PDA

View Full Version : Artillery or not?

anarres
28-07-2003, 10:54
I have been reluctant to use artillery in PBEM's because of the danger of them being intercepted by your opponent.

Has anyone been using them, and if so what steps have you taken to protect them?

col
28-07-2003, 11:01
I seem to remeber Aggie losing a big stack to Erik in one game. Personally I like to use an infantry army for that purpose. Same move speed and will soak up a huge amount of punishment.

ProPain
28-07-2003, 19:45
So funny, we discussed that particular Aggie-Erik incident yesterday in Amsterdam.

I dont use em very much in SP nor MP, mostly because I believe in speed over bombing. Artillery/Cannons and the likes slow your troops down to much. But after yesterday I'm tempted to start a single player game where I built an excessive amount to test their usage.

jack merchant
07-08-2003, 15:22
Cartouche Bee used an enormous amount of cannon and artillery against me, and I got clobbered. You'll need to be very careful about protecting them of course, but overall, I'm certainly convinced now that it's a good idea to build a good amount of guns.

In SP, it's an even better idea - in the CG7 succession game where I finished up, I kept building artillery until we had about 120 in total. That's absolutely unstoppable for any AI until Mech Inf (in fact, MI hold up so well against artillery that I think the Radar Artillery should be drawn forward in the tech tree).

yndy
07-08-2003, 16:09
Given Moonsiger is around here I have a strange feeling we'll see more of those guns.