PDA

View Full Version : Marmite, Veggiemite or nothing?

anarres
31-07-2003, 11:37
ProPain doesn't like Marmite or Veggiemite, so this poll is to prove to him he is a freak. ;) [satan]

ProPain
31-07-2003, 11:40
Lotsa dutchies on this forum, it might just prove you a freak :)

Shabbaman
31-07-2003, 11:50
hehe

anarres
31-07-2003, 11:56
[cry] Come on folks! It's Marmite!!

digger760
31-07-2003, 12:12
hmmm, not many Australian members here, i might have to chase down Sir Eric for another vote for vegemite.

Skyfish
31-07-2003, 13:16
hehe

Aussies, Brits, all freaks :D

ProPain
31-07-2003, 16:07
*cough* that poll is really going your way anarres *cough*

Eklektikos
31-07-2003, 16:21
Even I as a fellow Brit wouldn't touch that shite with a barge pole. You're on your own Anarres ;)

jack merchant
31-07-2003, 16:32
quote:Originally posted by anarres

ProPain doesn't like Marmite or Veggiemite, so this poll is to prove to him he is a freak. ;) [satan]

Boy, did that ever backfire ! [lol]

anarres
31-07-2003, 16:44
[saiyan]

Fuck you all! You all suck donkey dick!! [mad2]

I challenge you all to to a PBEM - me vs. the rest! [mad3]

must... resist... ban... button....

Gothmog
31-07-2003, 17:11
Why wasn't there an '?' option.

Cartouche Bee
31-07-2003, 17:56
quote:Originally posted by Gothmog

Why wasn't there an '?' option.

Yeah, I think we are in the dark over on this side of the world. I tried a search on the subject but it crashed the server! [blush2] Must be a hot topic. :D

Skyfish
31-07-2003, 17:58
Great ! we got anarres real mad :D

Cartouche Bee
31-07-2003, 18:02
Ohh, I found something, seems like it's the slog from local brewers to get the youngsters hooked on complex B vitamins and therefore get them hooked on beer, later in life. Seems like they learned this little trick from the tobacco growers. [/pure huey of course]

Seems it works. [lol]

Nightfa11
31-07-2003, 19:12
vegemite is this nasty brown substance that I first heard of in a men at work song called "down under" It's very bland tasting and gross.

I would imagine marmite is the same.

Therefore I voted along with everybody but Anarres and the Australian guy....both are nasty :)

anarres
31-07-2003, 19:22
Well I addded a 'Dunno' option...

[sad]

ERIKK
31-07-2003, 19:28
I voted "What is Marmite/Vegemite?"

I feel kinda stuuuupid as I seem one of the few (?) who is clueless atm.... ;)

edit
Even more stupid as my friends the French Saint-from-hell and the
Aztec- anarchist-butcher totally understand what the fuck you are
talking about!! [aargh]

Gothmog
31-07-2003, 19:47
All right, now I feel part of things.

Thanks anarres.

I do like nutella, does that count?

anarres
31-07-2003, 20:04
[lol] Everyone likes nutella!!!

Or do they... [hmm]

Shabbaman
01-08-2003, 08:51

[saiyan]

Fuck you all! You all suck donkey dick!! [mad2]

I challenge you all to to a PBEM - me vs. the rest! [mad3]

must... resist... ban... button....

Heh... Would that be a ladder game? The problem is that there are currently 83 members, and I don't think we can set up a game with that many civilizations (perhaps with conquests[rolleyes] )
I'm fairly sure it'd mean -4100 points for the admin though.

ProPain
01-08-2003, 09:56
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

I voted "What is Marmite/Vegemite?"

I feel kinda stuuuupid as I seem one of the few (?) who is clueless atm.... ;)

edit
Even more stupid as my friends the French Saint-from-hell and the
Aztec- anarchist-butcher totally understand what the fuck you are
talking about!! [aargh]

Erik, I can honestly say you're a lucky guy not knowing the taste of vegemite or marmite.

I dont know the ingredients of marmite, but vegemite is made of bewers yeast which result in a black 'stroop' looking substance that's salty and gross tasting. Compare it too Parodontax toothpaste but much worse.

Here's an extract from the vegemite site:
quote:When a young chemist named Dr Cyril P Callister at the Fred Walker Cheese Company developed a remarkable new spread from brewer's yeast, an Aussie icon was born. The result was a nutritious spread with an appealing taste that is also one of the world's richest known sources of Vitamin B.

PLease note the typo on the vegemite site 'appealing taste' should of course be 'appaling taste'.

I recomend this site to get the general idea what eating vegemite is like. www.cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html

Also I recomend watching this official vegemite commercial which proves without any doubt Vegemite is a danger to your mental well being. www.vegemite.com.au/tv_ads.asp

Now I'm gonna look for some info on Marmite for you!

digger760
01-08-2003, 10:06
Hey, we aussies arn't world champions in rugby, cricket and swimming for nothing you know.

ProPain
01-08-2003, 10:29
Cant really find something really informative on Marmite. Basically it's made from brewers yeast also and the taste is also awfull. On this site www.megee.net/oddities/odd_british_foods/liquid_heifer.htm I learned that that the Bass brewery actually pays the manufacturers of Vegemite and Marmite to relieve them of the leftover brewers yeast that's used as the main ingredient. In other words, these products are made of waste. Gotta love the business model.

PP

anarres
01-08-2003, 11:22
Wow, you looked really hard for the Marmite info PP. [rolleyes]

http://www.marmite.com/marmite/about.html

Would the world be a better place if we wasted more then PP? [???]

digger760
01-08-2003, 11:40
dead yeast is true, but vegemite is only sold in health food shops in Ireland, so it must be good for ya. (marmite is only sold in super markets so it must be muck)

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Vegesong2.mp3 (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/20038111490_Vegesong2.mp3)
117.46KB

ProPain
01-08-2003, 12:02
@anarres, I found that site, but it doesnt really say anything new compared to the vegemite stuff.

Concise version for both products: made of brewers yeast, taste awfull :D

I'm not saying we should waste more, but I think it's generally not a good idea to eat waste. And the vegemite/marmite is no exception to that rule imho.

@digger: That song just proves all over again that this sort of stuff has bad effects on the brain.

anarres
01-08-2003, 12:33
PP, if you make Ice Cream from egg yolks, does that mean you should throw away the egg white 'waste', or use it to make meringue?

The term 'waste' is used to denote anything that is left over from a process, it does not denote refuse or piles of steaming shit. ;)

Shabbaman
01-08-2003, 12:39
Ah...

So what's proper english for piles of steaming shit?

ProPain
01-08-2003, 13:35
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Ah...

So what's proper english for piles of steaming shit?

That would be Marmite iirc.

Grille
01-08-2003, 16:31

Well I addded a 'Dunno' option...

[sad]

That would have been my choice, but it came too late anyways... the propaganda against that yeasty spread has resulted in major prejudice to get even near a tube of veggie/marmite... [lol]

:D
Instead of whining and adding another option, why don't you "soup up" the poll?
:D

Sween
02-08-2003, 04:25
what the hell are you talkign about?

tunerica
03-08-2003, 01:27
Vegemite now reaches 2 votes and goes flying ahead of marmite. I thought that it was time for us Australians to band together and support our nations icon.

The best way to have vegemite is grilled with cheese. Digger makes a good point about the Australian dominance in sport, not bad for a nation of close to 20 million people, on that logic vegemite has to be the best steroid out there.

Ehecatl Atzin
03-08-2003, 02:52
We don't get any of those,um, substances here... but of what I hear I think that's a good thing ;)

ERIKK
03-08-2003, 11:17
quote:Originally posted by tunerica

Vegemite now reaches 2 votes and goes flying ahead of marmite. I thought that it was time for us Australians to band together and support our nations icon.

The best way to have vegemite is grilled with cheese. Digger makes a good point about the Australian dominance in sport, not bad for a nation of close to 20 million people, on that logic vegemite has to be the best steroid out there.
Hmm, I remember us Dutchies beating you are were 'as good as' you guys in YOUR national sport: swimming. Also check the results of the last Olympic Games... (Holland has 16 mil people.)

Nightfa11
04-08-2003, 20:59
quote:
Everyone likes nutella!!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/0804/1589800.html?partnersite=espn

Well, Kobe (for those of you NOT in the know, he's a famous basketball player accused of sexually assaulting [newspeak for rape] a woman) has been dropped as the Nutella sponsor. I'm sure you'll all stop purchasing it now..right? ;)

Sween
04-08-2003, 23:41
no kobe, no nutella.

DrAlimentado
06-08-2003, 01:32
marmite rules. you lot are freaks!

I can just about accept that not everyone likes it though... if everyone liked it there would be no fun in applying a thin veneer of nutella to a super-thick layer of marmite and watching your victims face contort in surprised agony.

fwiw - I like marmite enough to impulse buy the limited edition jars with 'I hate' and 'My mate' labels :D

Shabbaman
06-08-2003, 08:20
Must be a family thing...

Skyfish
06-08-2003, 09:28
And at last the dearly beloved brother valiantly comes to the rescue of his sibling....

[lol]

Sir Eric
06-08-2003, 12:39
There is a third option, Promite. Mmmmm yummmy. It has a smoother taste then Vegemite and it lacks the 'scraped this of the bottom of my shoe' taste of marmite ( I think the poms invented that one). I couldn't vote for promite so I voted Vegemite as a close second.
If I voted for marmite I would have to say 5 G'day mates and 4 struths for absolution.

Swingue
06-08-2003, 13:05
There is a good reason why Australia is so empty. Only the ones who can survive a daily dosis of Marmite/ Vegemite can survive in this country. It would make an easy one for immigration. Just let anyone wanting to move to Ozzieland eat a sandwich Vegemite. If you survive you qualify as an Ozzie.

ProPain
06-08-2003, 13:06
Question to the Aussies. Where does that POM expression come from. An australian once told me she thought it was an abbreviation for Prisoner Of the Motherland, which I think is quite funny but it didn't really sound believable.

Poor anarres, even after he dragged his brother in this poll forcefully marmite still is behind Vegemite.......

Shabbaman
06-08-2003, 13:28
That's probably only until he figures out how to edit the poll results...

digger760
06-08-2003, 13:43
To be honest i don't know....

anarres
06-08-2003, 14:21
Changing the poll would be an act of gross misuse of power, and I've known how to do it all along. [tongue]

Shabbaman
06-08-2003, 14:34
Even without checking I somehow knew you just altered the poll results [rolleyes]

DrAlimentado
14-08-2003, 17:33
hey! I wasn't dragged, I polled for marmite due to my own insidious eating habits [tongue]

I think vegemite is ok, not as good as marmite but then what do you expect from Oz? (just think about the swill that aussies pass of as beer... and I know the claim that aussies always make that they export all the shit and keep the good stuff for themselves - I just choose to ignore such obvious lies ;))

oh and I just noticed the new poll results. Hmmmm... some phrase about power and corruption springs to mind [fdevil]

DrA <-- currently in purgatory, returning to the civ universe soon.

DrAlimentado
14-08-2003, 17:33
No way was that a double post. Never happened, no fucking way.

DrA <-- currently in purgatory, returning to the civ universe soon.

anarres
14-08-2003, 17:43
wb (again) DrA!

To all the Marmite-hating scum out there:

Eat my Marmite! [aargh]

jack merchant
14-08-2003, 18:18
Welcome back DrA ![wavey]

Anarres: Seen anybody about it yet ? [:p]

smalltalk
23-08-2003, 15:54
I know the stuff, and I have had it quite regularely for a while. It's delicious on bread and usefull for spicing up soups etc.

Still not sure about the difference in taste between Marmite/Veggiemite. From what I have read, I figure there is no difference, except that Veggiemite is produced green/organic.

Didn't vote yet.

DrAlimentado
23-08-2003, 17:38
they do actually taste different! Even I can tell that, and my palette is fucked from years of abuse.

smalltalk
24-08-2003, 17:24
Somewhat in the blind, I voted vegemite.

Too bad I missed the original poll results. Would've been interesting to see how many people here do actually have good taste.

(Must go now for a grooming date. Someone has to get the mites out of my fur. ;))

ProPain
25-08-2003, 12:25
Smalltalk, the original poll results are easy to see. anarres didnt mess up the poll count but edited the descriptions. That is 'urght, they're both foul' and 'marmite for me' are switched.

So Marmite loses the vote whereas the vast majority thinks they'e both foul (and rightfully so!)

anarres
25-08-2003, 15:32
Yeah, right ProPain! [rolleyes]

ProPain
27-08-2003, 09:49
This is really personal for you isnt it, anarres?

Skyfish
27-08-2003, 11:35
He don't like losing :D

ERIKK
27-08-2003, 11:54
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

He don't like losing :D
Who does???

fill in a name here: ....

[lol]

Shabbaman
27-08-2003, 12:07
Marmietje ;)

Melifluous
18-02-2005, 23:45
Natex

Melifluous

curtsibling
04-03-2005, 14:59
Both of them constitute total vileness!

I would rather clean a prison 'dirty protest' with bread, and eat it!

[sunn]

classical_hero
01-09-2005, 17:19
[bump] I saw this on the active polls so i had to vote on this thread. I am Australian after all. ;) I am one of those marmite haters, because I only every wil have vegemite, Marmite is just a cheap rip-off and it shows. [:p]

ProPain
02-09-2005, 10:45
Considering anarres blatantly manipulated the results in favor of marmite it's hard to say wether marmite or vegemite got more votes.

Top votes were for 'Urgh, they're both foul!'

Rik Meleet
02-09-2005, 11:35
Vegemite is foul; but Marmite is foul and weaker in taste. A kind of "foul for sissies" if you like.
TBH: Vegemite does get better if you keep trying it once in a while.

I won't bother to vote as the poll is rigged anyway.

Darkness
02-09-2005, 11:42
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

i don't quite agree with that. I think it'd be fun if the "foul taste"-voters manage to beat anarres-marmitelover-pollrigger, despite the fact that the marmite vote count was artificially upped... :)

ProPain
02-09-2005, 16:48
the count wasnt upped, the questions in front of the outcome were swapped. And that's quite easy to just do another time

classical_hero
03-09-2005, 14:42
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

Vegemite is foul; but Marmite is foul and weaker in taste. A kind of "foul for sissies" if you like.
TBH: Vegemite does get better if you keep trying it once in a while.

Alll you need to do with vegemite is spead a thin layer on your toast. Whenever my Pastor goes back to america, he was born in America, he often give people a tast of vegemite, but rather than doing it the proper way with a thin spread on ytour toast, he grabs a spoon and gets a spoonfull of vegemite. Naturally that would be disgusting because too much of it is not good and is what you say. Just little bit of vegemite is the best way to have it.