PDA

View Full Version : Computer now fixed!!!!! Woot

Nightfa11
03-08-2003, 21:43
My computer broke. It's not booting. I can, at times use my wife's or my PII400, but I won't play as much for the next week or until I get my laptop back.

[mad][sad][laser]

Aggie
03-08-2003, 21:53
[cry] Take your time NF. I don't mind a slower pace for a week or so ;)

anarres
03-08-2003, 22:21
gutted...

Nightfa11
13-08-2003, 19:25
I still don't have my laptop.

Because of this and because I'm tired of borrowing my wife's laptop, I'm going to wait until I get it back to play any more turns (probably...I might change my mind after withdrawl sets in). I'm currently coaching her through a deity light game to improve her skills, so it gives me some civ time that way.

BTW, never ever buy a Gateway computer. The price is right and the performance is good, but God forbid something goes wrong with it. Their techs couldn't fix a bent paper clip.

As a matter of fact, that will be the last time I ever buy a computer that I can't order warranty parts for myself (IBM, Compaq, Dell, Toshiba). Incompetence pisses me off.

Nightfa11
14-08-2003, 14:39
Another update:

Computer still down. It's on "engineering hold" probably meaning they can't figure out where they put all the parts or something [rolleyes]

Trying to decide what to do. Wondering if I should start working my way up the chain at Gateway to get someone to do something about this.

digger760
14-08-2003, 15:02
yeh, i think building your own PC is a good idea...i built my own...a while back the hard disk packed up..i sent it to Norway and got a new hard disk sent back, for free, in about 4 or 5 days.

Nightfa11
14-08-2003, 15:40
It's hard to build a laptop....

I used to build all my own pc's but it's a bit harder (though not impossible) with a laptop

Nightfa11
15-08-2003, 14:05
Well, they took it off engineering hold and replaced some parts yesterday. It's supposedly being "tested" now. I MIGHT get it back this morning (if they finished testing it last night and shipped it). If not, I should have it back Monday or Tuesday. I am going to be out of town all weekend anyway, so it really doesn't matter to this forum.

In any case, assuming it's back Monday, I will try to have turns to you all by Tuesday. I have some RL stuff to catch up on before that. I am anxious to resume my games.

anarres
19-08-2003, 14:04
Congrats on getting it fixed, I hope the withdrawal symptoms weren't too bad!

Nightfa11
19-08-2003, 15:22
They weren't too bad. So far everything works ok. I've played a bunch of turns.

It was on engineering hold for OVER six days....and I don't know why. Thinking about writing a letter to their complaint folks to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

prettyvacant
19-08-2003, 16:06
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.[cool]

what i need is a way to play computer games across the world without a pc or the internet. (the above is Dougla adams btw)