PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Traits poll.....

anarres
07-08-2003, 13:15
Well, I wanted to know how people valued traits in PBEM or other MP games, so plesae let me know you favourite combo.

We had a thread before where we graded then in order of preference, but a trait 'pair' is more relevant when you acually play.

I have also learned a lot since then. Industrial is still top for me, but now Religous isn't as bad as I thought it would be in PBEMs and Commercial and Scientific have proved me right by performing better than in SP games, due to the late era's most PBEMs reach.

anarres
07-08-2003, 13:43
I voted Industrious and Commercial, but Industrious and Scientific is a close second for me.

yndy
07-08-2003, 14:00
I second that.

Skyfish
07-08-2003, 14:01
Was amazed at the power of Commerical in my game vs Erikk...such low corruption with no need for that RCP bullshit ;)
Industriuous goes without saying so it's the French for me :D
Scientific is close behind.
Religious is the one trait that I would say has been overvalued in my eyes when most of my games have only one revolution (from Despot to Republic and that's it) and culture being so muc less important in PBEM.

ERIKK
07-08-2003, 14:05
religeous and militaristic (japan, celts) seems the right choice on deity for early war, and you need early war and leaders to catch up! (in between building units a quick temple to get bigger cities...

industrious is still the best threat over all...
industrious and religeous (egypt) is top dog overall...

Aggie
07-08-2003, 14:29
Industrious and commercial are the traits I favor at the moment. But UU is also very important and both France and Carthage haven't got a very good one :(

So when you also count the UU, it's Ottomans for me, with the also very strong trait scientific.

Skyfish
07-08-2003, 14:35
Sipahis are over powerful and I dont think it's a debate Ottomans are the strongest civ....

anarres
07-08-2003, 14:40
They also cost 100 shields, but the more I play the new civs in PTW the more I realise that pricing them so high is the only way to offset their incredible strength.

But let's save the best civ for another poll. ;)

ProPain
07-08-2003, 15:11
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I voted Industrious and Commercial, but Industrious and Scientific is a close second for me.

Swap that around and there's my top 2

anarres
07-08-2003, 15:29
Maybe PP, I will have to try Ind and Sci next to see what they are like in practic. Commercial civs seem to be all I play these days...

jack merchant
07-08-2003, 16:00
At the moment I'm still leaning to industrious/scientific, but I probably need to play commercial civs more. Maybe I'll change my mind if my rematch vs Cartouche Bee turns out well.

I am however beginning to suspect that the longer a game lasts, the less useful industrious is... if as a non-industrious civ you can keep up until rails, your other traits should come into their own.

Skyfish
07-08-2003, 16:22
Thats' a very good point Jack..if it weren't for rails...

Gothmog
07-08-2003, 16:29
I didn't vote because I think the situation dictates much. Industrious is always good, but especially if you have a bunch of jungle to clear, and/or a lack of bonus tiles in your immediate area. Commercial is great but can be offset by the distribution of rivers, gold, etc. Expansionist is great, especially on Pangea, because you can get early contact and pop huts. If you get an advanced tribe or settler (or even two [groucho]), it is huge. I think this is an undervalued trait, but then I don’t pop huts early in the game if I am not expansionist as I see many PBEMers here do. I just always seem to get barbs (as the odds dictate). Scientific is good for the cheap libraries, but if you can get your free techs to pay off in trades its value is magnified. Militaristic is nice for increased leader production and cheap barracks. These are big considering that a Diplomatic victory is unlikely in PBEM, and the value of leaders – but again a fickle RNG can offset this bonus. I do think Religious is a little less valuable since you don’t see a lot of revolutions, cheap temples are nice but can’t be leveraged the way the other traits can. In general, I think there is pretty good balance between the traits.

Turner_727
14-08-2003, 10:56
Industrious and Expansionist is still my favorite. But I never play that any more. . .seems like cheating to me. I do always use this when jumping a level, since it's the one I know best.

Scientific and Industrious is a close second.

I like the Spanish to. They're religious/commercial, right? My highest earning civ was that. I had something like 100k+ at the end of the game, with 2-3k gpt. . . I couldn't spend it fast enough. . .

Pastorius
26-08-2003, 14:00
1) Industrious/scientific (my vote)
but I would also consider:
2) Industrious/commercial
3) Industrious/religious

based on a wild guess of what I would prefer IF I had PTW, and WHEN I get Conquests

DrAlimentado
26-08-2003, 15:24
Ind + Sci

Gothmog is right, the context of the game decides all but I still say Ind/Sci is the best overall combo. Commercial rocks as well, but I love cheap librarys and science slingshots too much.

Moonsinger
26-08-2003, 16:11
(1) Ind and Sci
(2) Ind and Commercial
(3) Ind and Mil
(4) Ind and Religious
(5) Sci and Commercial