ3_AT_danwilliamson.net (spam filter....), come online of you can to discuss terms. I've not got ICQ going yet...

Samildanach
20-08-2003, 16:36
Thanks guys- its good to be here. Anarres I don't have an ICQ myself, MSM-microsoft instant messenger? I don't have it either but I guess I should download it as people have been on at me to get for quite a while. As for terms I think that MAs should be a no-no but ROPs are allowed. What about MPPs do we allow them? They amount to the same thing as MAs but come later in the game- I haven't thought it through enough to decide if they are unbalancing or not. Since you are the PBEM vet I'll leave it up to you decide on what other features should or should not be included in order to have a fun game as I really don't know what will fly and whats a lead balloon.
As far as kicking Jacks ass-well I would be delighted to. But I read in CFC OT that he is around 6 foot 6 -I doubt if my short wee legs can reach that high. I may just have to bite him on the buttocks- a moe frightening prospect for both of us.

anarres
20-08-2003, 16:43
Hmm, what timezone are you? I am GMT.

I suggset 'Deity light' = Deity but with 2 settlers for the humans. Pangeas tend to be a good place to start, tactics get messy on islands/continents, and it is harder to balance the maps.

No MA's will be OK, I prefer MPP's, they are mostly defensive in nature.

As to Civs, I think we should either both be industrious or not, unless you want me to be industrious and you not. ;)

Samildanach
20-08-2003, 17:34
I'm GMT as well. Yes panagaea sounds good. Industrious? will I need walls that quickly :D I'm going to check out the spoilers for other games then I'll get back to you on civ characteristics-do we only have one worker on diety light? If so I'll probably go industrious as one of them.

Samildanach
20-08-2003, 20:45
Ok I'll go with the egyptians if that's all right. Hope you like War chariots [}:)]. I'll be sacrificing chickens to the map maker Gods to bless our land with very little jungle.

jack merchant
20-08-2003, 21:02
quote:Originally posted by Samildanach

As far as kicking Jacks ass-well I would be delighted to. But I read in CFC OT that he is around 6 foot 6 -I doubt if my short wee legs can reach that high. I may just have to bite him on the buttocks- a moe frightening prospect for both of us.

[wavey]

I'd be delighted to play you samildanach, but I suspect I need one or two of my current games to finish first. Maybe in two-three weeks ? You'll be allowed to metaphorically kick me wherever you want then [whipped];).

Ehecatl Atzin
20-08-2003, 22:14
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Now EA that only puts a lot of pressure on you to see if YOU can beat him (Jack) ay ? [groucho]

[hammer] We shall see sooner or later :D

Samildanach
20-08-2003, 23:59
EA was that a challenge? Or just sabre rattling. If its a challenge then of course I accept[^]Just name your terms and maybe a second for when things begin to go badly for you [hammer]:D
@ Jack I'll be looking forward to when you have the time to play me in the meantime you may wish to accustom yourself to placing large encyclopaedia type books down the back of your trousers-trust me this will be time well spent[crazyeye]

Cartouche Bee
21-08-2003, 01:32
Samildanach, Jack is in the process of beating me up so maybe we should give it a go, although my encyclodedias come on cd so don't provide much protection. :)

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 02:12
Yes digital encyclopedias offer only the flimsiest of protection from ass whoopings[crazyeye]. But it tells me alot about your character CB that you are willing to do battle with only CDs for armour. You may indeed be a worthy opponent:)I personally never play civ without my trusty copy of War and Peace.

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 03:06
Ok my AIM address is SamildanachCFC@aol.com. I think, having never used it before I assume its just the same as my e-mail. I am in the process of downloading ICQlite so I will be able to give you an ICQ address for those who wish discuss games. I have win 2000 pro apparently it comes with microsoft IM but I haven't found it yet so I will prolly download it. I appreciate that AIm and MSM are incompatible so what do most people use?

jack merchant
21-08-2003, 03:07
My dirty litle secret here of course is that playing me is like wrestling a pig - you both get dirty, and the pig likes it :D.

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 03:17
@ Jack. Shades of deliverance if I'm not mistaken[scared2].I think I can here your banjo Jack...here piggy..here piggy[mad2][love]

Cartouche Bee
21-08-2003, 04:45
k, I had my ecycloCD's iron plated. [evil]

How about I'll be Spain, they have one of the superior UU's of their time. [blush]

I use MSN but I've been told I don't use it enough so don't go by me on that front. :(

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 12:56
Conquistadors are an excellent choice. They will give me a lot of defensive headaches. That's of course assuming your civilisation lives that long[fdevil]. I'm going to set up my own folder to discuss games in so pop in to Samildanachs ALTER OF BLOOD- don't be put off by the title. You will be sacrificial victim No.2 (purely for administrative purposes you understand) after sacrificial victim No.1 (Anarres) in the file Cartouche Bee-Spanish Omelette of Blood[hammer]

jack merchant
21-08-2003, 13:47
Get your own forum quick :). Looking forward to reading about blood ! [fdevil]

anarres
21-08-2003, 14:04
Hmm, what's Industrious and has a fast UU?

I guess that makes me the Ottomans then. [mwaha]

If you can come on MSM from 7pm to midnight GMT my registered email is above, we can then finalise it all...

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 14:58
It has always been thus - young men rushing to war dreaming of valour and glory. Little appreciating the bloody horror that awaits them. Your empire will die - crushed to a mewling exsanguinous pulp beneath the wheels of my War Chariots[evil]
See you at around 7ish :)

Samildanach
21-08-2003, 21:07
Hi Anarres I've got MSN 6 up and running on my comp. But it doesn't recognise your MSM as a valid address( civ3_AT_danwilliamson.net ) Is this right? Mine is Samildanach_CFC@hotmail.com

anarres
21-08-2003, 21:53
I hope you remembered to replace _AT_ with @.....

I am on now, I added you to my list, so when you next come online you should see me. :)