PDA

View Full Version : Aggie vs Hotrod: MAP MADE

Aggie
28-07-2003, 16:19
Could someone make a map for us with the following specs?

Difficulty: deity
Map: pangaea, standard size, rest random
Civs: up to the map maker, but both with similar traits and similar UU's.
AI civs: 6 of them, up to the map maker.

I really like it when we start not too close to each other. Otherwise it would be over quite quickly. I also like to have decent room to expand for both. Getting cramped at the start of a deity game isn't something I really enjoy!

Nightfa11
28-07-2003, 18:02
I'd be glad to do this. It may be tomorrow, though. I'll see what I can get done. Thanks for making me pick the civs :)

EDIT:
Ok, I hate picking civs for other people.

Here are a couple of choices

China/Ottomans-Rider Early Good, Both Ind, Sipahi later very good

Arabs/Japanese-3 moves versus 4/4

Celts/Aztecs-same traits, early fast UU's

Are those balanced enough for you guys?

Let me know what you think.

Aggie
28-07-2003, 18:36
NF: sounds good to me! However, the Celts/Aztecs wouldn't be my favorite ;)

hotrod0823
28-07-2003, 19:19
I haven't played a games as Japan or a solo as the Arabs.

Like I said anything will do. I just hope I am not not recieving end of Sipahi [lol]

Nightfa11
28-07-2003, 19:51
A-rabs and Japanese it is.

Nightfa11
29-07-2003, 15:43
Here's the start. I thought I'd include a screenshot for you. Sorry if it's a bit cramped[blush2]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Nightfa11/2003729144256_hotvsag.jpg
69.57KB

just kidding. Here's the real start www.dickey.cc/cobra/agvshot.bix

Needs to be converted...obviously

Aggie
29-07-2003, 15:49
[band] Thanks NF [band]

Skyfish or anarres: you both have 1.14? Could one of you convert this one?

PS: there's also another one for me to be converted [:o]

Skyfish
29-07-2003, 17:31
Will try to do this tonight Aggie ;)

hotrod0823
29-07-2003, 18:45
Looking forward to starting ! Luckily your tonight is may afternoon and maybe we can play a few turns today after all.

Looking at the top map I want the Arabs I think they will have more luck with the resources ;) [lol]

Aggie
29-07-2003, 20:43
@Hotrod: It's the holiday season, so the mapmaking takes a bit more time (not everyone that making maps is around).

Normally I can indeed play a couple of turns with Americans this way. I already finished a game with Nightfa11 and the ones vs Cartouche Bee, OPD and Wildfire are quite far!

hotrod0823
29-07-2003, 20:58
Not complaining :) Just ready to get my feet wet and glad to see some people are being soo accommodating. Hopefully I will be able to figure it all out and repay the favors :D

Skyfish
29-07-2003, 23:10
Well that was not as simple as it sounds for idiots like me man ! [wallbash]

Password is : admin

Aggie Japan player1
Hotrod Arabia player5

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif AggievsHotrod-4000BC.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200372922842_AggievsHotrod-4000BC.SAV)
67.97*KB

Just pray I did not fuck it all up ! [dunno]

Aggie
29-07-2003, 23:15
Thanks a lot for all your blood, sweat and tears sky [thumbsup]

Aggie
23-10-2003, 15:47
I asked DrA, Sky and Killer to judge the map, because Hotrod and me suspect that it is unbalanced. Could you guys place your comments here? Thanks :) Hotrod and me will then work it out what to do.

Lt. Killer M
23-10-2003, 15:53
I think the map is unbalanced in several respects which together make it decidely unfair. I would recommend a restart.

Skyfish
23-10-2003, 16:50
My decision on the Aggie/Hotrod game is that it is too unbalanced vs Aggie to be a Ladder game.

Example 1 :
The nearest AI to Aggie is 13 tiles away, the nearest AI to Hotrod is 33 tiles aways

Example 2 :
Hotrod has his whole peninsula only to himself with a tile ishtmus
Aggie has a smaller peninsula (not with a 1 tile sihtmus) which is
shared with a powerful AI who has capital on flood plain.

Lt. Killer M
23-10-2003, 17:18
to add ot what sky said: hotrod is expansionist, thsu knew early on that he had the peninsular with the isthmus. This adds to the advantage even more.

hotrod0823
24-10-2003, 02:14
I am not surprised to hear that the map is unbalanced. Sky and Killer are right on. It is probably best to put this game to rest and restart if Aggie is up for it following his holiday.

DrAlimentado
24-10-2003, 04:11
I have no problem with the decision at all - but just an observation for mapmakers and wannabee mapmakers; it is only the presence of the rival ai in aggies penninsula (relative to no nearby ai at all for hotrod) that makes this map unfair enough for a restart to be reasonable imo.

The fact that hotrod has a slightly bigger penninsula and an easy choke are an advantadge but are not huge imo (not compared to the usual imbalance in any map). And the fact he is expansionist is irrelevant imo - you picks ya traits and ya takes ya chances ;)
I just wanted to point this out so (future? possible?) mapmakers don't feel they have to make everyones start identical! If hotrod had had an ai civ up his ass like aggie did I'm sure the map would have been seen as being essentially fair.

Aggie
24-10-2003, 07:57
I myself have checked the bix now (the one in this thread). The map wasn't unbalanced, but:

Nightfa11 had less than 8 player starting positions defined!! So what happened: the remaining civ was placed on MY peninsula and therefore made my life very difficult. So my conclusion is that the map wasn't unbalanced itself, but got unbalanced because of one tiny detail that developed into a huge thing.

Anyway: thank you very much Nightfa11 for that map. We all can have this happen. There's a map somewhere with 9 starting positions and an AI ended up where I didn't want it ;)

Skyfish
24-10-2003, 07:59
quote:If hotrod had had an ai civ up his ass like aggie did I'm sure the map would have been seen as being essentially fair.

We agree 100%.
That statement is totally true. I think me and Killer were enumerating *additional* factors (none can be taken separate) that make the map even more unbalanced on top of a main sticking point, aggravating factors you call them.
Get my drift ?

hotrod0823
24-10-2003, 08:14
The only thing that is of note is how long it took me to make contact with the AI. 4 AI were close to each other and by the time I met any of them I found myself in a deep hole (Par for the course in deity I realize). That and the fact that I got zero techs from the 8 or so huts I popped. The only advantage I had was space. Getting AI contacts late makes catchup all the more difficult.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

Lt. Killer M
24-10-2003, 10:46
DrA: indeed, it is the AI. But even that would have been tolerable if it had not been for the aggrevating other factors.

hotrod: a good map deal (you were not that far yet i understand) would have offered itself......