PDA

View Full Version : The Aggian - Erikian Space Race *spoiler*

Aggie
10-08-2003, 14:02
ERIKK and I agreed to play a space race game. UN is not a valid win and we also agreed not to attack each other. The level is deity easy. We asked for 4 continents with two civs on each of them. The civs are all scientific plus India.

Turn 35:

Sky gave me a nice start, but I see no rivers around. I decided on RCP on distance 5 and 8, because the cities need a little room when rails are around. Also note the Persian troops on the edge of the map. There are 4 of them in total, but I also have for units near Termophylae:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/aggie/20038101400_AESRworld34.jpg
85*KB

Aggie
11-08-2003, 12:59
Turn 43:

The Persians walked away :) But they stole great sites east of me, where a river flows. I will continue with the first ring RCP and then see what is left on the second ring to settle. ERIKK and me seem to expand in the same pace. He complains about lack of room, but I know that he always complains about his starts. A form of deception? ;)

Skyfish
11-08-2003, 14:15
[goggle] [goggle]
Lack of room ?
[eek] [eek]

[mouth]

[wallbash]

ProPain
11-08-2003, 15:01
Only real whimps complain about lack of room [coool]

Skyfish
11-08-2003, 15:36
Exactly !
[lol]

Aggie
14-08-2003, 21:30
Turn 58:

I get warrior code from a hut :D. Time to give an update of the game. Persia, mij neighobur, finished the Pyramids and the Colossus. All AI is growing like mad and ERIKK and me are small.

Here's my empire with first ring at 5 / 5.5 and second on 8 / 8,5 (I hope):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/aggie/2003814212945_EKwm58.jpg
72.03KB

Ehecatl Atzin
14-08-2003, 21:48
Do you have iron working yet? I can't seem to find iron in the map

Aggie
14-08-2003, 21:56
I haven't got it yet... That may be not very clever [:o]

Skyfish
14-08-2003, 22:20
Pyramids on same continent is nice :D

Aggie
14-08-2003, 22:22
@Sky: and if you remember the rules of this game: ERIKK isn't allowed to conquer it :D
We only may have two continents per human at max.

Aggie
16-08-2003, 21:00
Turn 82:

A couple of turns ago ERIKK says to me that I know the world now. I guess that he sold contacts and made a jump in tech knowledge :(. But in this turn I pay through the nose to get Construction from India @3rd (17 gpt and 175 gold). But the effect is that I can get level in techology and also have knowledge of half the world map :D

Aggie
17-08-2003, 11:45
Turn 91:

I finished the peaceful expansion phase. I just managed to get a decent first ring and a couple of 2nd ring cities. Persia took the most land on my continent however. ERIKK is probably equal in size, looking at the score.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003817114442_EKmyland91.JPG
188.07*KB

Turn 92:

I see that India is in the Middle Ages! Germany is there as well. Luckily the rest still has to get there. We are all scientific, except for India, so I figure that I have to be quick to profit from my free tech:

- I pay everything I have (12 gpt and 110 gold) for Currency to India.
- I sell Russia Currency for Polytheism and territory map. My free tech is Monotheism. Russia has Feudalism.
- India gives me 100 gold and Feudalism for Monotheism.
- I gift Babylon and Persia currency. Persia gets Engineeering as a free tech. This means that ERIKK will only invent a known tech when he enters the Middle Ages :) Persia is now gracious towards me.

So my initial bankrupty gives me: Currency, Polytheism, Monotheism, Feudalism, 100 gold and world map.

Here is that world map:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003817123514_EKmap92.jpg
9.99*KB

Turn 93:

I backward again. A lot of AI know Republic. And also Engineering. Only Russia and ERIKK know less than me. I have to hope that Russia learns Republic or Engineering soon! ERIKK still has to learn Currency and Polytheism. I don't know if he has plans against the Otrtomans (he hinted that within 6 turns things would get interesting) but he has to face Medieval Infantry!

Skyfish
17-08-2003, 13:03
Very well done !
Great move to deny Erikk of a 2fer on his free tech.
Wow ! Look at those AIs ! They look mighty powerful :D

Aggie
17-08-2003, 13:21
Turn 94:

The third luxury, furs is connected to the empire.

Thanks Sky :D

Aggie
18-08-2003, 14:10
Turn 98:

ERIKK tells me that the inevitable happened. Persia declared war. I have one or more hoplites in every city and also have walls in the bordertowns. I didn't notice too many troops last turn (though I saw some unsettling movements).

I was very close to avoiding a despot GA. I guess that there's no escaping it anymore :(

PS. ERIKK hinted that I should not steal this much. He still is puzzled about how I could get into the Middle Ages that quickly :)

Turn 99:

Immediate effects of the war:
- I don't know where and when, but a Persian unit attacked a hoplite and now I'm in a GA. Maybe 5 turns before I can get Republic :(
- We have ourselves a natural enemy which gives us reversed war weariness.

I switch a couple of cities from marketplaces to horsemen. 4 of them will be ready next turn. There is no immediate threat from Persia (I count two warriors, a spear and an immortal) and they have no horses in their region. The question is: how do I prevent a Persian GA? When I am able to resist them for 6 turns, this may actually be a good thing, because then it may be a while before they come again.

The north front with the immediate danger:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003818163644_EK99northfront.jpg
68.71KB

The east front, were I expect a lot of units to come from:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003818163750_EK99eastfront.jpg
81.85KB

Skyfish
18-08-2003, 17:53
If by any chance you are able to prevent a Persian GA now (which I doubt...) remember to trigger it
right before you sign peace with them so they'll waste it and oyu get that cleared out while you are not at war with them....

Aggie
19-08-2003, 21:03
Turn 101:

A mini SoD approaches from the north:

a total of 6 immortals [eek].

I switch a couple of marketplaces to military, losing 40 shields or so. I may lose a city or may make peace just in time.

Turn 102:

I assume that one immortal was killed while attacking my fortified hoplite in Rhodes. The city now faces 3 immortals and two warriors, but I have 3 hoplites and 3 horsemen as defense. On other fronts I see a total of 5 units, which my horsemen and hoplites easily can control. I would be very dissapointed when I lose a city. I even plan a counterattack when I don't see new SoD's coming my way!

However, chivalry is around and I don't have iron hooked up yet. I sent my workers to that spot immediately. I may be facing Persian knights soon though.

Turn 104:

[hammer]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003820203831_EK104razed.jpg
28.47*KB

This is what happens when you mess with Aggie. Take that X-man!

On the eastern front things look OK enough to hold it for a turn more. East of Argos 7 immortals appear, but maybe X-man wants to talk next turn:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003820204039_EK104eastern.jpg
73.3*KB

Turn 106:

I get the save back and see that all my hoplites in Argos survived. X-man has one immortal left there :D Gotta love walls.

He now even wants to pay for peace. Instead I buy Engineering from him, which I can't get from others.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200382022193_EKpersiapeace106.jpg
38.11*KB

ERIKK is hurting the Ottomans. I envy his position but unfortunatelly X-man beat me to the punch. Within 20 turns I want to be the aggressor for a change! Persia without horses may have a slight problem [evil]

Aggie
28-08-2003, 09:46
Turn 135:

Not a lot happenend in the past couple of turns. ERIKK and I finally went into anarchy and he conquered the larger part of his continent. I feel that I'm obliged to do the same. The Persians didn't managed to get horses from someone, so they still don't have Knights. ERIKK has more than one soruce of horses, but can't trade with Persia atm.

Aggie
31-08-2003, 15:44
Turn 153/154:

I got banking in turn 153 and found out that the AI is on the doorstep to the Industrial Age already! They will be speeding up now, since we have an all scientific AI.

Persia managed to be the first in the Industrial Age and they got Nationalism :( So, with 22 knights, I decide that desperate times call for despersate mesaures. I raze Gordium, the Persian iron city, with 4 knights, of which one retreats.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2003831154435_AgEk1542ndpersianwar.jpg
25.71KB

Next turn Persia will have riflemen. So I will now only take a few bordertowns and wait for peace. Persia without horses and iron will be crippled in the long run, I hope.

Aggie
01-09-2003, 07:13
Turn 155:

I get the turn back and see A LOT of Persian troops. They may not have iron and horses, but immortals remain a threat, especially 30 of them. I expect a long war, 8 turns or so, because we had one before. New goals:

- Take or raze the city where Jinjan was placed
- Defensive war until peace can be signed, hopefully for a tech or two

I expect that a few civs will join the Persians. That would be good, because then my gpt will return in my pocket.

Aggie
05-09-2003, 09:05
Turn 160:

I was able to resist the first wave of Persian troops. Now I have to deal with 4 muskets and 3 immortals next to Pharsalos as the only immediate danger. They must be running out of immortals and then they have to come with rifleman to attack.

Drawback is that Persia is getting others to join the war. Germany is the first. They are no immediate threats, but it will now take longer before Persia signs peace. I payed a large sum to Germany, so that is now free to rush and upgrade units.

Aggie
07-09-2003, 18:12
I conceded. I didn't have luck in this game. As expected, the Persians attacked me early in the game. I prepared for it, but it hampered my growth and I got a useless GA. After that I saw the Persians get the power of the world, part of the reason being their Pyramdis. They were also by far the first to enter the IA and got Nationalism for free. This made it next to impossible for me to keep up with ERIKK by killing the Persians, even worse: they built rifles in the speed that I built Knights and I quickly was surrounded :(

anarres
07-09-2003, 18:15
Comiserations Aggie. [sad]

ERIKK
07-09-2003, 18:58
Yup it sucks but you were building marketplaces I just read! [eek]

When were you planning to capture the continent (and start the enevitable war with your
neighbour)?

Aggie
07-09-2003, 19:02
What is so strange about building marketplaces in a deity game [???]. My troops would have been ready in 5 more turns, but then Persia suddenly got Nationalism.

ERIKK
07-09-2003, 19:11
Well, I was thinking about going to war means building piles of thoops. Especially if these
damn Persians would have gotten Cavs your knights wouldn't have been save too. :(
Thats all.

Aggie
07-09-2003, 19:25
Those marketplaces were built in the early MA. Of course I was building up the troops and beelining to Military Tradition! You were behind in tech vs me (no Education yet) and the AI was entering the IA. No problem for you, because you had a crippled civ to deal with (good job there, I must admit). But I had to deal with the strongest force on the planet that was also the most advanced. The Persians are very strong early in the game and got the Pyramids as a bonus. Doesn't seem obvious to attack the Persians with Pyramids triggering their GA...

By the way: what Persian cavs? They didn't have horses! But they would get rifles and a lot of rails. I wouldn't have attacked in a SP game. Now I didn't see any other option than to disconnect the iron, but that was too late.