PDA

View Full Version : GOTM, anyone?

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 07:27
I realize this is an MP forum, primarily. I reaize that SP takes second place here. That being said, what would y'all think about doing a GOTM type game here? Perhaps even a GOTM PvP type game. Might be interesting to see how people do against another player. . .

Yes, this is a rip off of CFC's GOTM. Cracker recently invited me to try the GOTM there. . . I'm not big on Deity level tho. I would prefer a different setup as well. So perhaps instead of saying 'Ripped off from' we can say 'Inspired by'.

Thoughts?

Aggie
14-08-2003, 07:29
I don't know how one should pull of a 1 vs 1 gotm. Normally 1 vs 1's take longer than a month.

Stapel
14-08-2003, 08:26
Huh, I don't think Turner is referring to a 1v1.

I started this month's CFC GOTM (My first GOTM). It is very slow somehow. It is also modded with all kind of crap (clouds????). And you need to read through a dozen webpages, while the whole shebang can be explained in 3 sentences. The game is quite boring imho. Apart from that, Cracker is a complete lunatic (does he read this?), which also prevents me from finishing the game....

I would like a tourney kind of thing: one level (elite?) should be ok!

Shabbaman
14-08-2003, 08:58
I don't like the modded gotm's. I played the gotm, and learned a lot from it, but I don't like mods, period.
I've been thinking about cdz gotm for a while now, I'm sure it can be done. Only it'd be more like a gott, game of the trimester [:p]
I'd offer to the maps, since you all play on higher levels then I do anyway, besides, the SG players now how good the maps are I make LOL

Aggie
14-08-2003, 09:01
I interpreted PvP as 1 vs 1. What we could think about is a couple of 1vs1's starting at the same time using use the same map. It would be very interesting to see how people are playing from the same starting positions.

yndy
14-08-2003, 09:01
I also don't get exactly what Turner is talking about, but we could try a tournament (in addition to the ladder competition).

We should get everyone registered, than draw players into 1v1 elimination style matches. Semi-finals, Final and all. The drawback is that it would probably take one year to get a winner for 64 players and one round every 2 months.

I have some ideas but would only think more seriously if you are interested.

BTW stapel, I know cracker pretty well and I could pass on your message if you want :D

Skyfish
14-08-2003, 09:11
I agree with everything Stapel said :D and I myself, like Shabba, was thinking of a CDZ tournament type game since cracker basically killed the tournament at CFC.
No mods (but human controlled maps), fastest win, Emperor or Deity level, keep it simple type of game.
Ideas to have a PBEM tournament/GOTM on top of the ladder appear irrealistic to me.

Aggie
14-08-2003, 09:14
Well, I won't be playing single player games until C3C comes out. And then only for a brief period to understand the new levels and features. So no tournament or GOTM for me.

EDIT: Yes, I also stopped playing GOTM after the fog, vulcanoes and other features introduced.

Shabbaman
14-08-2003, 09:25
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

I interpreted PvP as 1 vs 1. What we could think about is a couple of 1vs1's starting at the same time using use the same map. It would be very interesting to see how people are playing from the same starting positions.

That's what I meant to say. This would/could/should be a ladder game as well, with the scores giving the ranking for the GOT'M'.
It'd probably mean 1 game every year or so, but that doesn't really matter much I think.

yndy
14-08-2003, 09:28
I'm still playing GOTM and my most important complaint is just about the modded maps. Keep the maps un-modded and I might play a SG tournament here.

I'd rather lose on an un-modded maps than always win on a modded one.

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 09:50
I'm cool with no-modded maps. I have a few tweaks I do on my maps, and all my PBEMs are 'Vanilla' anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of having a tournament type thing, with all of us using the same map. Different levels, whatever. I'd like to see at least two: Regent and Deity. But we could do one for each difficulty level.

On my yahoo groups civ3 list (not my list, one I belong to) we split off and made a pbem list. We started a little tournament type thing, and one of the things we did was have a game that went to 10ad, where there were two sides. Anyways, the idea was to see who could do the best. That's sorta what I meant here.

Oh, and PvP goes back to my D2 days - "Player vs Player", or 1 vs 1 here. Sorry about speaking a foreign language here! ;)

I think we should have a different kind of ladder, tho. How hard would that be? Say an SP tourney ladder, and the PBEM ladder?

Edit: Oh, if we were to do a 1 vs 1 ladder tourner, I can see where it would take a while to play the game. I'm still playing PBEMs that were started in January. Which is why when we all did the same map (or I should say they, I didn't do that tourney) they set a 'turn limit' of 10ad. So we could do something like that, and mod the map to end the game at 10ad. Or not, and let the players continue on after that for shits and giggles, but the score at 10 ad is the one used. How many turns would that be, anyway?

Stapel
14-08-2003, 10:33
Reading all the above, I compeletely loose track.....

I agree with Skyfish: In fact a revive of the CFC tourney: I really think 1 level is enough emperor shouls be fine for us PBEM-ers.....

My view:
-no ladder
-6 games a year
-Fastest win!!

Very easy imho!

anarres
14-08-2003, 10:54
Well if someone wants to start something we can provide you with a forum for it.

Just be prepared to run it completely and it's yours. :D

yndy
14-08-2003, 11:14
Ahhhhhhhhh!

*runs away*

Stapel
14-08-2003, 12:02
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Well if someone wants to start something we can provide you with a forum for it.

Just be prepared to run it completely and it's yours. :D

ATM, I am seriously considering this!

Turner, Wanna help?

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 12:23
How shitty of me would it be to throw this out and say 'Oh, I just have this idea, I don't want to run it.' 'Course I'll help.

Stapel
14-08-2003, 12:26
Can we have a chat about it? I use MSN. I see you have AOL soemthing. Don't know about AOL.

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 12:53
Now's not a good time. How about you email me, turner_727@yahoo.com. We'll work something out.

jack merchant
14-08-2003, 13:54
I'm doing poorly enough on the PBEM-Ladder alone, thank you :D.

I played a few GOTMs and though there are some mods I don't like (fog and volcanoes in particular) there are also a few nice ones - the new resources were nice IMHO, though they shouldn't become standard. My biggest beef is now that the GOTM maps are now so crammed that they are now beyond slow on my computer - they are glacial [wallbash]

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 14:22
Well, my thoughts are to make it quick and fast. I'm perfectly okay with unmodded civ for this. Although the 'Show Map' from 1.27 looks interesting. I haven't installed the patch yet. Perhaps I should do that.

Turner_727
15-08-2003, 10:48
Okay, Stapel and I have hashed out some details. I'm going to create the map by this weekend. I will start this out as a single player map. It will be a small and quick one. Depending on response, we'll move to an SP round and a 1v1 round.

The idea behind this is to create small quick games. Even the playing field out. Not that I have a problem with the ladder set up, I'm just throwing out something different, and see how it goes. I think it will be cool to have a ladder competition on the SP map, and a second ladder (seperate from the other ladder) based on the 1v1 games.

Guys/girls. . .I'm just throwing things out. NOTHING is set in stone, and Stapel and I are perfectly willing to change the rules. We're going to try and keep it vanilla, but there will be small tweaks. What are they? Who can say? ;) We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Anarres/PP - If this pans out, I'd like to see a sperate forum for it, if y'all are willing. OTOH, waiting to see how it works wouldn't be a bad idea either. In any event, I leave it in your hands as to whether we start of with a new forum from the get go or not.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome. I will post the 4000bc save with a spoiler shot by this weekend. I've got to pick up my financial aid and pay for my books and classes tomorrow after work, so it probably won't be Friday.

Skyfish
15-08-2003, 11:21
Thanks a lot you two for making this idea real !
I would rather see NO SPOILERS at all for these SP games...we dont want another GOTM [sad]
Will there be pre-defined victory type or is it just quickest finish whatever the victory type ? (this might favour warmongers...)
I am sure we all agree to exclude Kemal from this competition of course :D

Turner_727
15-08-2003, 11:29
Right now Stapel and I are of the mindset that a diplo, cultural, or SS victory would take too long, and invalidate the theory of the quick game. (Oooh, lookit me! Big words! [crazyeye])

Seriously, if people want it, we can do it at a later date. Right now, it's a conquest victory. I might make it domination. . . but we'll see.

Don't worry. . .we've picked a warmongering civ for you. Who could it be? [confused]

Nightfa11
15-08-2003, 14:02
This sounds like a lot of fun. Though I enjoy the GOTM, I do miss the tournament. It would be nice to see it revived, and I do NOT agree with cracker that whatever "medal" thing they're trying to do is equal to the tournament.

I'll certainly participate, IF I ever get my computer back.

EDIT: I just saw cracker's first tournament game on CFC. It doesn't look to be too bad and maybe the difficulty level problem is solved. I'll still play this one, but I might have changed my mind a bit about how I feel about the "medal play series" they are doing over there.

ProPain
15-08-2003, 14:03
Turner and Stapel I made a new forum for you guys to play with. It;s in the Civ 3 section. If you guys need more fora, lemme know.

I'm looking forward to this!

PP

Skyfish
15-08-2003, 14:30
Conquest victories are very time consuming Turner, please keep that in mind !

Turner_727
16-08-2003, 03:18
Yeah, my thought too.

I'm thinking, and this is open to debate, is the person with the highest score at 10ad gets the win. Beyond that, feel free to play from your own enjoyment.

Turner_727
16-08-2003, 19:31
Well, I've got the save file ready. How do I attach it?

DrAlimentado
16-08-2003, 20:43
use the 'upload image' button in reply to topic, it's actually an 'upload file' button.

Turner_727
16-08-2003, 22:12
Thx

Okay, it's ready.

Go Here to get it! (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=761)

Darkness
21-08-2003, 13:31
quote:Originally posted by stapel

Huh, I don't think Turner is referring to a 1v1.

I started this month's CFC GOTM (My first GOTM). It is very slow somehow. It is also modded with all kind of crap (clouds????). And you need to read through a dozen webpages, while the whole shebang can be explained in 3 sentences. The game is quite boring imho. Apart from that, Cracker is a complete lunatic (does he read this?), which also prevents me from finishing the game....

I would like a tourney kind of thing: one level (elite?) should be ok!

The slowness is caused by the fog, IIRC. It has a movement of 0 set to it and the computer can't handle that very well...
The excessive modding of the AI's and the maps is drawing more and more new players to the GOTM, but is also pushing other posters away.
I also don't like some (most) of the new features...
And besides that, cracker can be really rude and patronizing, IMHO. Just ask Meli... :D

Skyfish
21-08-2003, 13:58
Welcome to CDZ Darkness !
Great to see you here and hope you will try some PBEMs
You wont find any patronizing rude guys here....except for.... no, never mind :D

anarres
21-08-2003, 14:02
Hey! I can be nice when I'm fed well! [mad2]

Darkness
21-08-2003, 14:06
I thought people weren't allowed to feed animals in the Zoo...

Oh wait, this isn't a zoo? :D I must be in the wrong place then...[blush2]

j/k

Turner_727
21-08-2003, 20:42
It sure feels like a zoo. . . .

Ehecatl Atzin
23-08-2003, 07:41
and smells like a zoo.. ;)