PDA

View Full Version : Jack Merchant - Aggie part 3

Aggie
17-08-2003, 12:49
Unlike the 3rd part of the Godfather, this will be the best version of Aggie - Jack Merchant! I'm sure of that [:p].

We play a continents, easy deity game (two settlers). We made tech stealing extra difficult and also agreed upon limited use of Military Alliances (against a human player only one alliance can exsist every time). I'm Germany and Jack is Spain.

My start (thanks to Skyfish, who made the map!):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003817124845_AJstart.jpg
16.09KB

jack merchant
17-08-2003, 12:51
Well, here's my start again:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200381712514_AJ3_start.jpg
13.62KB

Aggie
28-08-2003, 16:31
Turn 92:

The world map. Jack beat me to it, but he didn't take full advantage (he couldn't know). So I have the map and a couple of techs as well:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003828163111_AgJM92map.jpg
8.43KB

Aggie
15-09-2003, 08:33
Turn 200:

We didn't post that much in this open thread [:o]. Meanwhile we both entered the Modern Age, it's 850 AD now. Jack, how the heck did you get in the modern age this fast? [thumbsup]

Skyfish
15-09-2003, 11:18
Wow ! That's nice and fast....must have been very few wars ;)

Lt. Killer M
15-09-2003, 11:25
or lotsa wars, Sky, pointy stick is still the best way to learn secrets.....;)

Aggie
15-09-2003, 11:32
I was in three wars up to now. Two vs India, who didn't play a role in the tech research and one vs Persia, but wenever really had a fight (they wanted a tribute, I declined...7 turns later we have peace again).

Jack was at war with Persia just recently, but the Ottomans and Greeks still managed to research very fast. And remember that we have 4 scientific civs: Germany (me), Greece, Persia and Ottomans. And four commercial civs: Spain (Jack), India, France, Greece.

The AI didn't have any wars at all for a long time!!! Only now the world ganged up against India.

jack merchant
15-09-2003, 12:39
I threw everything but the kitchen sink at getting into the modern age, meticulously micromanaging everything under the sun, selling off all non-essential infrastructure, disbanding a whole lot of military to speed up construction of revenue-increasing improvements. When those were done, I put all cities on wealth (which means a good amount of money in your GA). Finally, since Aggie set up the entire planet against India, I was able to screw them over for about 200gpt without it affecting my ability to buy tech just yet.
After all, there's only one tech in the MA that's really interesting [evil]. Think 640gpt and 500 gold will do the trick ?

We await Aggie's turn for the outcome.........

Aggie
15-09-2003, 13:43
Hmmm, sounds interesting [eek].

Aggie
15-09-2003, 16:05
Turn 201:

I have it, despite Jack's previous post:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200391516310_AJ201UN.jpg
44.17KB

But I am surprised about Joan in the vote. How did SHE get there? [:o]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200391516325_AJ201thevote.jpg
17.27KB

jack merchant
15-09-2003, 16:28
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/2003915162623_AJ_UN.jpg

Inconclusive !

But Aggie can survive that, while I broke my rep, disbanded all my artillery and several infantry too, and set all my cities to GA-enhanced wealth production, meaning I would have gone bankrupt the second my GA was over.

I concede, and congratulate Aggie on the win [goodjob]

Aggie
15-09-2003, 16:51
Thanks Jack. I was amazed that you managed to get Fission. That really took me by surprise, but luckily you were one turn too late. I had 2700 gpt and +10000 gold, so it's fair to say that I could have a massive army sailing towrads you very quickly.

anarres
15-09-2003, 16:59
Hmm, it seems the world would prefer Joan! [rotfl]

Congrats Aggie! [drunk][stoned]

Aggie
16-09-2003, 11:53
In hindsight I made an enormous blunder to go for the vote! Jack gambled and rightfully tried to get the UN (assuming that he wouldn't be in without it), but I COULD have known that he had to dig deep to get it and that he would be in trouble after the GA. ICBM's were only 2 techs away for me... I guess that a 860AD UN victory was too appealing to avoid.

Lt. Killer M
16-09-2003, 12:05
congrats, aggie!

Kemal
16-09-2003, 12:51
Congrats and very well done Aggie, a possible UN victory in 860 AD is most impressive!

Aggie
16-09-2003, 13:00
Thanks Kemal. This was done on deity with two settlers and techs stealing prices twice as high as normal. With four scientific civs and four commercial ones. I don't think that the two settlers and the higher tech steal prices would be a major influence on the early date. The AI has two settlers as well and the humans always trail early on.

I don't know if Skyfish indeed tweaked the AI and made them less aggresive. We almost had no wars, so that DID increase the tech speed. Also my luck regarding free techs helped a lot.

I decided to have the 860 AD vote as SP game. I won it and got a total of 9000 points. That would be my record, but a tweaked game isn't logged in the HoF.

Aggie
18-09-2003, 21:25
Skyfish, now that the game is over...could you tell us what you changed except from steal prices? One thing is for sure: the tech speed was absurd and the AI very peaceful.

Skyfish
18-09-2003, 22:07
I set the agression level of the AIs to 1, to give a faster game but also to avoid the bad luck of the Erikkian Aggian game where I was disatisfied with my balance of the game...One could say this "should" have been the Space Race...
Also here I blundered on having you too close to the French-Indian island... [cry]
I just never get it right [aargh] [wallbash]

Aggie
18-09-2003, 22:10
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Also here I blundered on having you too close to the French-Indian island... [cry]
I just never get it right [aargh] [wallbash]

I don't think that THAT was a deciding factor. Jack managed to meet my continent first and trade contacts and techs.

Skyfish
18-09-2003, 22:16
So did you like the map ? [blush]
I purely ask this for "improving" purposes...

Aggie
18-09-2003, 22:19
I loved it! But who am I to complain after a thrilling tech race :). Maybe Jack has pointers, but for me the increased tech prices were a success, not only because I was in front.

Skyfish
18-09-2003, 22:30
steal prices you mean yes...
Thanks a lot, will ask Jack ;)

Lt. Killer M
19-09-2003, 09:05
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

I decided to have the 860 AD vote as SP game. I won it and got a total of 9000 points. That would be my record, but a tweaked game isn't logged in the HoF.

wrong, buddy! K8 was clear over 9000 ;) OK, it was an SG, but you had a [b]huge]/b] part in the success.

btw, I have eliminated another three civs in it :p

Aggie
19-09-2003, 09:35
You are right Killer. That score was indeed a bit higher. But that also didn't make the Hof :(

jack merchant
19-09-2003, 11:26
The map was very nice Sky, although it was a good thing Aggie told me early on that he had contact with 4 AI civs as otherwise I might not have gone for the suicide galley (which, quite irrationally I know, find to be rather overpowered & exploitative). Also, despite me grabbing as much land as I think was ultimately possible, Aggie grabbed more. Or that may just have seemed that way because of the tightly spaced RCP-ring around his FP.

The one thing I really didn't like was the resetting of the agression levels. My play usually depends on assumptions about the AI's behaviour, and in this case all those turned out to be totally false. For instance, I kept my Southern border fortified more strongly than I otherwise would have, and also made several attempts to get the Ottomans to declare war on me through sabotage and of course, they didn't bite.
If I'd known that this would be a pure builder game I wouldn't have signed up for it. On the bright side, Aggie now really owes me a game where all the AIs have their agression level set to 5 :D.

Aggie
19-09-2003, 11:39
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

Also, despite me grabbing as much land as I think was ultimately possible, Aggie grabbed more. Or that may just have seemed that way because of the tightly spaced RCP-ring around his FP.
I had more land, but I maybe even had a more agressive landgrab phase than you. At one point most of my cities produced settlers.

The one thing I really didn't like was the resetting of the agression levels.
True, it was in my benefit, but it would have been better to be informed about it.

If I'd known that this would be a pure builder game I wouldn't have signed up for it. For me it is the opposite. I like a real builder game for a change and it made me realise that we have other ways to win, even in PBEM

On the bright side, Aggie now really owes me a game where all the AIs have their agression level set to 5 :D.
Then I first have to perform a 'Heintje Davids' act. :)

Skyfish
19-09-2003, 14:59
Since none of you knew about the mod i dont think it favoured either of you...however point taken on not informing you even though i did leave some indication early on in diff threads...
Sorry about that I understand it disturbed your play style Jack...

jack merchant
19-09-2003, 15:01
Hehe - I just hate it when the AIs don't react as expected.......

Skyfish
19-09-2003, 15:03
Well I love to have to improvise ! :D

Aggie
19-09-2003, 15:14
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Well I love to have to improvise ! :D

Yup, me too. I love to be surprised by the game. All the standard situations have been played to death :D

jack merchant
19-09-2003, 15:35
I love to improvise too, but my point is that in this case, we didn't know that we had to improvise .

Aggie
20-09-2003, 19:35
I played on from two turns before our PBEM ended to go for an early space race win. I got it in 1110 AD :D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003920193510_AJ1110ADspace.JPG
156.98KB

Skyfish
20-09-2003, 20:06
Some people really got time on their hands... ;)