PDA

View Full Version : screen names (noms du keyboard)

prettyvacant
17-07-2003, 13:46
if you like put an explanation of why you chose to be called your CDZ/CFC name in this thread (there might be something like this on CFC but I cant get it at work cos of the pop ups)

alternatively guess why people chose. My guesses include:

col: named after a small mountain in N Yorks where he had his first sexual experience

dr alimentado: named after the portuguese dietician with whom he had his first sexual experience (hmm - is there a theme emerging here?)

stapel: named from his lifetime desire to live in the navel of a playboy model

skyfish: named after the fish in the mirror joke in the roman polanski short

my name? largely from the song (boring but true)

digger760
17-07-2003, 14:59
I was picking my nose when i registered for CFC.

Here is the real reason:
Some irish fella i used to work at with AOL called me digger (a digger being a term used to describe an australian soldier, and the avatar is what an australian soldier has on his hat). So i created an AIM handle for it. I left AOL but kept the AIM name. So when i joined CFC being an uncreative thinker i used the same name. i don't really like it but for some reason am reluctant to change it. In the early days of Civ i used to go by the name of GregTheGreat. But that would'nt be suitable if i lost all the time.

jack merchant
17-07-2003, 16:02
Which song prettyvacant ?

col
17-07-2003, 16:16
We're so pretty, oh so pretty, vacant.
Sex Pistols

Sniff .

The kids of today just dont know their punk history any more.

And a col is a small valley between 2 mountains - oops more sexual references.

digger760
17-07-2003, 17:06
I'm not sure if thats the sex pistols singin but it is sung in there style

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif prettyvacant.mp3 (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/200371717436_prettyvacant.mp3)
3476.47KB

WildFire
17-07-2003, 17:42
My name is the name I use for gaming online.

Nightfa11
17-07-2003, 19:05
Nightfall is from a book by Mickey Zucker Reichert called the Legend of Nightfall. I picked it up when I played more "personally" violent games like Quake and Counterstrike. The Legend of Nightfall is also a poem (that is contained in the book). It goes something like this:

quote:
A demon wakens with the night, 1
Reviling sun and all things bright.
Evil's friend and virtue's foe-
Darkness comes where Nightfall goes.

Eyes darker than the midnight shade, 1
Teeth sharper than the headsman's blade.
When he smiles a cold wind blows-

When shadows fall and sunlight breaks, 1
What Nightfall touches, Nightfall takes.
Lives and silver, maids in bows-

A demon cruel; a monster stark, 2
Grim moonlight, deepest dark.
Nightmares come to those who doze-
In darkness where old Nightfall goes.

Nightfall laughs, and death's ax falls. 1
Hell opens wide and swallows all.
He rules the depths where no light shows-

Lock up your children after dark, 1
Lest Nightfall find an easy mark.
For safety ends at twilight's close-
And darkness comes where Nightfall goes.

Razor claws and fiery eyes, 2
Leathern wings to cleave the skies.
His soul within stark midnight froze-

Counting years like grains of sand. 1
Countless fall beneath his hand.
Time, his minion; night, his clothes-

Birthed within the black abyss, 2
His silent gift, a deadly kiss.
Gone before the rooster crows-

Wolves and bats and beasts of night, 1
Spirits black that flee the light,
Cringed in fear when he arose-

He feeds on elders and children, 2
On soldiers, kings, and beggarmen.
He never stops and never slows-

The Evil One, the demon blight 1
Who hides in day and stalks the night.
He steals the stars and drags them low-

If you haven't read the book, you might also want to know that Nightfall isn't such a bad guy. He's more misunderstood than anything :) It's his legend that is larger than life.

I switched Nightfall to Nightfa11 because NightfaLL was taken and Nightfaoneone was not.

I also go by vcdechagn sometimes. Any musical fan can probably get that one (especially a fan of ALW)

Skyfish
17-07-2003, 21:33
One of the two reasons for "Skyfish" comes from Emir Kusturica's movie "Arizona Dream", anyone seen it ?
I do like Roman Polanski's films though....

Melifluous
17-07-2003, 21:40
I started a character once in an online MUD called clandestine...

I was playing a female healer and Melifluous seemed like a nice name, soft and honeyed. :p

Melifluous

Gothmog
17-07-2003, 22:40
Gothmog is a LOtR reference, but only from the silmarillion - lord of balrogs and high commander of Morgoth's army. Thus Gothmog represents power and strategy, but Gothmog is also defeated eventually in single combat by Echthelion and so represents failability and mortality.

Gothmog was also the name given to a large bong I used to smoke from in college.

smalltalk
17-07-2003, 23:41
I'm using smalltalk as a brand for my music and on my homepage. After years in bands or solo-projects with outrageous or grandeur names ('the girls of apocalypse', 'gestapo d'amour', 'superuser') I felt, it was time for a more modest and decent name.

smalltalk is a programming language, IIRC the first object-orientated one. I first came across it when writing my graduation paper on artificial intelligence and expert systems. So the origin of the nick goes back to over a decade. Time flies like an arrow. :D

Also, 'smalltalk' is kind of a private joke, cause in RL I'm not really a talkative person. I can talk for hours on certain topics, but I often fall silent when it comes to the more lighthearted content-free conversation. Anyway, I thought it would be a good nick for general babbling on web-forums.

jack merchant
18-07-2003, 00:56
I'm using a loose (and as it turned out, faulty) translation of my actual name in English. This mainly comes from playing Championship Manager too much - I used to translate my name for a manager name whenever managing a club in a foreign league. If this were a French forum, I'd be known as Jacques Marchand ;)

Taurendil
18-07-2003, 03:44
Taurendil was my first ever dungeons and dragons character. I didn't think of this myself, my first dungeon master came up with it. I was playing an elven ranger. Apparently "taur" or "taure" is elven for forest, and "'dil" is elven for "friend" or "lover". So my name means "friend of the forest" which is quite fitting for a ranger. Yes, i realise it could just as well be interpreted as "treelover" or "treehugger". I used the name quite extensively later on in numerous MUDs and other computer games.
By the way, can you imagine what an incredible geek my first DM must have been since he came up with that translation on the spot?

Skyfish
18-07-2003, 09:05
Geeks make the best ever DMs !

ERIKK
18-07-2003, 09:18
What is a DM, what is a MUD? WTF are you two talking about?????

btw,
ERIKK is the mythological name of a great present day hero who defeated evil demons and saved the world from great doom many, many times! Many songs and poems have been written about him and the lyrics, texts all express the same worship for this great man! :D

Stapel
18-07-2003, 09:43
Stapel is simply what my passport sais!

col
18-07-2003, 09:50
I cant be arsed to type in more than 3 letters for a name.

Skyfish
18-07-2003, 09:51
[lol]
And Erikk was the one making fun of Stapel who did not know Chewbacca, well...[scratch]

ERIKK
18-07-2003, 10:00
So, DM (= dungeon master I think) and MUD are common knowledge, like Star Wars???

Shabbaman
18-07-2003, 10:13
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

ERIKK is the mythological name of a great present day hero who defeated evil demons and saved the world from great doom many, many times! Many songs and poems have been written about him and the lyrics, texts all express the same worship for this great man! :D

Parallel to that, Shabbaman is the nephew of Superman ;)
That's right, I have godlike powers!

digger760
18-07-2003, 10:15
yes DM is the dungean master for the RPG D&D. The DM does the RNG for the AI.

dont know what MUD is.

Shabbaman
18-07-2003, 10:18
On a more serious note, although I'm sure I've mentioned it on this forum before, some fraternity nicknamed me 'Shabby', meaning both 'bald' and 'clochard-like'. In the Groningen student lingo 'shabba' means something like 'stuff' and 'things' and a whole lot of undefined objects. Actually, when you're too lazy to come up with an actual word you just say 'shabba' (I'm not making this up!) so Shabbaman sounds very appropriate.

I am the nephew of Superman though.

Cruise
18-07-2003, 10:26
Basically my last name, with some anglification :)

digger760
18-07-2003, 10:32
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

'shabba' means something like 'stuff' and 'things' and a whole lot of undefined objects.

The irish have a similare word "yolk", genrally used to refer to kitchen utensils, like an egg flip, tin opener, carrot peeler.

ERIKK
18-07-2003, 10:46
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I am the nephew of Superman though.
You are not my nephew! CHEATER!!!

Taurendil
18-07-2003, 10:56
MUD = Multi-User Dungeon. It's like an MMOPRG (massive multiplayer on-line roleplaying game) but without the graphics. Yes, entirely text based. There are probably still thousands of these servers around, but for me it was the entire internet, and about the only thing i did from 1995 to 1998. Imagine it to be more versatile than any game could possibly be (due to it being text-based and not confined by graphics), and more addictive than any game you have ever played.

col
18-07-2003, 12:30
Hehe - I was involved with Steve Jackson at uni before he founded Games Workshop when D and D was first getting started around 1975/76. We used to play test board games for magazines and he wrote about it.

I still remember when Colossal Adventure arrived for the uni Dec10 in 1977. All work stopped until we'd solved it. Do the words PLUGH and XYZZY mean anything to you?

MUD was the name of an early multi user text adventure which then became a generic term for all such games.

anarres
18-07-2003, 16:34
When I joined CFC I had recently read The Disposessed by Ursula Le Guin.

I was so impressed with the lead character (who lived in a society of anarchists) that I chose to call myself after him. Unfortunately someone had already taken the name (Shevek), so I called myself after the moon they lived on, anarres.

My anarchist theme came from there, I guess my interpretation of anarchism was a little uninformed until I read the book. I realised that I had many anarchist ideals, maybe even more than I have communist ideals. It is still one of the best books I have ever read.

Melifluous
20-07-2003, 00:07
quote:Originally posted by Taurendil

MUD = Multi-User Dungeon. .... Imagine it to be more versatile than any game could possibly be (due to it being text-based and not confined by graphics), and more addictive than any game you have ever played.

Try slamming this into the command line from DOS...

telnet://clandestinemud.com:9476

Melifluous

I love this MUD and have been playing it on and off for about 5-6 years. Also as an aside, I used to be an AD&D DM, I once wasted an entire summer, sat in a field rolling dice and following my friends as they got the girl, killed the baddie and saved the entire planet...

Also bonus points if anyone can give me the band that wrote a song of the same name (get the girl, kill the baddie and saved the entire planet)...

Grille
20-07-2003, 03:59
MUD, DM, RPG, RNG, AI, DOS, WTF? LOL! [lol]
---> PWEI
quote:... and following my friends as they got the girl, killed the baddie and saved the entire planet...
... at least you saved us from unintentional interruptions by nasty, evil creatures ([hmm]these would have been parents or younger siblings?) by rolling the dice! Yeah!

Grille
20-07-2003, 04:18
off topic: My screen name is my r/l nick-name. Translates to cricket.
on topic: I *think* Pop Will Eat Itself was right, but I'd be glad to pass the PCP -Pop Challenge Cup- to the poster who will answer this one (plus the usual bonus points, of course!): Before joining Sex Pistols, Sid Vicious was playing with...?

jack merchant
20-07-2003, 15:58
Is it possible to determine the temperature by listening to you too ;) ?

prettyvacant
21-07-2003, 21:46
quote:Originally posted by Grille

Before joining Sex Pistols, Sid Vicious was playing with...?

to answer your question I could say Jah Wobble, [band] but presumably you meant the name of the band, in which case nafc. I remember that sid named jah whose real name was something like John Wardle (?) (I also remember seeing Jah Wobble (called at that time the Jah Wobble Band?? live in Brixton backing the Dead Kennedys - around the time of the smash hits "holiday in cambodia" and "Too drunk to fuck" [eek] which amazingly got into the UK top 40 !!!!!!!!! - I think that was before he joined PIL)
ah happy days, and to think i coulda been MUDing me DMs

Edit: he was of course supporting the DKs not backing them.

prettyvacant
21-07-2003, 21:56

By the way, can you imagine what an incredible geek my first DM must have been since he came up with that translation on the spot?

how can you translate from something that does not exist? eg the elven for worldchampion is prettyvacant. Or is there an elven dictionary, as iirc there is a Vulcan one)

smalltalk
21-07-2003, 22:16
Anarres, I happen to have read 'The Disposessed' too. I guess your nick was one of the reasons that made me follow the link to this side.

jack merchant
21-07-2003, 23:55
There may very well be an Elven dictionary - Tolkien was a trained linguist who took great care in designing the languages of his world.

Grille
22-07-2003, 00:13
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

[mad2]
If you're referring to the "quality" of junk I post (you evil flamer ;)) then you could rather determine the air humidity... [lol]

prettyvacant: I was thinking of Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sid played(?) the drums during their first (?) live gig.

anarres
22-07-2003, 00:31
quote:Originally posted by smalltalk

Anarres, I happen to have read 'The Disposessed' too. I guess your nick was one of the reasons that made me follow the link to this side.
[thumb2]

Taurendil
22-07-2003, 03:24
quote:Originally posted by prettyvacant

how can you translate from something that does not exist? eg the elven for worldchampion is prettyvacant. Or is there an elven dictionary, as iirc there is a Vulcan one)

Oh, he didn't invent it on the spot if that's what you were thinking. IIRC Tolkien developped the halfling culture and language a lot more than then Elven, but there are still hundreds of 'official' Elven words and sentences.

jack merchant
22-07-2003, 12:59

[quote]Originally posted by jack merchant

[mad2]
If you're referring to the "quality" of junk I post (you evil flamer ;)) then you could rather determine the air humidity... [lol]

Hehe, no, I was merely referring to the fact thati it is in fact possible to determine the air temperature by the frequency of a cricket's chirping :)

prettyvacant
22-07-2003, 21:17

[quote]prettyvacant: I was thinking of Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sid played(?) the drums during their first (?) live gig.

i would have guessed that sid was already with the pistols at that point but I bow to your superior wisdom. you're right about one thing tho, he played drums as well as he played bass and sang.

Melifluous
23-07-2003, 14:26
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant
Hehe, no, I was merely referring to the fact thati it is in fact possible to determine the air temperature by the frequency of a cricket's chirping :)

Now I cannot let that go without awarding the official "GEEK" award...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/melifluous/2003723142624_geek.jpg
20.63KB

Congrats

Melifluous

Aggie
23-07-2003, 14:47
Hmmm...Aggie. That's how I am called by my friends (they think Willem-Jan is too long), so it seemed only logical to choose it for surfing the internet. However, when I tried to register at Apolyton, it appeared that my name was already taken by someone with more than 1000 posts behind his name (he must be spamming the place ;). So there I'm called 'Ageling'. But I wonder if I ever posted there...

jack merchant
23-07-2003, 16:12
ROFLMAO at Melifluous.....I'm not a geek, I just have an excelllent memory for trivia !

And for the record, I picked up this little tidbit from a sample used in a track from Money Mark's (the Beastie Boys' DJ) solo album - which comes highly recommended btw :)

Ehecatl Atzin
25-07-2003, 02:07
my name is in nahuatl (aztec) Ehecatl is the god of winds, or Quetzalcoatl manifesting his wind-controling powers, Atzin means little or holy water. So together they mean either The god of windy waters; rain, holy rain or little rain; depends on the mood [crazyeye]
Oh, and that's my artistic name: on a trip to Mexico city with a couple of friends, we meet the local bohemian/eclectic circle over there, they decided my real name was unbefiting of my work as a painter, so they decided to baptise me with an aztec name... they thru me drunk and naked into a tub of beer and christened me Ehecatl Atzin.... I've never looked back [viking]

Eldakkar
25-07-2003, 09:49
Eldakkar is the name of a tribe in a computer game that I am/was strangely fascinated with. It's quite old and called Warlords II.
I suppose most strategy game fans have heard of it.

I have the habit of choosing a name that pops into my mind at the time of choosing so it doesn't make ANY sense.

My cfc name is from the same game as well btw : Oinland

Black_Waltz
01-08-2003, 14:36
My name seems very boring compared to your well thought out names. *sniffs*

Black Waltz was basically taken from Final Fantasy IX. I loved the name. Sounded elegant yet dark. And wow... Col knows Steve Jackson! *bows down* Them books shaped my childhood and created the monster I am now. :-p Damn those Skill 7 HP 10 Orcs...

china444
19-08-2003, 16:30
My name is simple.

Its china. With 3 4's.

Pastorius
26-10-2004, 09:11
I saw a bot "looking" at this thread, and since Krys started reviving old threads some time ago, I thought what the heck

When I came to CFC, I had just got Civ3, and I had played a chieftain game as Greece. I liked playing as Greece,so I thought...hm...do I know any ancient greek leaders.

I remembered Pericles
But I thought...hm...what if I combine Pericles with my real name

And Paalikles it was. Paal being my real name and all that.
For reference, Paal = Paul in English

Socrates
26-10-2004, 11:39
Bots are very useful to this site, I guess. :D

I chose my nick a few years ago, before actually starting to really surf on the Net and registering to forums. I decided to use the same one on every board, unless I have the urgent need to be in hidden mode (I guess it hasn't happened yet). [lol] It's basically my 1st name written differently, à la Russian or East-European. I changed every letter I could, and got the central part from Polish cities. Thus, I'm glad to not use a name related to one forum.

My current avatar is what I believe is a statue of Socrates that I picked on the Net ; I drawed some sun glasses for him cause he looks cool now. [thumbsup] I used MSPaint for that, clicking black dots in zoomed view until I was satisfied (true !). Socrates is definitively stronger than Pericles, me thinks ; he'll win anytime in every Ancient Greek fight sport.

Matrix
26-10-2004, 15:31
My nick? Uhh, I thought it sounded cool. [rabbit]

And it kinda resembles my first name: Maarten.

I chose it just before the movie The Matrix was widespread known, including myself. The first time I used it was because I needed a nick when becoming a member at a Laser Quest club on january 21st 2000. So everybody thought I was unoriginal and I chose it because of the movie. :( What it really means is: mathematical table. And Schwarzenegger was "Colonel Matrix" in Commando. ;) Those are the two associations I had when choosing it. But the real reason is: I thought it sounded cool. [rolleyes]

Lt. Killer M
26-10-2004, 15:42
I belong into the 'I didn't choose it' category.

The name stems from a long-dead Falcon 4.0 community. Quite a few real pilots freequented it, and the chats 8what counted as chat back then) were full of callsigns and stuff. A noob would choose a ncik, but regualrs soon got christened.
As I wasn't much good at flying the F-16, I flew the program instead - whcih meant seemingly suicidal frontal gun attacks. 'Suicidal maniac' quickly becam 'suicidal maniac KILLER' as my kills piled up.

The Lt. was the rank you entered at. AS I had the feared graphics card bug problem (some cards would lead to a crash on landing) I had to end all mission 'in the air', resulting in no points and no promotions.

Lt. 'Killer' M. (for my last name) stuck quickly. :D It goes well with my volatile nature.

Ginger_Ale
26-10-2004, 22:06
Erm...I was joining the cfc chatroom...and I needed a name...and I was drinking soda...so I chose this.

Tis the best, isn't it? ;) Now I use this everywhere.

Rik Meleet
29-10-2004, 22:16
Back in 1994 I played online "Nettrek", a star trek variant. It wasn't my login, but I saw a player with that name. About 2000 I had to choose a hotmail address and it just popped up from memory. And since then I use it everywhere.

Although my first name isn't anything like "Rik" I find myself even responding to it in reallife. [hmm]

LLXerxes
23-12-2004, 17:37
When I signed up for CFC I loved Persia. And, at school, everybody thinks i'm funny (:/) so the name LOLXerxes came to mind. Hello Typo. LLXerxes was born.,....
btw it has nothing to do with girls... incase Tim and Troy are browsing the site. *coug* idiots hahaha

Ville, my first name :)

EDIT: Fixed the friggin smilie code...

Melifluous
22-02-2005, 16:41
Thats more like it! [goodjob]

All these pussies hiding behind these stoopid names and it takes a proper Viking (lol at Paal) to just stand up and use his/her real name.

Oh and hi Ville [wavey]

Melifluous [:p]
(As soft and honeyed as that morning after the night before kind of bowl filling, bog stinking shit)