PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILER* Shabba - Killer Round 1

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 08:37
This thread contains top secret information on North Korea's strategic plans.

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 08:37
placeholder

anarres
14-03-2003, 13:07
Hmm. Your plans seem a little sketchy atm. ;)

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 13:25
Pah!

Here, take a look at my map.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/kaart570ad.jpg

My knights are moving toward Edo, the first Japanese city next to my (new) city. I see a regular spearman...

What's bothering me is that I still didn't get a leader, and I need one to move my capital. I'm currently researching gunpowder, in the hope that I'm beating Killer in the arms race: I bet he goes for his cavalry like UU, so my only hope there is a big pile of defenders.
In the meanwhile, I hope to get Adam Smith's Trading Corporation. I need it to toggle my Golden Age (stupid koreans...)

anarres
14-03-2003, 13:35
Musketmen are too weak for Siphai. You better just prey you can get to Riflemen before he attacks!

BTW, how come he's got some cities on the southern side of your empire? Aren't you tempted to take them now, before he gets his UU and rushes a couple of them down there?

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 13:49
The map is connected from north to south. I don't like it, but I don't have much choice... Meli chose this map.
No chance in the world that I can get nationalism before Killer gets military tradition I guess... And no, muskets might not do the trick, but I've got walls in each cities.

I do have the idea I can outresearch him btw, my core cities are quite productive. They all got universities and are currently building banks.

anarres
14-03-2003, 14:38
has anyone got the Great Wall? It can provide a useful help if your cities are still villages...

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 14:44
Since the GW becomes obsolete with metallurgy, that really wouldn't help me.

anarres
14-03-2003, 14:48
whoops...

Using the Great Wall is a recent thing for me, I never really paid much attention to it...

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 15:03
Allright! I just got my first Great Leader!

What should I do with it?

1. relocate capital: not really needed, but useful. My FP is located next to my capital.
2. rush wonder: I really need those to trigger my GA...
3. build army

I think I'm going for door number 2. I'll rush mr. Smiths corp., but then I'd have to wait about 8 turns. Well, I could just as well sue for peace with the japs.
I'm currently prebuilding, I could use that to build the Observatory.

More news after the weekend, I'm off!

col
14-03-2003, 17:29
3 is not really an option is it.

What about moving your capital right up to the front line to flip a few cities peacably. Put the culture squeeze on - you said you've got lots of unis so your culture must be strong.

anarres
14-03-2003, 18:48
Although if you rush your Palace near the border with Killer you run the risk of losing it if he takes your city...

Shabbaman
15-03-2003, 17:34
Killer is still slightly ahead of me in culture. I'll post a histograph soon. I'm afraid that that's not really an option. His capital is actually close to my northern cities, and the cities to my south (his north, duh, stupid doughnut world) aren't worthwile. They might flip to me anyway...

Melifluous
15-03-2003, 18:14
Yes Meli chose this map, but Killer made me do it :(

There are no poles and indeed the North continues over to the south
X and Y directions are both wrapped.

As for the Great Wall there is some interesting discussion/investigation on CFC as to whether the effect of walls continue even when you have gone past size six...
A bug to be sure but smoething to think about...

Melifluous

Shabbaman
17-03-2003, 12:04
Well, russian missiles can fly over the north pole, so why couldn't my swordsmen do the same?
BTW, would Killer be dirty enough to stab me in the back while I'm finishing of the japanese? My knights are all located in the south.

Shabbaman
25-03-2003, 08:53
I've decided to rush Adam Smith's Trading Corporation. The other option could be Bach's cathedral, but I don't have music theory. I don't really have any unhappiness problem either.

Killer says that I can outproduce him. Sounds like disinformation to me...

Question: should I recolonize Japan?

ProPain
27-03-2003, 08:35
I'd always recolonize Japan. Where you are other players cant (peacefully) go. When you fear war you can also try a preemptive attack (it's the hottest new thing apparently) and try to move up the border to the narrow bit of land (take 4 of killers cities that are connected to his main 'body'moving the border equal to your northernmost city)

Shabbaman
27-03-2003, 08:48
Take 4 of his cities... If I'd manage to do that I would virtually have won already... Besides, those four cities are next to his capital.

Shabbaman
01-04-2003, 10:51
I've discovered that Killer is building up military. It makes sense, since he'll want to upgrade his knights to sipahi asap. I'm fairly sure that he doesn't have metallurgy yet, but it shouldn't take long.

I'm negotiating over chemistry with him, he wants physics plus banking. Sounds like a poor deal to me...

Anyway, I'm 7 turns away from building the Observatory. That will trigger my Golden Age. Could I outproduce him by making A LOT of musketmen?

ERIKK
01-04-2003, 12:00
musketmen are next to useless against shiphai! basicly you are fucked big time. You can only fight these shiphai's on the offense, they have a defensive value of 3. Read the slaughtering of my rifleman in my deity game against anarres! You must hurry and get nationalism asap!

Shabbaman
01-04-2003, 12:16
Yeah, I know, but there's next to nothing else what I can do. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked the Koreans... I'm lucky that I'll be able to toggle my golden age. I had serious doubts about that some turns ago...

ERIKK
01-04-2003, 12:33
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I'm negotiating over chemistry with him, he wants physics plus banking. Sounds like a poor deal to me...

Looking at this again I got confused... How can you not have chemistry and have physics!!! :D

BTW I guess you have to count the turns you will need to get nationalism AND the time you need for upgrading your muskets and pay Killer to leave you alone. Pay per turn..., if he breaks the deal at least he has won by being a unreliable treaty-breaker!

Shabbaman
01-04-2003, 12:51
Well, there's only the puny French left... If Killer breaks treaties, he only gets a rep hit with me I guess.
Anyway, you're correct, I meant astronomy instead of physics.

Shabbaman
02-04-2003, 10:55
The pbem trading system sucks. Besides that you can't 'spy' for free, by looking what techs they've got to offer, it's also way too slow.

In this game, I've traded with Killer for chemistry. Now, the research I'd invested in that for 1 turn is wasted. 1 turn is wasted by proposing it the deal to Killer, 1 turn is wasted for him to reply, and now I hope that he doesn't forget to 'accept' this turn... I could have researched chemistry in 5 turns, so I'd have gotten it 1 turn later than now.

This sucks.

Maybe Killer is stalling on purpose. He's smart enough for that...

ERIKK
02-04-2003, 11:50
I guess you should research something else in the mean time... (or set science to zero)

Shabbaman
02-04-2003, 12:05
I can't research anything. Yeah, useless crap such as democracy ;)... I need chemistry, so I can research physics. I must get riflemen A.S.A.P.!

Shabbaman
02-04-2003, 12:23
Problem solved: we replayed. (replaying in a multiplayer game? strange...)
I'll have riflemen in 15 turns or less, golden age in 6...

ERIKK
02-04-2003, 13:15

I can't research anything. Yeah, useless crap such as democracy ;)... I need chemistry, so I can research physics. I must get riflemen A.S.A.P.!
If you want rifleman you will need lots of other techs of the MA including Democracy before jumping to the IA!!!!! You can only skip Free Artristy...

ERIKK
02-04-2003, 13:16

Problem solved: we replayed. (replaying in a multiplayer game? strange...)
I'll have riflemen in 15 turns or less, golden age in 6...
What a bunch of pussy's!!!!!

:D

Shabbaman
02-04-2003, 13:27
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

If you want rifleman you will need lots of other techs of the MA including Democracy before jumping to the IA!!!!! You can only skip Free Artristy...

Ahem.

You're wrong.

You don't need democracy, navigation, free artistry, printing press, military tradition and music theory. Oh, and chivalry.

Anyway, in the time that Killer has to research 1 tech (military tradition) I've got to do 2: magnetism and theory of gravity. As a bonus, those two are more expensive as well... but I'll be in my Golden Age. Hmmm.

Tough call. The game might be over by the time I get riflemen.

ProPain
02-04-2003, 13:34
Shabba, do you have any peace treaty deal in place with Killer? If not: why not ask for one now for 30 turns or so. If he refuses you'll know his intentions for sure. If he accepts chances are his intentions are peacefull

Shabbaman
02-04-2003, 13:38
There's no use. There's only one civ left, the french. They're located on some remote island, and they're tiny compared to us. So, he can breaks any treaty he wants, because the rep hit won't harm him.

Unless he fails, of course, then he has to sue for peace with me. Anyway, the right moment for him to attack would not only be when he got the sipahi, but also about the only one: I'm outproducing him (he claims), and outresearching him.

Shabbaman
03-04-2003, 11:47
Killer is ending luxury deals, and his power has risen... What could that mean?

(rhetorical question...)

ERIKK
03-04-2003, 12:46
Prepare for war!!!!!

about the techs: I have not experienced passing so many techs when entering a new age....

anarres
03-04-2003, 13:28
hehe. At last, some real fighting! :D

Shabbaman
07-04-2003, 14:04
Bugger. The year is 800 a.d., and I guess the Observatory I just completed won't trigger a scientific civilization's Golden Age...

STUPID NEWBIE! CAN'T YOU GET ANYTHING RIGHT IN THIS GAME!

Kom maar kommaarkommaar........

D'OH!

Well, on to newton's college then... Bugger...

ERIKK
07-04-2003, 15:17
The Observatory is expansionistic or something?

You need scientific (Newton) and commercial, right?

Shabbaman
07-04-2003, 15:51
Indeed. I've got Mr. Will Smith's Black Tie and Shades Corporation.
Stupid me.
Dumb me.

Crap.

Besides picking the koreans over the arabs or even the french, this might have cost me the game. Can't wait to hear Killer's reaction when he reads this (when the game is over)

:(

CRAP!

ERIKK
07-04-2003, 19:40

Indeed. I've got Mr. Will Smith's Black Tie and Shades Corporation.
Stupid me.
Dumb me.
[/b]

I must say, we all expect much more from a newbie thread-professional! [lol][ponder]

(just kidding)

digger760
08-04-2003, 11:53
Shabbaman, you did'nt happen to notice way back in the dark ages weather the Koreans were able to build swords without iron. I was playing against them last night and they built them with out iron (This was Emperor level) I know the AI cheats but I have seen everybody talking about resource denial against the AI, what would be the point if they can cheat like this.

Shabbaman
08-04-2003, 12:13
I couldn't build swordsman without iron, I can assure you that. My first iron mine depleted very quickly (bad luck) and I did have to connect to another source (unfortunately, the depleted iron showed up in Killer's territory... (more bad luck))

Shabbaman
08-04-2003, 12:16
btw, are you sure they didn't build one of their cities on top of an iron source?

digger760
09-04-2003, 10:00
oh, did'nt think of that, went back to check..sure enough the Korean city was on the iron. Stupid me [:I]

Shabbaman
09-04-2003, 11:47
Killer asked me to post a prediction for the next fifty turns... Well, I don't suspect to make it through the next 50 turns anyway. I think there are several SoD coming towards me as we speak. I need about 6 more turns to get nationalism, with riflemen and h'wacha I might stop the sipahi, but not with that bunch of musketmen I have now...
In 30 turns, I can have the University completed, which will toggle my Golden Age (this time for sure) By then, it's about time for the Hoover Dam.

Does killer have a leader ready for that? He just as well might have a spare one...

BTW, I suspect I don't have acces to rubber as well. Game over.

Lt. Killer M
14-04-2003, 15:44
Jeez, that was closer than I thought.....

Shabba, why didn't you come for me instead of Japan?

btw, there was no disinformation on production; I was way behind, but I was close to Metallurgy when I claimed to be close to Metallurgy..... ;)

and LOL on the wonder...... :p

thank you for the great game!

digger760
14-04-2003, 15:50
hmmm, somebody else joining me at the bottom of the ladder. S comes after D so that will put you 2nd last Shabba[lol]

[EDIT] hangon i dont see shaba on the ladder, dont tell me I'm still 2nd bottom[sad]

anarres
14-04-2003, 16:03
Shabba should be on the ladder I'm sure, just give the Ladder admins a few days to get it together. :)