game vs aggie small map monarch I'm china he's eygptians

here's the start. Quite pleased especially as Aggie's didn't look too good
Image Insert:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/2003620225051_aggieaaa.jpg

OPD
05-07-2003, 12:28
First build items were.
warrior, warrior, warrior, warrior, settler, granary

theres a cow to the right of the pic, the second city was built nearby. With the cow irrigated and a granary built that city would grow every 3 turns.

anarres
05-07-2003, 15:26
Is there any other bonus tiles witht he cow? With bonus grasslands and another bonus tile you can get a 4 turn settler factory. :)

OPD
05-07-2003, 16:58
Unfortunately there wasn't and I don't think I could have got the 8 sheilds per turn needed anyway. If I had moved my settler one to the right before building it would have been possible with the game tile in my capital but I don't like having my capital as a stlr pump.

Have just taken the russian capital. Will post more shots later.

OPD
07-07-2003, 16:17
here's a shot from 1475bc.
my second city is working a settler pump every 6 turns. Granaries were built there and in the capital very early on. Am quite happy with these 5 core cities am using RCP, each city being 3.5 from the capital and all producing 3 shields before any are lost to waste.
At this time I was build warriors for upgrade once I had iron. Was eventually able to upgrade 10 swords and go on a rampage.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/200377161339_1475.jpg
74.14KB

OPD
07-07-2003, 16:22
here's a shot from 900bc all core cities have barracks and either temple or granary. have two settlers going south to secure luxuries and the city to the south east is set to pump workers eventually, probably for working but am also thinking about add to citys up to size 12 once I have luxs hooked up.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/200377161946_900.jpg
75.43KB

OPD
07-07-2003, 16:31
As soon as I had ten warriors and the gold I upgraded and went on the offensive. It put me a bit behind in tech but have since caught up.
The swords made easy work of the russians. The objective was to raze all their cities to give me room to expand into. I could have taken a few of them but I didn't want them to upset my city placement plans.

It was made easier by the fact that aggie was already at war with them and so all thier cities had been pop rushed. Although aggie does have a city quite close to my land now. :(

the plan now is to build two cities in old russian territory to block the south and then expand from the core outwards. Am going to bag some of that incense near aggie's city which will make 4 lux in total.

Am decided whether to take the last russian city or leave it as a GL farm for my elites. But will probably send some elites down to the Ironquios aswell.

Other than that am going to beeline for republic get core cities up to size 10+ then trigger GA and hope I can run away with it.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/20037803048_9992.jpg
65.43KB

anarres
07-07-2003, 17:01
OPD, try reloading your image without spaces in the name.

OPD
08-07-2003, 00:33
or without a # in the name

OPD
09-07-2003, 22:22
I built 3 new cities in the area in the above pic and things were looking good.

Then aggie declared war and got both AI to join in. He razed the 3 new cities I'd built, (2 of them 1 turn before walls were to be completed.

I think I'd have the production edge to take him in a prolonged war but also I think I have more chance with peace. Republic is only 6 turns away. So we have agreed to a treaty after much wrangling I get some land but Aggie gets alot more and I don't get to use riders against him :(. We have a NAP untill Bachs is built and he gets a lux and chivalry. It is very much in his favour but I can't see myself doing any damage to his core whereas he is on my doorstep. And I prefer peaceful building to a war. Unless I'm the aggressor.

OPD
09-07-2003, 22:33
Also I am told I produced a GL which Aggie kindly disposed of. :(

OPD
10-07-2003, 22:30
Slipped into anarchy while at war.
Peace is avaliable with US but they sent 2 settler stacks into my territory??

Rep in 5 turns.

OPD
11-07-2003, 19:30
250bc switched to republic.

230bc agreed peace with US and Aztecs had to pay about 60 g to each of them. Gave 22 gpt to US for lit and currency. Then lit and currency plus 7gpt to aztecs for construct and polythesism. Still making 32gpt but research is 30+ turns w/o running a deficit.

OPD
11-07-2003, 20:53
150bc (iirc) aggie gets rep and sells it for a fortune to the AI's. :(

My game plan is ruined. I was hoping for at least 10 more turns before the AI got it then selling it on myself. Looks like I won't have the lead I was counting on :(. I guess I'll come down to who can get the first MA tech and sell it on. Am researching mono hope aggie is too. ATM is 10 turns but that is at a big deficit will have markets soon so prob get mono is 14 turns.

ProPain
30-07-2003, 11:20
So how's this game getting along OPD?

OPD
06-08-2003, 23:46
Been a while, and alot has happened we agreed on peace untill I could build Cav and importantly untill Bahcs is completed. I was able to get a 4 tech lead in the MA mainly due to a more or less peaceful GA. I took out the US and Aggie took out the Aztecs except for one city.

It's the IA now and I have steam power and industrialization. Aggie caught me up in tech towards the end of the MA but I have a 2 tech lead again iirc.

Aggie surpassed me in GNP a while ago :( although I hoping I have the edge once corruption is factored in...

THe interesting thing is that the peace agreement only allows war once someone has built bachs which requires a non essential tech. As the tech pace was fast we were both unwilling to research it and loose the 4 turns. I half expected aggie to go for it (well hoped he would). I set up a "sucker punch" just off his west coast 12 cav and 3 muskets just waiting to strike.

OPD
06-08-2003, 23:53
In the last few turns I've started connecting up my cities with rail for defence and have a large number of cannons and muskets which I'm planning on marching through his land with.

I was originally planning on winning by superior naval power, I figured if I had the GL and naval supremacy I could drop units anywhere and achieve "local superiority" and wreck havok. However Aggie has the GL and will soon have rail too.

I prebuilt 5 factories for when I got industrialization and am now biting the bullet and researching Music theory, I may even get to attack before aggie has rail road seriously in place

OPD
12-08-2003, 21:04
Built bachs a few turns ago and attacked this turn.

Was able to grab ToE and get replacable parts and atomic theory. Have started upgrading artillary and infanty and am taking up strategic locations.

Aggie has rail everywhere and has been drafting riflemen in non-productive cities. :)

I don't have nationalism but am hoping it'll be a while before aggie gets replacable parts.

OPD
12-08-2003, 21:07
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/200381221449_milladvisor.jpg
62.88KB

here's my millitary, I'm in the process of upgrading the cannons and muskets but it's still going to be a while even at 100% tax.

I have 4 infantry fortified on a mountain in a fortress protecting some artillary which are within 2 tiles of one of aggies cities. :)

OPD
15-08-2003, 01:01
OMG Aggie captured a load of my artillary!!!

I had upgraded a load of the cannons shown above and placed them 2 tiles from one of his cities defended by numerous infantry in a fortress!!!! but some how Aggie killed all the defenses with cavalry and took them!!!

sensing the end could be in sight with such a huge loss I've thrown everything I have at him including all my cannons, muskets, riders and even left over swordsmen, it was very close but have retaken them. :D

The only problem now is the huge fear of losing almost all my millitary in a counter attack.

Aggie's millitary was strong compared to me at the start of the turn and despite not losing many units due to artillary and cannons I'm still weak :( even though I killed about 20 infantry.

Here is a shot of what I have in the fortress 2 NE of Aggie's city, what you can't see are alot of cannons and a load more cav and infantry, all wounded of course

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/200381505311_OMG.jpg
81.14*KB

I've asked to speak to Ag before sending the turn, if I lose this stack I'll be completely defenceless but he'll have to have at least 40 fast attack units capable of beating miscellaneous wounded troops in a fortress to do so. I've also had to leave a very strategic city undefended, I just hope aggie won't see it.

:(

anarres
15-08-2003, 10:45
Wow, a desperate move, but I think you were right in going for it.

According to Aggie's spoiler (and this is not prividged info) you had only 3 infantry defending the stack. [eek]

OPD
15-08-2003, 12:53
I figured 3 vet infantry fortified in a fortress with arty support would be far too much of a gamble for Ag to attack. I figure thats a def of 18.5!! with artillary support!! I just hope he lost alot of cav taking them although he became strong millitarily compared to me when I got the turn and still is at the end of the turn :(

anarres
15-08-2003, 13:18
Well, umm, he can have artillery too can't he?

OPD
15-08-2003, 18:12
It appears so.[cry]

So anyway I get the save and it appears Ag has sent me the wrong turn as I get asked for the Eygptian password.

I load up the save again and see that Ag was definately the last person to play. SO I enter the admin password and... drum roll please... I get the following screen.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/OPD/200381518720_Loss.jpg
60.9KB

it appears leaving a city undefended within cav distance is a bad idea, especially if all your cities are connected by rail.

So I guess the award for the most unbelievably stupid move ever goes to me, I really am a fool.

Anyway I'm quite happy with the way I played except for the last 5 turns (I suck at war :() but think Ag deserved to win as he had alot in his favour, stronger millitary, I was getting hit bad by WW and I really shouldn't have made huge errors like I did.

So anyway well done Aggie [goodjob]

now to go and read his spoiler.

OPD
15-08-2003, 18:14
Even looking from the pic I can see why I lost he has unproductive cities surrounded by irrigation so they grow quicker and can be drafted more whereas my unproductive cities are surrounded by mines. :(

Aggie
15-08-2003, 18:24
OPD: you played a great game and I was getting more and more frustrated that I couldn't catch up. The GA was perfectly timed! I knew that time was going to mend most of it, but I feel that I escaped a space race loss here :)

anarres
15-08-2003, 18:25
Congrats on completing your first ladder game! No worries, you need several more losses to reach jack's position. :D

anarres
15-08-2003, 18:26
I also thought I would mention that this game has been completed in a an amazingly short time for PBEM that has got as far as the Industrial Age. I guess 2 dedicated players can complete very quickly.

OPD
15-08-2003, 18:48
Another mistake I made was counting on a GL to build my FP, something weird happened with barbs that I meant to get a screen shot of but didn't get round to. Two barb explosions happened to the north of my land but none of them attacked me. Instead all 48 of them moved further north and just stopped on the same tile cut off from the rest of the land by a mountain. They stayed there for a long time before I eventually killed them although I only got 3 elites when I did.