Shabbaman
16-03-2003, 12:58
Where's Aggie? Is he coming here to spam up our newbie thread? LOL

ERIKK
16-03-2003, 13:27
He will be here soon I guess...

col
16-03-2003, 17:43
Game created and sent to Erikk for turn 1. Just load and play.

Aggie
17-03-2003, 07:52
My name is mentioned in a thread that I'm not allowed to see.... Oh, well, just this once then. ERIKK didn't reveal his strategy yet :) Sorry Shabba, but I didn't see a newbie thread yet. :( But I'm happy to spam something else [:p]

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 12:33
We played till turn 30 last evening!

I have 2 cities now and will have finished Iron Working this turn. I have met Arabia and China and will be able to trade with both of them. So far I have gained Pottery and Ceremonail Burial in trade. Mysticism, the Wheel and Warrior Code I must try to get with my Iron Working.

I have been bordered by barb warriors after I popped a hut. I had to settle somewhere else than intended. I have seen Aggie location when he sent me the wrong save (turn 25 or so). My lands seem better than his. It looks like I have a peninsula for my own with lots of land to cover (like in my game against anarres). I will post a screenie this evevning I hope.

Shabbaman
18-03-2003, 13:12
What civ are you playing? Any iron in sight?

anarres
18-03-2003, 14:01
Screw iron, get The Wheel quick!

Shabbaman
18-03-2003, 14:21
Well, since he already got iron working... It depends on playing style I think. I always check for iron to see if it's good enough to continue the game, but that doesn't work in mp obviously.

If you want for horsemen rush...

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 14:27
My civ is PERSIA so screw iron sounds A BIT odd here...

And I dont have it YET but the next turn! Then I will try to trade it for The Wheel (among others).

Shabbaman
18-03-2003, 14:40
Hmmm, I love the sound of slaughter in the morning? What civ is Aggie? If he plays a 'slow' builder game, you could go for a immortal gambit, and clear the board of ai players before he knows what's happening. Immortals rule.

anarres
18-03-2003, 14:49
OK, I didn't realise you were Persia.

ERIKK, do you not think you need a break from them? I can't stand playing the same civ 2 games in a row...

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 14:49
Aggie is Egypt. I dont know what type of player he is. He isn't near I guess. In 20 more turns I will know my surroundings better. I must send out more warriors for exploring.

Shabbaman
18-03-2003, 15:13
Did you guys had 'culturally linked starting positions' on? 'Cause you know what that means...

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 15:31
I dont know, Col set up the game! I liked playing Persia last time and I am green this time (* not blue :) )

Shabbaman
18-03-2003, 15:35
Hm. Okay, post pics asap, so we know what we're talking about. Does Aggie have a spoiler?

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 16:02
tonight :D

Aggie not yet, he is a member though..

col
18-03-2003, 16:30
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Did you guys had 'culturally linked starting positions' on? 'Cause you know what that means...

hehe - no the starts are NOT culturally linked. I always make sure there is some distance between human civs. I dont think it makes for a good game to be rushed by your neighbour in the first few centuries although I guess that is just a personal preference. I think longer games are more interesting for all concerned.

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 19:11
weg weg weg!

ERIKK
18-03-2003, 21:25
Turn 52:

I am being harassed by barb warriors. popped 6 huts: 4 barbs 2 emptey. I lost one of my scout warriors... :(

This map sucks btw! Very strange map AFAIK!

anarres
19-03-2003, 01:48
The map seems OK to me, what is wierd about it?

ERIKK
19-03-2003, 08:30
It is civ2-like map with lots on landbridges etc etc..

Shabbaman
19-03-2003, 08:59
Erik, enlarge and post the minimap with boundaries. This does look like a good starting position. Settle to the south, the grassland?

ERIKK
19-03-2003, 09:13
The landtype is very divers all over the map. My starting location is quite good.

The (world-)map is Civ2-ish from what I have scouted so far... I dont know if I will be able to post a minimapo soon.

I met the Arabs, the Chinese and the Japanese. I think I was about to meet another civ when my nothern scout was killed by a barb.

ERIKK
19-03-2003, 17:42
eretert4trt

Lt. Killer M
19-03-2003, 18:54
not too bad, considering aggie has only manage to find grey (as his pics do not work atm) LOL

ERIKK: especially the spread-around mountains make me think of Civ2, too.

col
20-03-2003, 19:20
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

Turn 52:

This map sucks btw! Very strange map AFAIK!

:(

ERIKK
20-03-2003, 19:38
I didn't mean it that way Col. I meant that I had to walk from water to landbridge to water. That was a bit frustrating. I think it will be a challange playing on this map!

ERIKK
20-03-2003, 22:21
turn 60, researched writing. Embassy in China, Japan and Celts. Sold writing to Japanese for 70 gold. The rest has it allready.

Contact with Aztecs or Rome costs 40 gold.

Deal with Egypt (they bought contact with us): writing for contact with Aztecs and Rome + 30 gold later.

turn 61: embassy with Aztecs (60 gold, rome was 64 gold). Seems I am far away from the rest of the world (again!). Egypt is (I think) in the middle of the AI's (that is except Arabia and me).

Arabia and me are on the left side of the map, all other are on the right side of the map.

ERIKK
21-03-2003, 12:19
turn 64: Embassy in Rome. I think I can can pinpoint the location of Egypt. I think they are surrounded by AI's... I will post a new map later this day...

Got embassys in most countries (total 5). Not in:
- Egypt (aggie, no need to buy it, maybe he buys one)
- Arabia (gonna be my first AI-victem, would be a waste of money. I have allready been threathened by these bastards)

I bought them right now as I had the money and they are still cheap in the early years...

ERIKK
21-03-2003, 21:32
Turn 75: researched Map Making in the same turn as some of the AI's :(
But still did some nice map trading, netting me:
- 175 gold
- two Roman workers
- the two techs I didn't had yet (Polytheism and Mathematics)
- the entire world map except a small piece of Egypt

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/75map.jpg

ERIKK
23-03-2003, 15:39
turn 113

Killer deal:

(I researched republic and got after trading monotheism!)

- setting up the AI's against the Egyptains netted me 200 gold, a worker and 14 gold p/t and 3 techs and the certainty that during my anarchy towards republic I wouldnt be attacked. (I used republic and monotheism)
- see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=866662#post866662 for more info!

anarres
23-03-2003, 16:10
You evil, evil man! [:o]

At least it looks like you timed it right (umlike me!). :)

ERIKK
23-03-2003, 21:15
Turn 128: New Deal!

Traded Engineering around:
Japan: Feudalism + WM + 39 gpt + 119 gold
Celts: WM + 20 gpt + 94 gold
China: WM + 18 gpt + 167 gold
Arabia: WM + 13 gpt + no gold

Rome and Aztecs had nothing to offer.

Hurried 5 libraries in border towns, set researching 100%, running +36 gpt, Invention in 8 turns!

ERIKK
24-03-2003, 21:29
Turn 136

I am the research leader. At the moment I run +50gpt at 100%. In every 7 turns I have a new sell round. Netting me more money to rush Courthouses and stuff. The core cities that have a library, temple and barracks are now producing pikes, I will move warriors around for upgrading to immortals. When my army is big enough I plan to attack the Arabs or the Chinese...

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/erik.jpg

ERIKK
27-03-2003, 09:51
Hello readers!

I have made some changes in my strategy. I was planning to attack the Arabians build realised that that would be very costly as they are big and strong and have a knight UU. Theregore I will attack the Chinese who are in war with almost everybody at the moment. I need my golden age and a leader for the FP.

I have hurried Courthouses in almost all cities now. In three or 4 turns I will attack. Then they have to be ready beacuse we do not want to lose money on corruption during the GA if we can prevent it. I have traded Gunpowder around but got only 30 gpt and 150 gold or so (and 1 lux). The AI's are dry on money at the moment. I am recieving at all I guess. I just traded Aggie gunpowder for 25 g/p/t. I do not know if he has some techs (upper half). If so, then he is the techs leader atm. and he might be drying the AI's too... (?) I dont care for now. I will catch up later anyway.

The strategy change includes an alliace with the Araibans. We do not want aggie turn them on me while they have troops in our territory (as they do now). I will have to bind them to me (I do now with gpt and lux deals). Maybe I have to make them gracious by giving them money... But not the oncoming 20 turns when aggie and me have a tech/gpt/peace deal.

Once I have a leader I will place the FP somewhere in the right and will colonize the open spots on the right side. I will take some lands on the bridge (chokepoint). If no leader appears I will move on towards Beijng which has the Great Library and fight until I get one!

Any comments please???

anarres
27-03-2003, 10:20
If you are going for the Great Library and some AI have top branch techs, make sure to keep on the lower branch. If Aggie trades anything around you will automatically get it. If this means 0% research after Chemistry then even better, you can get some gold.

You are worried about the strength of the Arabs, but their land is much more useful to you, and also more dangerous if you leave it. Aggie can pay the Arabs to attack you when you are extended with the Chinese, and you must obviously be ready for this. Is there a reason that China is less of a threat with Riders?

Shabbaman
27-03-2003, 10:28
Being an expert on the Arabs, I can assure you that you don't have to fear for their UU. I play them a lot, but the Ansars aren't that great. Well, they are superb, since they have added movement, but the AI doesn't really know how to handle that.
Build roads all over, and take them out. But the best option might be to pick on the chinese first, and then build muskets. Then, roll over Arabia.

col
27-03-2003, 10:30
I say build ships and sail across the inner sea - no-one will expect that!

ERIKK
27-03-2003, 10:54
I was thinking about:
- attacking China (aggie has aliances with all AI civs against China so no rep hit. Sign some alliances, earn something with it), getting my GA.
- get a leader for FP.
- use GA for building marketplaces.
- I have 20 turn peacedeal with aggie. I will be save while attacking the Chinese.
- attack Arabians with Cavalry later in the game if needed. Or maybe I can use them as my ally later in the game???

I do not know what the Egyptians are up to. I expect them to get into a war against the Celts or the Japanese. Allthough aggie seems the peacefull builder type...

Shabbaman
27-03-2003, 10:57
quote:Originally posted by col

I say build ships and sail across the inner sea - no-one will expect that!

Yeah! Pillage Aggie's capital! That's something he won't expect!

ERIKK
27-03-2003, 11:38
Sailing the middle sea will not be possible for a millenia, I first need a FP in that neighbourhood!

ERIKK
27-03-2003, 11:54
WHAT SHOULD BE MY LONG TERM OBJECTIVE?

- Should I go for war? Again the two humans are too far away for early combat.
- Aggie has a lot of culture, he might try that one...
- Domination. This is a possiblity foor both players.
- Spaceship. A last resort.

What do you think? I really dont know what it is gonna be...

ERIKK
27-03-2003, 12:03
quote:Originally posted by anarres

You are worried about the strength of the Arabs, but their land is much more useful to you, and also more dangerous if you leave it. Aggie can pay the Arabs to attack you when you are extended with the Chinese, and you must obviously be ready for this. Is there a reason that China is less of a threat with Riders?

Chinese are in war with Japs and Celts and are thus fighting a two front war when I attack them from the NW. Their source of iron is a frontier city at the moment. They might lose that to the Celts or Japs in the coming turns.

ERIKK
28-03-2003, 18:16
Turn 150: declared war on China, pulled in the Arabs for some money and got half of it back in an alliance with the Celts who already were at war with the Chinese.
Turn 151: captured a Chinese city. Gained two elite immortals!

ERIKK
28-03-2003, 19:56
Turn 154:

researched chemistry and traded it around netting me theology, 60 g/p/t and 500 gold from 3 civs, two others were dry and I saw to my very BIG surprise that aggie didn't have chemistry and theology. So he didn't went the upper level techs and didn't do any research at all I suppose. Getting the Great LibraryHe isn't rushing units either but is obviously culture pushing the Celts and Japs...

Meanwhile I am in my GA and rushed the last Courthouses. All other cities have libraries etc etc and are now building marketplaces pretty fast!

I am running over the Chinese ATM. My (small) attack force is about 15 immortals, 5 pikes, 7 muskets and workers building roads. I have 4 elite units now, of which two immortals... Waiting for the great leader to appear...

ha ha!!!
just traded chemistry to aggie for 30gpt and 75 lump sum! this comes upon the 25 gpt deal I already had with him. He says (thinks) I dont have tradepartners (thats why I am trading with him) so I assume he is drying the AI's too... But with what???

I guess he is saving money for a massive upgrade to cavalry and then strike...

No others techs are available so most of the civs are even in tech except the Aztecs, Chinese, Japs and Egyptians (aggie) who miss one.

ERIKK
28-03-2003, 20:49
Turn 156:

Darius emerged in a battle. I lost two immortals but that cant spoil the day ;)
In two turns the FP will be build in a former Chinese city. I will remain at war but I fear I will not be strong enough to wipe out the Chinese which wasnt my goal anyway. Shanghai has spices but is to near to Beijng and will probably revolt back. I gues I will stay fighting trying to get another leader and meanwhile wait for the alliances to end and positioning my units again along the Arab and Chinese borders...

(I took 3 Chionese cities in the landbridge and build 3 more around my soon-to-be second capital!)

ERIKK
28-03-2003, 22:46
turn 161:

Cyrrus appeared! He will rush Leonardo's ASAP!

ERIKK
28-03-2003, 23:55
(UN-)Lucky me!

In turn 162 I rush Leonardo's with a leader. In turn 163 the governour switched the shields to cathedral because the Chinese built Leo's. The governour could have chosen two other wonders (Bachs for example, also one I would liked to have...) But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Of course you pick a cathedral instead!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

Now I have to conquer Beijng to get Leo's... [V]

anarres
29-03-2003, 01:46
Wow, didn't you get the chance to change it yourself? That really sucks...

ERIKK
29-03-2003, 10:01
Nope, the shields were already gone. I guess it has to do with the "never build wonders" that is activated automaticly.

ERIKK
30-03-2003, 17:42
turn 169:

The siege of Beijng!

Persian forces failed to take Beijng as the city was stuffed with too many defenders. At least half of the defending force has been destroyed. The remaing Persian troops have taken defensive positions around the town waiting for Arabian reinforces too arrive...

Meanwhile the homeland is still building up its cities. The last 19 turns of golden age have been good to us. We managed to build and hurry lots of improvements and researched techs in 4 turns, still gaining money due to lucrative contracts with our allies.

ERIKK
03-04-2003, 10:39
turn 195

See http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47686&pagenumber=2

I am putting some pressure on Aggie because I dont want the same thing to happen as in the game against annares. I dont want him to own half of the continent!!!

This time I will not hold back from breaking our treaty. He is abusing our treaty to gain territory and weakening the Ai's. Plan to: If he attacks the Romans I will attack him and buy in the other Ai's with me.

But what do you guys think:
- is this smart or does it go too far...
- should I join the butchering party and take some Aztecs towns too?

2 turns to Newton, 4 to Navigation and 4 to Magnetism: 10 turns.
Then I get Nationalism (I hope Railroad) and 4 to 6 turns to another tech...

I am now Democracy and Psysics ahead of Aggie. But I fear Aggie will have nationalism before 216. So he can sign a MPP with the Arabs. Then we enter the same stalemate as agianst anarres. So I hope the Arabs take a large chunck out of the Aztecs and I think I should attack the Aztecs too...

Shabbaman
03-04-2003, 10:49

(UN-)Lucky me!

In turn 162 I rush Leonardo's with a leader. In turn 163 the governour switched the shields to cathedral because the Chinese built Leo's. The governour could have chosen two other wonders (Bachs for example, also one I would liked to have...) But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Of course you pick a cathedral instead!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

Now I have to conquer Beijng to get Leo's... [V]

That is the dumbest mistake I've heard ever!

Now, over to some constructive comment. Your choice is between picking on Aggie or picking on Monty.
Picking on Aggie is an interesting option, since his expeditionary force is abroad. Beware of his counterstrike though: make it worth the blood, so only wager this if you can hit him very, very hard. Don't forget your defences, and, since I doubt you can take him down fully, aim for damage and disruption than for conquest.
Picking on Monty, well, what can you gain with it? If you do, Aggie will probably offer you to split his territory. That way, all you're actually doing is making it easier for Aggie to wage war. If you go in, plan your attacks that you're in Aggies way.

Aren't there other options?

Shabbaman
03-04-2003, 10:51
Oh, sorry Erik, I misread your 'mistake'. This isn't your fault, it just sucks. This doesn't happen in single player, since your build phase is always before that of the AI. This sucks.

Man, this sucks big time!

anarres
03-04-2003, 13:25
Gonna break a human-human treaty ERIKK! [:o]

As long as you don't mind the rep hit... ;)

ERIKK
03-04-2003, 13:26
Aggie wants to talk about it Friday. But I am sure he will think twice about sending all his units to the Aztecs. Hopefully the Romans and Arabs Quickly take the Aztec cities...

I consider my wave-making succesfull at this point! :evil:

ERIKK
03-04-2003, 13:29
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Gonna break a human-human treaty ERIKK! [:o]

As long as you don't mind the rep hit... ;)
Not again (another domination-loss) please!!!

ERIKK
03-04-2003, 18:30
I have 33 foreign workers and 14 native workers. Aggie has 12 foreign workers. He seems to lag in his land development or he doesnt trade his map at all with the AI.

Screenpics:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/f11.jpg

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/f3.jpg

ERIKK
04-04-2003, 19:32
Turn 199:

- some turns ago I switched all to barracks, muskets etc etc
- told aggie that I would MPP with the Arabs and that if he attacks we would be at war!

ERIKK
06-04-2003, 17:20
Turn 223:

Tech:
- Aggie has at least Industrialization over me, maybe more. I have Navigation, Free Artistry, Medicine, Electricity, Scientific Method and Sanitation over him.

Wonders:
- ToE in 4 turns, Newton in 1 turn, Shakespeare in 6 turns but will swith to Hoover after ToE is build.

Military:
- all parties are averange to each other.

Lands:
- aggie has more lands but much less developed than mine

Cities:
- I rule on population but aggie has more cities, but those cities are less developed. Much of his cities lack an aquaduct for instance while I only have 2 cities with pop < 6. Those two (former chinese cities) were worker factories untill 5 turns ago.

Culture:
- aggie leads but I am getting close

Money/Propduction:
- got more prod, gnp, annual income, man. goods.

Happiness:
- aggie and me switch places here. At the moment I am #1

ERIKK
07-04-2003, 08:45
I forgot to mention that I have build:
- Forbidden Palace (leader)
- Adam Smiths Trading Company
- Iron Works (in a city with 6 hills and 1 mountain in it's radius!!!)

And from the Chinese:
- Colossus
- Great Library
- Leonardo's Workshop

Soon ToE, Hoover and Newton will be added.

Lt. Killer M
07-04-2003, 10:00
going nively.....

ERIKK
11-04-2003, 08:56
Great!

I have signed trade embargo's with the Romans and Arabs against Aggie!!! He also has no MMP with Arabia anymore! He is being isolated more and more, every turn...

In military all civs are still equal but I will have infantry in 3 turns (TeO in 1 so I will switch to Atomic Theory -> Electronics first)!!!

ERIKK
12-04-2003, 17:11
Turn 236:

Currently finished with railroading and deforresting the lands and adding workers to cities (10+ with 14+ size) and rushing the rest of the hospitals!

Aggie has still not improved all his lands and has half of his roads not railed.

I have build Shakespeare, ToE and Newton. Currently building Hoover and will start Battlefield Medicine and Universal Sufferage soon.

Advisors:
- RoP and MPP with Arabia and Rome.
- Trade Embargo with Arabia and Rome against Egypt (12 turns).
- Strong compared to Rome, average compared to Arabia and Egypt.
- Nearing cultral power compared to Egypt (the leader)

anarres
12-04-2003, 17:31
So what are your plans? Going to get the jump on Aggie with tanks for going to go for the space race?

ERIKK
12-04-2003, 17:52
I plan a jump when I have enough tanks. I am convinced I will win a space race but feel much more confidend with a blitzkrieg right in his core lands with tanks. Maybe he will end the game then.

DrAlimentado
12-04-2003, 18:18
all chant together "blitzkrieg, blitzkrieg, blitzkrieg" :D

if your strong enough (which you are/will be by the sound of it) then crush him I say!

(it's more fun for spectators anyway :))

ERIKK
13-04-2003, 10:57
turn 244:

Aggie declared war on me but did not invade my lands. He wants to stay at war with the effect that MPP's will not be pronlonged by the AI's (I think). He says he did not do it because of mobilization.

Anyway, in 7 turns I will have Universal Sufferage so IMO aggie will suffer more as a democracy. And I was up on building infantry now that all other improvements were build...

ERIKK
13-04-2003, 17:41
turn 249:

Aggie made me declare war on the Romans by attacking the Romans with who he had a MPP. Arabia had to declare war too (MPP with Aggie), drawing me (MPP with Arabia) in... I am now at war with Egypt and Rome without making any agressive move. [:o]

Our map maker has made a small adjustment to the map... [cool]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/200341317373_colmap249.jpg
15.58KB

col
13-04-2003, 19:17
Hehe - took you long enough to find it!

anarres
13-04-2003, 19:22
[lol]

ProPain
14-04-2003, 11:02
Don't get your hopes up in de war weariness department. WW won't be a factor in MP like in single player. In my game against Kemal, he switched to democracy during war with the zulus and didn't suffer a bit from it as far as I could see. Also I played a mp-game on my LAN 2 weeks ago. I declared war in democracy and was at war for hours IRL time, say maybe a millenium in game time. War weariness didn't seem to affect me at all, I had some lux but not much and some marketplaces but not everywhere.

So, don't count on war weariness and I would seriously consider being something else instead of universal suffrage.

anarres
14-04-2003, 13:28
WW can effect you!!!

I got 27% WW in 5 turns when I MPP and RoP raped the Ottomans as a democracy!

ERIKK
14-04-2003, 22:41
Aggie is in war with the Arabs! [:o]

3 turns to tanks. If he is in time for domination I will be very agry....

I have split up my forces. The northern ones will protect the northern Arabs cities. My southern forces will protect the southern Arab cities. I tried to take out a fortified Egyptian infantry with cavalry but that is useless. That will happen to Aggie too when he attacks my forces...

The Arabs must have some infantry by now...

Well, lets hope so.

Goddamnid!!! [mad]

digger760
15-04-2003, 10:34
I hav'nt read all this one Erikk but it looks very similar to the game vs Anarres, where you kept the ottomans as friends.

ERIKK
15-04-2003, 10:44
Yeah, I am experiencing a major deja vu at the moment. This time I will fight the human player though. If aggie doesnt capture to much cities these 3 turns, I will crush him with tanks!

ERIKK
16-04-2003, 20:40
Large war update at civfanatics!!!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=920550#post920550

anarres
16-04-2003, 21:44
What are your invasion plans ERIKK?

ERIKK
16-04-2003, 22:10
I would have invaded the south with approx 25 tanks that would be operational turn 260. Pick of their small packs of units with attillery and tanks.

But it is over, aggie has surrendered turn 259.

col
16-04-2003, 22:20
Surrendered?????

Ok so Aggie had a major setback in losing his artillery but it didnt seem like the game was over from a spectator's perspective!

ERIKK
16-04-2003, 22:29
He will post the F3 and F12.

I am outproducing him on tanks/infantry and otherwise will have the UN before him... Domination will be out of the question for him as I have more pop.

Aggie
16-04-2003, 22:38
Col, it was over. I lost half of my military power in that one turn and I'm waaay back in production. I was lucky the cavs are the strongest attacking unit for such a long time. Otherwise it would have been over sooner.

Appearance can fool you. The map looked to be in my favour, but size doesn't mather they say. Look at my spoiler thread. It knew about 20 turns ago that it would end like this. I could only hope for a mistake from ERIKK. Sadly I made the mistake.

Great job ERIKK.

col
16-04-2003, 22:53
Its never over until its over - consolidate and build pop as fast as possible. Try to sneak a dom victory. Tanks against infantry can be slow going. Build a defensive line on the mountains.

You may have had a losing position but Erikk hadnt won it yet!

Aggie
16-04-2003, 22:57

You may have had a losing position but Erikk hadnt won it yet!

Col, you are right. ERIKK would have to fight a fierce battle. But I didn't have the population for a domination win. Also ERIKK defended the Arabs very well. He had 120 infantry, so I could do nothing with my, say, 15 tanks. UN was due in 12 turns. Within that time I wouldn't be able to win domination or grab the UN. It was a question of time and it got tedious for me in the end (last three turns).

Lt. Killer M
17-04-2003, 08:18
col, I agree with aggie: there was no way he could win. Let us even assume he manages to draw it all out and avoid a spacerace (i.e. leader rushing and destroying appolo - will that help?) - he will lose on points then!

Erik: congrats :thumbsup:

aggie: well played! Now you have a decided advantage over me: you have been throught hat part of aPBEM while all my games ended or are stuck in late Middle Ages ;)

col
17-04-2003, 08:36
I wasnt disputing for a moment that Aggie was in a losing position. I guess as a spectator it would have been nice to see how that game might end. I used to play chess pretty seriously once and there is a question of timing as to when to resign a game. You know you're losing for a long time but there's a chance your opponent may make a mistake - or you may get lucky. Normally you resign a few moves before the actual end of the game - but the better the players the earlier they tend to resign. So I guess an early resignation is a form of compliment!

Aggie
17-04-2003, 08:44
Col, I also thought about chess just before resigning. Big difference is that chess moves may take 5 minutes, while we were talking about 45 minutes per turn per person at this stage of our game. Playing five turns would actually mean 8 hours (three days?). ERIKK's tactic would be pretty straight forward. Break the defense in my cities close to him with his 30 tanks. And then conquer city by city.

I really think it's a shame that we didn't get to the battle stage. I would have loved a good war.

ERIKK
17-04-2003, 08:56
Yeah, at a certain moment you have to chosse between continueing a (probably lost) game or start up a new one...

Aggie
17-04-2003, 09:01

Yeah, at a certain moment you have to chosse between continueing a (probably lost) game or start up a new one...

Let's be clear here: I didn't resign because I would probably lose. I resigned because it was certain considering the opponent I had. [thumbsup]

col
17-04-2003, 11:43
Fair enough - but maybe there is a case for playing it out for the benefit and education of the spectators. Imagine if in a big football game one side just walked off when they were losing and it was clear they couldnt win. Everyone likes to see someone go down fighting and its clear that you made your bid for victory.

I resigned against Meli in a hopeless position - but not before I gave him a bloody nose in Preston... ;)

Aggie
17-04-2003, 11:56

I resigned against Meli in a hopeless position - but not before I gave him a bloody nose in Preston... ;)

Actually I asked ERIKK to play a few turns more. He didn't like the idea. Then I thought about it for a while and decided to resign... I agree with you Col. It would have been interesting.

So if we have a 1 vs 1 we will continue until the bitter end ? :)

col
17-04-2003, 14:16
Well at least kick me a few times when I'm down.