yndy
14-08-2003, 18:24
We're now at turn 30. The only thing to report is:

29: glimpse of a purple civ.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/20038142050_anarres1.jpg
38.27KB

yndy
15-08-2003, 20:30
Turn 30 something. Contact with India. Trade Masonry for two workers. Found Canton near the cow. Start on another settler in Shangai.

Edit: Name of cities. Building settler not warrior. Two more turns played. A barb approaches my undefended cities and workers but then leaves. Probably had more important things to do.

yndy
17-08-2003, 17:09
Turn 37: I also built Nanking and I'm working on a Granary in Canton now. I'm desperately low on warriors and workers and Shanghai revolted once.

yndy
19-08-2003, 16:49
Turn 40+. Like I wrote in the open thread I met annares. His warrior was fortified on the other side of a strait as he saw the border of an Indian town. But India never sent a unit on its shore.

I tried to convince annares to trade a lot with me, including the wheel, which India lacks and a contact of his. He refused on the grounds that I don't own the tech I offer (alphabet, writing). I bought Alphabet next turn and asked for the wheel, offering two techs. annares refused and instead bought alphabet (cheaper as I had it). He refused any subsequent trading.

I don't really like this as he can get contact with India anytime an Indian worker or warrior moves to the tiles on the coast. If he manages to do that I'm in big trouble as he will have a middle man position and keeps me out of the loop in the same time.

*eager to see what happens next*

ERIKK
19-08-2003, 16:52
hmmm..., sounds like you might be fucked indeed...

Will you post any overview maps please?

yndy
21-08-2003, 17:57
Update

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/2003821175539_annares2.JPG
79.16*KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/2003821175644_annares3.jpg
64.79*KB

I circled with red the point annares warrior guards and with green the tile he can see.

yndy
14-09-2003, 06:50
Turn 61: annares and I managed to make a deal after long negotiations and whining on both parties. He sent word that the guys who told me he's a tough negotiator are assholes and even worst. :).

The deal was that we shared contacts and he threw writing for my warrior code. He managed to research mathematics in 18 turns and sold it to both AIs (I didn't wanted it). I let him understand that I have another monopoly contact that I'm not going to share and he bought it. The fact is that I'm seriously behind tech-wise and only a map trade would pull me out.

I'm building a tight ring around my palace but it's going slow. On the other hand there's plenty of land to settle between me and India.

I'm planning to open an embassy with Carthage to see how they get along on the other continent. I would even consider an embassy with annares now that we know that stealing is pretty efficient.

yndy
26-10-2003, 05:10
Since annares wrote something, I though I'll give you my side of the story as well. The game is progressing slow and it's my fault basically.

I got only a dozen of coins for my world map. I also got territory maps and not the world one so I can only guess where annares is.

Now at 875BC I have not completed my expansion phase and I'm also still building warriors for a later offensive against India. After annares took advantage of me buying techs from the AI only to buy them cheaper afterwards, I stop trading tech completely. So in 875 I still lack the wheel and mysticism but just bought Code of Laws and Pilosophy after annares ( I know he's going for Republic). I started a min research for Republic which I might increase after annares discovers it.

I also attach an F3 picture

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/20031026594_annares4.jpg
50.4KB

yndy
30-11-2003, 08:34
Update at turn 118 - 210BC

Still not done with the expansion phase but getting close. I built the FP (try to see on map) and I've been an Republic for a while. The good thing is that ...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200311308332_annares-F3-210BC.JPG
63.46*KB

I found the other continent. I got the techs I was behind for the world map. A Galley of annares scouted around. My cities have built some marketplaces and are now fully geared towards Horsemen. I hope for more good news in the future. The bad part is that I don't know where annares is and what is he doing.

Oh and this is a G R E A T map. Thank you.

yndy
29-12-2003, 06:35
Update at turn 131 (50AD)

Given the look of the map I am preparing for an assault on annares. I have triggerred my golden age by attacking the Indians and now I am building troops and ships for an assault over the sea.

annares still does not know the other continent and according to my calculations is getting close to Military Tradition. (he should have chemistry by now). He also has 3 galleys patrolling my shore. I bet he has some units there for a quick sneak attack.

Techwise I do not have Invention but I have Theology, traded with the other continent.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200312296346_annares-F3-50AD.JPG
37.73KB

yndy
07-01-2004, 15:25
Quick update as I have no work to do in the office.
The turn is 133 or so because I lost the save on my computer and was waiting for a to send it. It turned out that he discovered the other continent and traded for their techs. There was nothing I could do to prevent him from discovering that continent.

Now I have almost 50 horse units and want to gather so many that annares would never be able to recover from the first strike. He does have gunpowder and I expect to lose 2 riders for every musket I kill.

annares has a galley that watches out his shore, I'm going to send one galley to explore for the best approach that would go undetected until it's too late.

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 15:32
Sorry if I missed it but have you got Leos' ?
To upgrade 50 horses to Riders is 4000g !

yndy
07-01-2004, 16:07
Unfortunately not, but the wonder was still not build and I have a phoney war against the Indians trying to get a leader.

OTOH, I'm in my Golden Age, going 100% on gold.

Guys how many Raiders do you thing I need to succeed?

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 16:20
Raiders ? None !
Riders ? Tons !
;)

If you do not research for 20 turns I'll bet my 2 cents anarres will have Cavs by the time you land :D

yndy
08-01-2004, 07:05
This will be close but since I don't want to see a horde of Sipahi on my continent, I have to go with my Riders to his.

yndy
19-01-2004, 10:35
This is a pictureless short update at turn 140+. I actually got a GL from my battles with India and used him on spot to rush Leo’s in a border town.

In the same time I sent a galley to scout annares’ shore only to see that he just parked units all over. I sent a second boat towards the south but everywhere I saw Ottoman horses. Since I had just upgraded 75 horses and chariots to Riders I had to use them and after buying Gunpowder from India I sneak-attacked them. My forces are already down to 60 Riders but Indian losses are even higher and I got four major cities. I expect a quick victory and at least one leader, even before annares realizes that my territory is completely defenseless.

Afterwards, I’ll see what can be done but I’m not going to attack annares anyway.

ERIKK
19-01-2004, 11:57
Hehe, he told me he would do that... In my game against Beam we decided on a agreement on
these type of things so I left the grasslands open and put units on hills and mountains as
they also of strategic importance to me IMO).

(In the end Beam managed to grab a mountain after all btw...) ;)

yndy
19-01-2004, 13:42
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

Hehe, he told me he would do that... In my game against Beam we decided on a agreement on
these type of things so I left the grasslands open and put units on hills and mountains as
they also of strategic importance to me IMO).
(In the end Beam managed to grab a mountain after all btw...) ;)

I bet the chartaginian shores, in the south of the continent he's on, are not that well protected, i'm thinking of a devious trick to fool him. I have several ideas but all need ideal conditions that I lack.

yndy
19-02-2004, 17:32
Monthly update,

Now at turn 155. Very slow. My fault.

annares has blocked not only his entire western shore, but Chartage’s as well. I’ve blocked part of my eastern shore as well while my 11 strong galley fleet searched for a good landing spot. I could not find one so far but I’m still looking.

I’m focusing on science and I’m happy that annares does not have Steam Power yet because he lacks Banking. I’m pretty sure he has all the other required Middle Age techs though, while I’m considering buying Astronomy and Chemistry from the AI.

4 Horsemen of annares landed on my shores but I disposed of them swiftly. This turn I got a great leader while my Riders were fighting a former Chartaginian city on my continent that flipped back for the third time. It’s good to have something to kill time with and even better, to get leaders from that.

This game seems to be heading towards a space race but I’m going to invade the third continent anyway when I will be able to do that.
All in all, this game might last for a year at the current rate.

Matrix
19-02-2004, 18:13
Go, Yndy, go! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

yndy
28-02-2004, 06:34
Now at turn 159 (440 AD).

My troops have landed on the continent of annares:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200422862723_annares-440ad.jpg
98.92KB
This might be a very short incursion because annares took those three cities from Chartage in just two turns. WhatI did was to make peace with Chartage and negotiate an alliance against annares in the same turn.

Instead annares razed some three Chartaginian cities in one turn and captured two cities in the south in the same turn.

Techwise I'm 4 turns away from Physics and annares got Banking (I'm not sure if he's in the Industrial Age or not, I can't tell the difference in graphics. Since things were going too easy for annares, two turns after the MA with Carthage I made a MA with Americans against him. He was importing two luxuries from them. [grouhco]

This is how my military looks like:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/20042286336_annares-F3-440AD.JPG
30.82KB

yndy
06-04-2004, 08:20
It’s been a while, the game stalled for a week or two, lost by annares, than by me, than by annares again. Finally, we picked up and actually managed to play 2 turns in a day. Let’s hope we can keep up.

The turn is now 170 and as discussed briefly on the open thread annares landed three ship loads of troops near my undefended capitol. My troops rushed in from his continent (with the speed of light – that’s how the game is designed, that’s what we play) and slaughtered annares with only one casualty.

He pondered giving up but I assured him it was not the case. He then realized, together with me that there was a place on my continent where he could have landed and razed three – four major cities before I could reach him.

Afterwards I focused on science and annares made an alliance against me with Chartage and Korea (in the same turn, technically breaking the rules we have agreed on but with little game disruption consequences. Actually Carthage had one of the two cities they were left with on my continent and being at war with them I attacked and got a Great Leader.

The current situation is:

Techwise I just got Theory of Gravity over annares (what is he doing saving money for his future kid’s college fund?). I believe he can still reach the Industrial Age before me and he has a free tech as well.

He has more manufacturing and commerce output than me but I’m not 100% sure his Golden Age ended. I have more land and population and also outscore him 400 points (1800 vs 1400).

We have comparable militaries, my core armies are still 46 Riders plus some 10-15 Muskets, 17 Catapults, 15 Galleys and several other units.

Annares just built Bach’s and has Sun Tzu and the Pyramids. Also a bunch of other wonders captured from Chartage, I have Leo’s, Smith’s and lost a bunch of shields on a Copernicus Prebuild (Korea got it).
I am allied with America (third largest) against annares, and he has an alliance with Korea. I estimate we will buy in each nation at the earliest opportunity, they both have precious luxuries that we trade. I have an alliance with America against the Mongols, pretty backward guys with decent territories and one luxury. England and Carthage have a total of 4 cities.

My plans:

Get to the industrial era as fast as possible, currently 6 turns from Magnetism, the last tech. I started a palace prebuild, will it be Newton or ToE or the Suffrage? My bunch of cities are mostly on worker production.

I plan to monitor annares closely and maybe try a surprise attack at some point. Anyway the final battle is still far.
My ace in the hand is the Great Leader, I don’t want to use him up for Newton’s, I could relocate the palace but I don’t want to delay the Industrial era and he’ll just stand by until the next confrontation.

Sorry no pics, I'm at work [blush]

yndy
09-04-2004, 07:44
Turn 171 and annares has entered the industrial age. He took, the Americans, the Koreans and the Carthaginians with him on that.

Taking the last in was a mistake, I made peace with them and got Magnetism for 44gpt, so I'm in the industrial age as well. The max I can research steam power at is 60% and it's due in 9 turns but I have to do something to handle the deficit. For now I have disbanded 10 Riders and some warriors. Next turn, the rest of the warriors and Med Infs will be disbanded.

yndy
18-04-2004, 06:25
The turn is 174 and the year 580.

While annares is one turn away from completing his railnet, I’m five turns away from Steam Power. At this point I have realised a weak point in my defense that annares can spot and speculate. My shore blockade is interrupted in numerous places as the workers are heading towards the core of the empire to speed up the rails there. One place is the far south where I only have a musket now while annares has a galley scouting and seeing my unprotected shore and my empty cities.

Next turn even two Sipahis could raze the entire area so I sent most of the troops in that direction but it will take two-three turns until I can arrange proper defenses.

Here’s a screen-shot of my lands and military, now weaker than annares’ as I disbanded lots of units to be able to research at 70%.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200441862438_annares-F3-580AD.JPG
69.25KB

yndy
23-04-2004, 12:46
Turn 177

Another break at work, and a short update. annares did not do any nasty things so far and he probably only has a window of 2 turns before I get Steam to pose a serious threat to my empire.

Most of my major cities have finished construction of all useful improvements and are currently building Muskets. I have a bunch of workers doing nothing than waiting for the Steam to be available. They are building fortresses on each mountain and hill in my core. I hope I will never have to use them.

I could buy a 7th luxury but I don’t actually need it. The Civs on the third continent seem to be doing just fine, even England got Military Tradition so that’s going to be cheap for me to buy.

My plan is to build rails, research industrialization, then factories than at some point mount an invasion of the third continent and fight for a domination victory. I’m not sure if it will ever happen. I’d also do something to make annares worry about his position but I’m not sure what. Probably build some ironclads and pound his shores.

yndy
30-04-2004, 13:59
Turn 181

I discovered steam two turns ago but had no coal hooked. I had to cut a jungle and road it in two turns but now i've completely railroaded my first city. Meanwhile annares has completely railroaded all his continent and has industrialisation.

Well I'll fight to the last man.

Aggie
30-04-2004, 14:06
It is strange that anarres didn't attack again (Before Steam). He may be leading the tech race, but does he really have the empire to outresearch and outproduce you?

yndy
01-05-2004, 05:29
He has outproduced and outcommerced ;) me ever since he started his golden age. He has also recently overpassed me in population so he's definitely doing better than me.

He was either not confident or is planning somethin' else.

yndy
26-07-2004, 18:43
OK, guys, you seem to be talking extensively on annares's forum, my statement so far is that I'm not doing good and annares kicked most of my offensive units. I will not be able to upload pics for awhile, but just tell me ask me if you have any questions.

I've told annares that the game is 80% lost for me but that I would still like to play some more if he doesn't mind. Do you think I should let go only because I lost some 20 cavs?

Aggie
26-07-2004, 21:14
Surely not! Experience this map to the fullest! :)

Beam
26-07-2004, 23:46
Take the 20% and look for a hole. It ain't over 'til it is over.

yndy
17-08-2004, 04:54
Edit: Happy one year anniversary of our game

[b]One on one with annares

The year is 850AD and we're at turn 201. annares has completely conquered the third continent while my troops performed brilliantly during the retreat (Pas-de-Calais type).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200481745115_annares-F3-850 AD.JPG
68.9*KB

Is the land enough for him to get domination ? I don't know but let me check ...
I have 682 tiles (27%) and I need 161 more tiles to prevent annares from getting his domination. Following manual countdown I conclude that I can only get 108 more tiles on my continent.

My population is now 426 with 42.1% of the total, while annares can still develop it's newly conquered lands. I will strive to keep the percentage over 40% in the foreseable future.

I'm researching Rep Parts (which probably a. does not have) while he has Scientific Method, Atomic Theory and Electronics ahead for sure plus maybe Corporation and Espionage. I'll make Rep Parts because I need it bad, then go for Espionage and Communism (I need those Police Stations).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/yndy/200481745235_annares-F11-850AD.JPG
25.67*KB
I have jumped my Capitol to Delhi (red dot) while my FP is in the starting area (green dot). Development of the new area is rather slow but will hopefully gain pace. My starting area is now building some happiness buildings (I only have 4 luxuries) but will then focus on military.

I will keep a defensive stance until I can build serious navy (I hope I have oil) and then I'll try to hassle annares with many destroyers.

yndy
15-10-2004, 14:37
I gave up to annares, my economy was growing so slow, annares had outrun me in all fields and had technically the possibility to get domination (he estimated he needed two more turns to get that).

Congratulations annares, it was a nice game, I hoped to split the middle continent but could not do that. Next time I'll go for pangaea and a smaller map.

Darkness
15-10-2004, 15:53
Tough one Yndy, but Mr Micromanagement is a pretty tough adversary, I think...